Windows 10: Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by GreggShort, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files you've been working on and folders you often use. These are your frequent folders and recent files.

In Windows 10, File Explorer opens to Quick access by default which shows your Frequent folders and Recent files.
    • Frequent folders = Displays up to ten folders that you frequently opened on the system.
    • Recent files = Displays up to twenty files that you most recently opened.
    This tutorial will show you how to add or remove Recent files in Quick access in File Explorer for all users or only your account in Windows 10.

Note When you hide or remove Recent files in Quick access, it will also clear its history.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Hide or Show "Recent Files" in Quick Access for Your Account using File Explorer Options[/option]
    • Option Two: Hide or Show "Recent Files" in Quick Access for Your Account using a REG file
    • Option Three: Add or Remove "Recent Files" in Quick Access for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Quick access in Windows 10

OPTION ONE [/i] Hide or Show "Recent Files" in Quick Access for Your Account using File Explorer Options
    1. Open File Explorer Options.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

3. To Show "Recent files" in Quick access
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Turn on Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar in Settings.

B) In the General tab under Privacy, check the Show recently used files in Quick access box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    4. To Hide "Recent files" in Quick access
    A) In the General tab under Privacy, uncheck the Show recently used files in Quick access box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Hide or Show "Recent Files" in Quick Access for Your Account using a REG file
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Show "Recent files" in Quick access
    A) Turn on Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar in Settings.

B) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Show_Recent_files_in_Quick_access.reg

Download
    3. To Hide "Recent files" in Quick access
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Hide_Recent_files_in_Quick_access.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If the Quick access is currently open, then refresh (F5) it or close and open it to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Add or Remove "Recent Files" in Quick Access for All Users using a REG file

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

Removing recent files using this option will override what users have set in Option One and Option One above.

1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Recent files" to Quick access in 32-bit Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

32-bit_Add_Recent_Files_to_Quick_access.reg

Download
    3. To Add "Recent files" to Quick access in 64-bit Windows 10
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

64-bit_Add_Recent_Files_to_Quick_access.reg

Download
    4. To Remove "Recent files" from Quick access

Remove_Recent_Files_from_Quick_access.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If the Quick access is currently open, then refresh (F5) it or close and open it to apply.

9. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

GreggShort, Feb 21, 2016

2. Increase number of recent folders in quick access

Hi,

If you want a folder to show up in Quick access, right-click it and select
    Pin to Quick access
    as a workaround.

1. Open an Explorer window.

2. Click File in the top left corner.

3. Uncheck ‘Show frequently used folders in Quick access’.

4. Drag and drop the file or folder you want to add into the Quick Access window.

Remove recent files from Quick Access in Windows 10

Removing recent files from Quick Access is a little simpler. To remove resources, you do not have to turn it off.

1. Open an Explorer window if you closed it.

2. Right click on a file or folder and select ‘Remove from Quick Access’.

3. The resource should now disappear from the window.

If you need further insights into this issue, you might as well post this in the Feedback page via the inbuilt Feedback App in Windows 10.

Let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Feb 21, 2016
  3. Shawn Brink, Feb 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10

Thank you Gregg for sharing this. I have added it to the tutorial so that it will help others. *Smile

Brink, Feb 22, 2016
  5. raidZ Win User
    interesting topic here,

any ideas how to just "clean" the recent files from quick access but let the setting enabled ?
    i love the idea to just run a .reg file
    for example - when i open some documents from my usb drive on my parents computer i dont want to confuse them with my stuff

thx

raidZ, Jan 27, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 27, 2017
  7. ncinsguy Win User
    Is it possible to recover items in the quick access list. I removed some but I want to get them back.

ncinsguy, Jan 17, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ncinsguy, *Smile

When you "Remove from Quick access" recent files, the files do not get deleted.

The removed item will eventually automatically be added back to recent file if opened enough times.

Brink, Jan 17, 2018
  9. ncinsguy Win User
    That's the thing I don't know where the file location is so I can reopen it. I had it open but I don't remember the name either and I need it again now.

ncinsguy, Jan 17, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    How long ago did you access it?

Edwin, Jan 17, 2018
  11. Edwin New Member
    You could try navigating to C:\Users\{yourname}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\RecentItems and rummage through there to see if you can find it.

Edwin, Jan 17, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In addition, if you opened the file with a program, some programs have a last opened type history feature. If it does, that may help find it.

Do you know what file type (ex: ".pdf) the file is? If so, you could do a search for it (ex: "*.pdf") to see if a file name may stand out in the search results.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Recent Files from Quick Access in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Recent

2. Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?: I have used Win 10 and Microsoft Explorer, Quick Access for some considerable time but just recently there is a pattern of behaviour where some files that get listed in 'Recent Files' will NOT react to the command "Remove from Quick Access".Why is this and is there a...
  3. Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why do some files in Recent Files resist Remove from Quick Access?: I have used Win 10 and Microsoft Explorer, Quick Access for some considerable time but just recently there is a pattern of behaviour where some files that get listed in 'Recent Files' will NOT react to the command "Remove from Quick Access".Why is this and is there a...
  4. File removal from Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File removal from Quick Access: I permanently deleted a file which was located in 'Downloads'. However, it is still getting shown in 'Quick access'. If I try to remove it, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. How can I remove the file from 'Quick access' which is still getting...
  5. File removal from Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File removal from Quick Access: I permanently deleted a file which was located in 'Downloads'. However, it is still getting shown in 'Quick access'. If I try to remove it, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. How can I remove the file from 'Quick access' which is still getting...
  6. File removal from Quick Access

7. Quick Access & Recent files

Quick Access & Recent files: Hi i want to increase the number of "recent files" shown in the quick access function to more than 20, ideally 50. I don't want workarounds or rely on me pinning things, I just want to see more than 20 recent files. The current limit is a hindrance to my work as 20 files...
  8. Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access

Unable to remove files from "Recent files" in Quick Access: 1. I am unable to remove specific files from "Recent Files" in Quick Access, why? [ATTACH] 2. I deleted these types of files a long time ago and deleted this specific path where these photos were... These are NOT recent files... So why am I not able to remove them from...
  9. Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to...
  10. Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 replaced Favorites from previous Windows with Quick access. The Quick access page is the shortest route to files...