Windows 10: Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Exclusions for Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, May 6, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Exclusions for Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: it might install itself from an email message, when you connect to the Internet, or when you install certain apps using a USB flash drive, CD, DVD, or other removable media. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not only when it's installed.

Windows Defender is included with Windows and helps keep malware from infecting your PC in two ways:
    • Providing real-time protection. Windows Defender notifies you when malware tries to install itself or run on your PC. It also notifies you when apps try to change important settings.
    • Providing anytime scanning options. Windows Defender automatically scans your PC for installed malware on a regular basis, but you can also start a scan whenever you want. Windows Defender automatically removes (or temporarily quarantines) anything that's detected during a scan.
    If you like, you can add exclusions to Windows Defender for files, folders (file locations), file extensions (file types), and processes that you are confident are 100% safe and secure to reduce the scan time of Windows Defender.

For example, a sandbox, ISO files, or virtual machines.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove exclusions to Windows Defender Antivirus for all users in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove exclusions for Windows Defender.

Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note File and folder exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths

File type exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Extensions

Process exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes

Warning Windows Defender won't scan excluded files, so this can make your PC more vulnerable to malware.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add an Exclusion to Windows Defender
    • Option Two: To Remove an Exclusion from Windows Defender

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add an Exclusion to Windows Defender
    1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center app instead, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Virus & threat protection settings link. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Add or remove exclusions link under the Exclusions section. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Add an exclusion plus button, and do step 5 (file), step 6 (folder), step 7 (file type), or step 8 (process) below for what type of exclusion you want to add. (see screenshot below)

5. To Add a File Exclusion to Windows Defender
    *note This option is to add a specific file as an exclusion to no longer be scanned by Windows Defender.
    A) Click/tap on File under Add an exclusion. (see screenshot below step 4)

B) Navigate to and select a file you want to exclude, click/tap on Open, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Add a Folder Exclusion to Windows Defender
    *note This option is to add a folder as an exclusion to no longer have the folder and the files in the folder scanned by Windows Defender.
    A) Click/tap on Folder under Add an exclusion. (see screenshot below step 4)

B) Navigate to and select a folder you want to exclude, click/tap on Select folder, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Add a File Type Exclusion to Windows Defender
    *note This option is to add a file extension as an exclusion to no longer have all files with that file type scanned by Windows Defender.
    A) Click/tap on File type under Add an exclusion. (see screenshot below step 4)

B) Enter a file extension you want to exclude, click/tap on Add, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

8. To Add a Process Exclusion to Windows Defender
    *note This option is to add a process as an exclusion to no longer have any file associated with it scanned by Windows Defender.
    A) Click/tap on Process under Add an exclusion. (see screenshot below step 4)

B) Enter a process name you want to exclude, click/tap on Add, and go to step 9 below. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

10. Repeat step 4 above if you would like to add another exclusion to Windows Defender.

11. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove an Exclusion from Windows Defender
    1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center app instead, and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Virus & threat protection settings link. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Add or remove exclusions link under the Exclusions section. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on an added exclusion that you want to remove, and click/tap on its Remove button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

6. Repeat step 4 above if you would like to remove another exclusion.

7. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

f14tomcat, May 6, 2015
  2. bhringer Win User

Whitelisting certain items

Please refer to one of the following articles:

Add an exclusion to Windows Defender

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender

How to Add or Remove Exclusions for Windows Defender in Windows 10

How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10

How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10

Hope this helps.

~

bhringer, May 6, 2015
  3. Jsssssssss, May 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

@f14tomcat

Good point Dick. I added a note to the tutorial for that. *Smile

Brink, May 6, 2015
  5. biatche Win User
    Would anyone know if path exclusion is recursive? Also is there a way to specify wildcards?

biatche, Oct 10, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Biatche, *Smile

If you exclude a "File location", then WD will exclude all files and subfolders on that location.

I don't believe you can use wildcards, but if you add a "File type" exclusion, then all file types with that extension will be excluded.

Brink, Oct 10, 2015
  7. kokakola Win User
    Hello Brink,

I was wondering if you can help me please.

I have selected certain file types / folders and locations in Windows Defender on Windows 10 that were added to the exclusions lists...

Previously I could go to Windows Defender and see what files, folders or extensions I had excluded but now they have disappeared....

All I see is the add buttons which work as intended when I want to add a folder etc etc....
    But then they are not listed anywhere so that I can remember what I have excluded or not....

Can some one please help me so that they are visible again, is there a setting in the registry that needs to be fixed?

This is what I should see where, below the red arrows I should see the excluded files/folders including their path etc etc [see image below]

but I see nothing..

Yet if i go to the registry as indicated below...

File and file location exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths

File type exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Extensions

Processes exclusions are stored in the registry key below.

*Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes

they are all listed there....?

I have to say that windows defender is excluding folders/files and etc etc, that I have selected during its scans, but I cant see the excluded items in the Windows Defender as per image of my Exclusions section below...

Thanking you in advance for your support and assistance on this issue....

Cheers

kokakola, Oct 10, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Kokakola, *Smile

The only way that I know of to add them back is to delete them in the registry, and manually add the exceptions back in Settings.

I'd recommend to export the Exclusions key first to be able to use it as a reference to help add all of the exceptions back.

Brink, Oct 10, 2015
  9. kokakola Win User
    Hhello BRINK,

I have already done that in the registry and re entered them again but they still refuse to show up in the section under exclusions... is it that the settings in the registry are set wrong?

mine all have value not set? is this the issue...

kokakola, Oct 11, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just to verify, you re-entered them in Settings and not from the registry?

Go ahead and restart the computer, and see if you are able to enter them in Settings and have them show.

Please aslo post a screenshot showing what you see in Settings to see if it may reveal anything.

Brink, Oct 11, 2015
  11. kokakola Win User
    I have done as you advised but still no go...

as you can see from the images attached i see the exclusions listed in the registry but they wont show up on windows defender...

has it anything to do with the fact that the registry values are not set?
    as shown in the images attached...
    thanks in advance...

kokakola, Oct 11, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by the registry values no being set. It's shown as set in your first screenshot.

Just to verify, did you delete the Path key in the registry? Usually, you'll have to change the owner of the key to "Administrators", and "allow" Administrators "Full control" of the key first, then delete it.

If so, then I'm not sure why they are not being shown in Settings when you added them from Settings.

Brink, Oct 11, 2015
  13. kokakola Win User

No I did not delete the "Path" key from the registry I just deleted the contents within the "Path" key...

I'll try deleting the "Path" key now and reset and see what happens.....

**EDIT**
    Fixed... deleting the "Path" key in the registry as you advised and then resetting the PC brings them back...

thank you so much....

cheers

kokakola, Oct 11, 2015
  14. dogpark Win User
    Hi Shawn,
    just upgraded Windows to OS build 10586.3 & was attempting to install MBAM alongside Defender & set up the exclusions. I don't see an option to browse to the process that I would like to exclude as before - in Defender.
    I can enter the fully qualified path name e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe but it seems the option to browse the directories should still be there.
    Am I missing something?

thanks,
    richie

dogpark, Nov 17, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Richie, *Smile

Are you using step 4 in OPTION ONE to "Exclude a file" under "Files and folders"?

Brink, Nov 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Defender

2. Can't remove an exclusion window defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove an exclusion window defender: A file type name 'exe' unable to remove in the exclusion.I clicked the remove button multiple of times but it didn't work.And i think that a virus because when i'm playing game it keep getting the'Blue screen' when i join the game.It's very annoying uncomfortable...
  3. Can't remove an exclusion window defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't remove an exclusion window defender: A file type name 'exe' unable to remove in the exclusion.I clicked the remove button multiple of times but it didn't work.And i think that a virus because when i'm playing game it keep getting the'Blue screen' when i join the game.It's very annoying uncomfortable...
  4. Can't remove Windows Defender Exclusions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove Windows Defender Exclusions: Split from this thread. Hello! I have the same problem, but this malwarebytes feature becomed only with premium: what can i do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-windows-defender-exclusions/8bc938b2-3851-4df3-9b5b-444539c190fa
  5. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  6. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't add an exclusion for windows defender: i'm trying to add an exclusion for a file however it won't show up i even checked registery editor and it is not there at all. What can i do to fix this problem?...
  7. Can't add an exclusion for windows defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows defender- Unable to add exclusions

windows defender- Unable to add exclusions: I'm using windows 10. I find that my antimalware service executable uses 27-30% of my cpu resources in times when I need to use it for other purposes which are important to me. As everyone knows that we can't kill this service in task manager, please someone help me how to...
  9. Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender

Add Program Exclusions To Windows Defender: I make programs to solve needs I have. Many of these programs are TINY as in 50kb or so. On every other machine, double clicking one of these programs spawns a window within a second or less. But I got one machine that has Windows Defender running, and it takes up to a...
  10. "Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender

"Add an exclusion" not selectable in Windows Defender: For many years, I have used a custom "Hosts" file. I have read that Windows Defender will occasionally find that custom file and reinstall original. When I log on as administrator, the "Add an exclusion" line is gray and not a clickable link. Please help. 70897

Users found this page by searching for:

1. registry settings in windows 10 to add exclusion for windows defender

2. windows defender not in add or remove

3. add or remove exclusions

4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes