Windows 10: Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by oneLess, Oct 6, 2016.

1. oneLess Win User

Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10

Windows 10 allows you to Print to XPS natively using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer feature. Microsoft XPS Document Writer lets you create a XPS file of the contents of any web page or file without the need to use third-party software.

The .xps file created by Microsoft XPS Document Writer can be opened by any app that supports this format. XPS Viewer is the default app used to open .xps files with in Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to add or remove the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove a printer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in Settings
    • Option Two: To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in Devices and Printers
    • Option Three: To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in PowerShell
    • Option Four: To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Add "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer

EXAMPLE: "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" printer

Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Printers & scanners on the left side, click/tap on Microsoft XPS Document Writer under Printers & scanners on the right side, and click/tap on Remove device. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in Devices and Printers
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Devices and Printers icon.

2. Right click or press and hold on the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer, and click/tap on Remove device. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close Devices and Printers if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Remove-Printer -Name "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"

3. You can now close PowerShell if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Remove "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow printui.exe /dl /n "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"

3. You can now close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Add "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" Printer
    1. Make sure that both XPS Services and XPS Viewer are checked (turned on) in Windows Features.

*note This step is no longer available or required starting with Windows 10 version 1803. Continue on to step 2 below.

2. Do step 3 (Settings) or step 4 (Devices and Printers) for how you would like to open the Add Printer wizard.

3. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.
    A) Click/tap on Printers & scanners on the left side, and click/tap on Add a printer or scanner on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the The printer that I want isn't listed link when it appears, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Devices and Printers icon.
    A) Click/tap on Add a printer in the toolbar of Devices and Printers. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the The printer that I want isn't listed link, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Select (dot) Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

6. Select (dot) Use an existing port, select PORTPROMPT: (Local Port) from its drop down menu, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Select Microsoft in the left pane, select Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 in the right pane, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

8. Select (dot) Use the driver that is currently installed, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

9. Rename the printer to only be Microsoft XPS Document Writer, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

10. Check or uncheck Set as the default printer for what you want, and click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

11. You can close Settings or Devices and Printers if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

oneLess, Oct 6, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

download microsoft xps document writer v4

Hi Patty, that is the version that comes with Windows 10 . . .

This is how to reinstall the XPS Document Writer in Windows 10

Open Control Panel

Go Devices and Printers and select Add a Printer

Select Local Printer.

Under the existing Port pulldown menu, select XPS Port

Select next

The select Microsoft, under manufacturer

The select Microsoft XPS Document writer. Next . . .

That's it!

DaveM121, Oct 6, 2016
  3. Printer Spooler Service stops after upgrading to Windows 10

Try this.

Open the Start menu and click on "Devices and Printers."

Right-click on the icon labeled "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" and choose the "Remove device" option.

Click "Yes" to confirm your decision to remove the malfunctioning XPS printer.

Press the "Add a printer" button in the top toolbar and choose the "Add a local printer" option.

Select the "Use an existing port" radio button and pick "XPSPort: (Local Port)" from the port list. Click "Next" to continue.

Highlight "Microsoft" from the "Manufacturer" list, then choose "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" from the "Printers" list. Click "Next" to continue.

Select the "Replace the current driver" radio button and click "Next" to reinstall the Microsoft XPS printer on your PC.

(source: How to Troubleshoot the Microsoft XPS Document Printer in Windows 7)

Сергей Депутатов, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello C, *Smile

Yep, you can use it for any printer by substituting the printer name with the one you wanted to remove instead.

Remove-Printer

Brink, Oct 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Microsoft

2. Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 not available as printer option on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 not available as printer option on Windows 10 Pro: Hi,I would like to install the Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 on a PC running Windows 10 Pro. I did this successfully on one PC already as follows:Go to Control Panel Hardware and Sound Devices and PrintersClick "Add a Printer"Click "The printer I want isn't listed"Choose...
  3. Fix Microsoft XPS Document Writer not working

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Microsoft XPS Document Writer not working: [ATTACH]In this article, we will discuss what you should do if you find that the Microsoft XPS Document writer is not working on your Windows 11/10 device. Microsoft XPS Document Writer is a print-to-file driver that is used to create XPS (XML Paper Specification) files on a...
  4. Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options: I'm setting up a new HP PC with Windows 10. After initial install, I went through and uninstalled all the usual nuisance apps & programs and I'm pretty sure I MAY have inadvertently uninstalled XPS in that tedious process. I also made the tactical error of NOT creating a...
  5. Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows XPS Document Writer not showing up in printer options: I'm setting up a new HP PC with Windows 10. After initial install, I went through and uninstalled all the usual nuisance apps & programs and I'm pretty sure I MAY have inadvertently uninstalled XPS in that tedious process. I also made the tactical error of NOT creating a...
  6. How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you do not need the Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer, you can remove it in Windows 11/10 using these methods. Here are some of the ways to remove the Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer and make the list uncluttered. What is Microsoft XPS Document Writer...
  7. Microsoft XPS Document Writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer: Microsoft XPS Document Writer inadvertently deleted this printer. It is needed for Quickbooks to email. How and can I reinstall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-xps-document-writer/4b45010a-a2c7-4b8f-aec0-6107c5642424
  8. Microsoft XPS Document Writer gone again!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer gone again!: After your recent update I am unable to use Microsoft XPS document writer, which I need to run Quickbooks. Same problem occurred last year. Please help again....
  9. Microsoft XPS Document Writer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft XPS Document Writer: I have Microsoft XPS Document Writer and can print to it but I cant read any of the files from my previous computer that were dprinted to it. I have several years of files save to this printe and cant ready any of them since replacing my previous computer....
  10. microsoft xps document writer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft xps document writer: how to get Microsoft xps document writer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-xps-document-writer/96f1d195-bb23-482c-94e1-6c70ca36f3fd

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xp writer missing

2. reinstall microsoft xps document writer Windows 10

3. document writer vs printer

4. nu vot,
  5. reinstall xps document writer windows 10,
  6. windows 10 reinstall xps printer,
  7. windows 10 re-install xps printer,
  8. add xps document printer,
  9. how to add xps document writer,
  10. add xp writer win 10,
  11. add xps document writer windows 10,