Windows 10: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Locations for Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Gator5000e, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Locations for Search Index in Windows 10

By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed.

The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in the background. The index will automatically rebuild and update for changes made to the included locations since the last index rebuild to increase search result accuracy. By default, the indexing speed is reduced due to user activity. If the computer is running idle, then the indexing speed will go back to full speed to finish indexing faster.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove locations to be included in the search index in Windows 10.

If you select removable media (ex: USB flash drive) to be included in the index, it will only be included while the removable media is connected. If you disconnect the removable media, it will automatically be included in the index the next time it is reconnected.

The index will not include search results from any drive or partition with the A and B drive letter, even if you add their location to the index. This is because the A and B drive letters are reserved for floppy drives. Since a floppy drive is considered to be a removable device, it will not be indexed. Even if this is a hard drive you assigned with the A or B drive letter, it will still be treated the same.

Here's How:

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Indexing Options icon, and close the Control Panel.

2. Click/tap on the Modify button. (see screenshot below)

*note You can see a list of your currently added locations under Included Locations.

These are the default locations in the screenshot below.

Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Check (add) or uncheck (remove) the locations you want to be indexed, and click/tap on OK when finished. (see screenshots below)

*note Unchecking subfolders will add them to excluded folders for the search indexer.

*note If you are signed in as an administrator, then you could also click/tap on the Show all locations button to see all available locations.

4. If the index doesn't automatically start rebuilding, then you should manually rebuild the index to update it. (see screenshots below)

5. You can now close Indexing Options if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Gator5000e, Jun 7, 2017

2. how to seaches in selected drives win10

To Search only a single location or drive, open it in File Explorer and type into the Search box at top right.

To set your PC for the locations you want included or excluded from Search when you type in the taskbar or Start button Search Box, type Indexing in Start Search, open Indexing Options, click Modify, then add or remove any drives you want or don't want searched.
    It should show all drives that are attached.

Give it a few days to re-index then if it is still missing some, go back and choose Advanced Options, then Rebuild Index to have it re-index all locations.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Cortana not finding documents unless they are in C:\users

I just stumbled upon this so you might have found the answer or reverted to windows 7 by now, but.. I found this solution while trying to solve the same problem:

How to add new Cortana search file locations on Windows 10

basically for me the D drive (which is where my onedrive is located too) was deselected for search indexing (indexing options).

Hopefully this works for you.

LewisJSullivan, Jun 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10

Hello Gator, *Smile

These are for the folders that store the desktop backgrounds for your themes in the Themes folders like below.

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Beauty of\DesktopBackground

You should be able to click on the "Show all locations" button at the bottom, select a "DesktopBackground" folder in the bottom section, and then be able to uncheck it in the top section.

Brink, Jun 7, 2017
  5. Thanks, Brink. When I do that, nothing shows up in the top pane. I've dug around in the file tree in the top pane but couldn't find the directory in the Indexing app where these things are located.

Gator5000e, Jun 8, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. Do you see anything like below?

Brink, Jun 8, 2017
  7. The second pic shows what I see when I click on any of the DesktopBackground folders. I get nothing like what your pictures look like. Nothing else happens. If it's not affecting anything, I am happy to leave it. But all those folders just didn't look right.

Gator5000e, Jun 8, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You might see if rebuilding the index may help since they don't show you a path in the top section when selected in the bottom.

Brink, Jun 8, 2017
  9. i cant change the search options because when in open the control panel im not seeing any icon to change the search settings

james dupre, Oct 1, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    When you open the Control Panel, make sure it's in "Icons" view. The link in step 1 can show you how to if needed. You should then see the "Indexing Options" icon available.

Brink, Oct 1, 2017
  11. PowerDrome, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Search

2. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  3. Windows 10 not searching or indexing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not searching or indexing: No indexing, so I sfc /scannow ,dism etc, rebuild, re-ran windows 20H2,restoro,restore, and still indexing will not come around. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-searching-or-indexing/db14f97d-377c-4769-8105-3edae83ce2b5
  4. Add a NAS location to Windows 10 Index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add a NAS location to Windows 10 Index: I want my network folder to be indexed by Windows. I am using Siemens Solid Edge 2020 with Solid Edge Data Management [SEDM] which needs Windows Indexing to work properly. We work on 2 separate PC's and store our drawingdata on a Synology 218+ NAS. This way we have acces to...
  5. Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexed Locations: Does anybody knows why this "csc://...." thing is in my indexed locations? I cant't get rid of it and everytime i uncheck it it comes again checked. Also when i scroll the mouse over it, it tells me that the location is not available. Help [ATTACH]...
  6. windows 10 search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows 10 search and indexing: Search is not working in File Explorer Windows 10. When I use Control Panel for Indexing Options I have no one included location after very long waiting. Nothing changed here after I use Rebuild in Advanced: no included location again. I did Stop and Restart of Windows Search...
  7. Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 Indexing the content of your PC helps you get faster results when your searching it for files, emails, or other local content....
  8. Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Add NAS locations to search index: Hmm. Am I the only one thinking this would we a nice thing? I seem to be unable to add any UNC/NAS drive location to the Windows Search Index. I read only in previous 32bit versions there was an "Add UNC Path" tab within the index applet but not for 64bit. What gives? Do we...
  9. Change Search Index Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Search Index Location in Windows 10: How to: Change Search Index Location in Windows 10 How to Change Storage Location of Search Index in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and...
  10. Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove File Types for Search Index in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search...