Windows 10: Add PIN or Change PIN in Sign in Options

Discus and support Add PIN or Change PIN in Sign in Options in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have already set a PIN for my Local Account and my "Sign in Options" in Settings looks like this showing "Add" under PIN: [img] Various sites... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Judesman, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Judesman Win User

Add PIN or Change PIN in Sign in Options

I have already set a PIN for my Local Account and my "Sign in Options" in Settings looks like this showing "Add" under PIN:

Add PIN or Change PIN in Sign in Options [​IMG]

Various sites I have visited indicate that as I have already set a PIN I should have the option to "Change" or "I forgot my PIN". like this:

Can someone explain why there is a difference please?

:)

Judesman, Nov 6, 2016
  2. Janet457 Win User

Sign-on Pin

I recently was not able to sign-in using my pin. An error occurred telling me to restart again. This did not fix the problem. I had to sign in using my microsoft acct password. When signed in, I went to the sign-on options and tried to add a pin, but
    it keeps asking for my pin. I type in the old pin and the screen goes back to the signon options screen with the Add button still there. If it was actually added I should see a Change Pin and Remove Pin options. The Add option does not seem to be working.
    How can I fix this. I like using a pin over my password option. Thank you.

Janet457, Nov 6, 2016
  3. BerkayK Win User
    [FIXED] Windows 10 pin

Hi,

I have always used a pin to sign-in to my Windows 10 device.

Recently, however, while I was cleaning my keyboard I accidentally entered a wrong pin multiple times eventually blocking the pin sign-in option. I continued to sign in with my password. When I logged in I went to settings, deleted my pin and tried adding
    a new pin. Unfortunately nothing happens when I add a new pin. It just gives me the option to add a new pin again in settings instead of "Remove" or "Change".

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Berkay

BerkayK, Nov 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 6, 2016
  5. Judesman Win User
    Hi Brink,

If I click on Add I am invited to verify account password (although I have a PIN). I enter PIN and then I have the option to create a PIN instead of a password (although I am not using a password). I originally signed up for a Microsoft Account but then changed to a Local Account so I didn't have to sign in with the MS password. Having set up a PIN for my Local Account, a few days later I changed the PIN (to make it easier for my family to remember). I have spoken to another Win 10 user and they have the option to "Change" or "I forgot my password" on their Local Account. Thanks for your help.

Judesman, Nov 6, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It is required to have a password to be able to add a PIN.

It seems like since you had a PIN with your MSA, something is stuck after switching to a local account without a password. As a test, add a password to your local account to see if your PIN will work afterwards. If not, then see if you may be able to remove and add a new PIN.

Brink, Nov 6, 2016
  7. Judesman Win User
    Thank you Brink. I used my MSA password to set up the Local Account with a PIN. I didn't have a PIN for my MSA only the original password I used when I created the MSA. If I click "Change Password" it would appear that my password is the same as my PIN. I really don't understand any of this.

So are you saying that I can sign into my Local Account with a password or a PIN?

Judesman, Nov 6, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It's starting to sound like you may have changed the password of your local account by mistake to be the same as your PIN that's now no longer there.

As a test, check/change the password of your local account to what you want, then see if you are able to add a PIN for your local account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Nov 6, 2016
  9. Judesman Win User
    That looks like it. Originally my Local Account password and PIN were the same. I have now entered a new password and set up a PIN. When I log in, the log in box has PIN inside it. My Sign-In option now looks like this:

Presumably, if I removed my PIN, using the option, I would then have to log in using my password. Is that correct please?

Thank you very much for your help. I now have a password for my MSA, a password for my Local Account and a PIN for the Local Account.

Judesman, Nov 6, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That looks correct now.

Currently, you can select to sign in with either your password or PIN. If you remove your PIN, you will only have your password left to sign in with.

Sign in to Windows 10

Brink, Nov 6, 2016
  11. Judesman Win User
    Yes, I now have that option. Thanks so much for your help it is appreciated.

Judesman, Nov 6, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Add PIN or Change PIN in Sign in Options - Similar Threads - Add PIN Change

2. PIN and sign in options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN and sign in options: I am trying to change my PIN on the new installed windows 11. When I go to sign in options and go to PIN it tells me I cant change or set a new PIN and that its only available to Companies. I already have a PIN and that's how I log in into my account but I cant change it....
  3. PIN and sign in options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PIN and sign in options: I am trying to change my PIN on the new installed windows 11. When I go to sign in options and go to PIN it tells me I cant change or set a new PIN and that its only available to Companies. I already have a PIN and that's how I log in into my account but I cant change it....
  4. How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option: Dear Guys,I have a problem in Pin Window Hello, this option is currently unavailable, I saw people got option to remove and change Pin, Please help me to fix this in my PC.Regards and many thanks for your help....
  5. How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option: Dear Guys,I have a problem in Pin Window Hello, this option is currently unavailable, I saw people got option to remove and change Pin, Please help me to fix this in my PC.Regards and many thanks for your help....
  6. How to change Sign In Pin and disable Sign in Pin option

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Sign-in Pin Option

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign-in Pin Option: I've followed all support articles as to how enable, set up and activate pin, and how to take ownership of the Ngc files and still my dell computer does not show PIN sign-in option the Windows log-on. HELP!!!...
  8. No option to change PIN in Settings - Accounts - Sign-in options

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No option to change PIN in Settings - Accounts - Sign-in options: I set a pin to sign in to my computer, but now my whole family knows it and can access my computer at any time. I looked up how to change my pin in settings - accounts - sign-in options, but there is no option to change my PIN. I selected "I forgot my PIN" on sign-in, and...
  9. no longer an option to change pin in "sign-in option"

no longer an option to change pin in "sign-in option": Everything is telling me to go to "sign-in options" to change my pin or delete my pin, but changing or deleting my pin is no longer listed as an option... on this weird "Windows Hello" pin, which is not an option either. [ATTACH]...
  10. PIN sign in option

PIN sign in option: How to remove PIN sign in option on local account sign in. It is not secure as it cannot be configured to work with a third party 2fa device. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-sign-in-option/63ea7aae-38bf-4cd8-be1b-16f133a69619