Windows 10: Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Run as different user' Context Menu on Start in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove 'Run as different user' Context Menu on Start in Windows 10

The Run as different user context menu allows a user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with different permissions than the user's current logon provides.

If added, you will need to right click or press and hold on a .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, or .msi file on Start or in All apps, and click/tap on More to see the Run as different user context menu item.

When the Run as different user context menu is used, it will prompt the user to enter the user name and password credentials to use.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Run as different user context menu in Start for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this context menu.

*note If the user you use with "Run as different user" doesn't have the appropriate permissions to access the file, then you will get an access is denied type error message like below.

Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add or Remove "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Add or Remove "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start using Group Policy

EXAMPLE: "Run as different user" context menu on Start and All apps

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add or Remove "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

ShowRunAsDifferentUserInStart DWORD

0 or (delete) = Remove
    1 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Run_as_different_user_on_Start.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Run_as_different_user_on_Start.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. restart the PC to apply.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add or Remove "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start using Group Policy

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option One above.

1. Open the all users, specific users or groups, or all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on Show "Run as different user" command on Start to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (remove) or step 6 (add) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Remove "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Add "Run as different user" Context Menu on Start
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 18, 2016

2. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Removing a prior user from Windows 10

User profile cannot be loaded because all profiles were removed. What we need to do is to boot your computer in safe mode and enable the built-in administrator account to create a new user profile. Follow the steps below to perform these actions:

Step 1: Boot your computer in safe mode with networking.

Check this article on how to start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10. Follow the steps under this section:
    From the sign-in screen.

Step 2: Enable the built-in administrator account.

• While in safe mode with networking, open an elevated command prompt by typing
      command prompt in Cortana search box > right-click
      Command Prompt > select Run as administrator.
    • Type Net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.
    • Click the Start button and click Administrator.

Step 3: Create a new user profile.

Click this link on how to create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Gerard Qui, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. 95Viper Win User
    Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Run as different user on Start in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Run

2. Run as different user missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Run as different user missing: Hello there, I have recently discovered that the "Run as different user" option is missing for file explorer. I just did a bunch of updates. When I hold the Shift key and right click something like CMD or RDP, it shows this option in addition to run as admin. I have found...
  3. How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10: Win version #1909 build 18363.720) I have reviewed the thread from 2016 found at Run as different user in Windows 10 and have followed the instructions to the letter. It is not working and, as of right now, when I go to click the "RUNAS" shortcut nothing happens. I provide...
  4. Running as a different user / Administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running as a different user / Administrator: Hi, I work in a large enterprise and found that many users on the service desk / 2nd line support are having issues when running applications such as CMD, Active Directory, SCCM etc as a different user (signing in with their Admin Account) When they sign in as a...
  5. Add Remove Programs looking different.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Remove Programs looking different.: Hi all. Today I have noticed some details missing when I go into add/remove programs. Under Date Modified and Type for each program it is now blank. Anyone else with the same issue ? and can it be fixed ? Thanks in advance. [img] 93943
  6. Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows How to Add or Remove User Program Groups from Start Menu in Windows The Start Menu will show shortcuts of all programs (apps) listed in All Programs (Windows 7) and All Apps (Windows 10). The Start...
  7. Add or Remove Users from Groups in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Users from Groups in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Users from Groups in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Users from Groups in Windows 10 You can limit the ability of users to perform certain actions by adding or removing the user from being a member of groups. Each group has its own default rights...
  8. Run as different user - Add or Remove Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run as different user - Add or Remove Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Run as different user - Add or Remove Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Run as different user' Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information The Run as different user context menu allows a user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with...
  9. Run as different user in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Run as different user in Windows 10: How to: Run as different user in Windows 10 How to 'Run as different user' in Windows 10 [img] Information Run as different user allows a user to run .bat, .cmd, .exe, .msc, and .msi files with different permissions than the user's current logon provides. Run as...
  10. Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can customize which folders appear in the list. You can add or remove the File Explorer, Settings,...