Windows 10: Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10 How to Add a PIN to your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by DustSailor, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10

How to: Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10

How to Add a PIN to your Account in Windows 10

Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services.

One important difference between a password and a Hello PIN is that the PIN is tied to the specific device on which it was set up. That PIN is useless to anyone without that specific hardware. Someone who steals your password can sign in to your account from anywhere, but if they steal your PIN, they'd have to steal your physical device too!

Even you can't use that PIN anywhere except on that specific device. If you want to sign in on multiple devices, you have to set up Hello on each device.

For more information about PIN, see: Why a PIN is better than a password (Windows 10)

When you sign in to Windows 10 with PIN, you only need to type your PIN number without pressing Enter.

• You must add a password to your account before you can use any other sign-in options like PIN.
    • Before you can use a fingerprint to sign in to Windows, you must set up a PIN.
    • Before you can use a face to sign in to Windows, you must set up a PIN.
    • If your PC is joined to a domain, then you will not be able to sign-in to Windows using a PIN by default unless enabled.
    • The only way to set up your PIN again is to change your PIN.
      [*]Microsoft is working closely with their hardware partners to deliver Windows Hello capable devices that will ship with Windows 10 and are excited to announce that all OEM systems incorporating the Intel® RealSense™ 3D Camera (F200) will support the facial unlock features of Windows Hello, including automatic sign-in to Windows, and support to unlock “Passport” without the need for a PIN.
      [*]When you boot to Fingerprint
      or PIN).
    This tutorial will show you how to add a PIN to your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Setup a PIN for your Account in Settings
    • Option Two: To Setup a PIN for your Account from Sign-in Screen

EXAMPLE: Sign-in to Windows 10 with PIN

Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Setup a PIN for your Account in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the Add button under PIN on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Enter your account's password to verify, and click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

4. Enter at least a minimum 4 digit PIN number you want for your account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note If you like, you can check the Include letters and symbols box for your PIN.

*tip When you set up Windows Hello in Windows 10, you may get an error during the Create a PIN step.

See: Windows Hello errors during PIN creation (Windows 10)

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Setup a PIN for your Account from Sign-in Screen

*note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17083.
    1. While on your sign-in screen, click/tap on the Windows Hello tile under Sign-in options. (see gif below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

DustSailor, Oct 13, 2015

2. UNLOCK WINDOWS 0 PC WITH PIN

Hi,

Microsoft account or Windows login PIN?

Microsoft account does not have a PIN.

For you Windows login PIN, try some of these options:

1. Reset the PIN for your Windows 10 account

2. Remove PIN from your Windows 10 account

3. Add a PIN to your Windows 10 account

4. Change the PIN for your Windows 10 account

keep us updated with the outcome.

Joanna 777, Oct 13, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10

Hey Dusty, *Smile

That's the claim I heard made as well, but I'm not sure how a 4 digit PIN is more secure that using only a strong password, or a strong password with biometrics.

Brink, Oct 13, 2015
  5. zooburner Win User
    As I understand it the PIN only works on that device, in other words if I gave everyone my PIN they would not be able to log into my account unless they had my device to do it with.

I think only in those terms is it safer.

zoo

zooburner, Oct 13, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10

1. Add PIN to your Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add PIN Account

2. Add your Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Add your Microsoft account: I was entering my pin and logging into my PC as one does, and my keyboard worked fine. But then, a "Add your Microsoft account" screen popped up, and I thought that it was because the last time I logged in I scheduled an update for my PC I'm kind of behind on updates. So I...
  3. Require Pin to add account

Require Pin to add account: I have just created a new outlook account and I have just installed outlook. When trying to log-in it asks me for my windows pin. But I haven't set up a windows pin yet. The internet is telling me to go to accounts and settings on my computer but that has my partner's account...
  4. Add Your Microsoft Account

Add Your Microsoft Account: Hello, My Mom is unable to log into her PC. Stuck on Add Your Microsoft Account page . This is not a new PC. She was trying to restart and searched for it on the taskbar. I’m not sure if she reset it or what. But there is absolutely no option to not use a Microsoft account....
  5. Add a Pin to an existing MS Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Add a Pin to an existing MS Account: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop both running W10 Pro build 1909 using my MS account. When I set up the desktop I did so with a PIN. Didn't think to do that when I did the laptop. Is there a way at this late date to assign a PIN to the laptop -- preferably the...
  6. Cannot Add PIN to User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Add PIN to User Account: I upgraded to v1607 and lost my PIN sign-in option. I went to go add my PIN back and the "Add" button did absolutely nothing. I looked on the Microsoft answers page and it said to delete the contents of the NGC folder, so I did that too. That did not solve the problem...
  7. Change PIN for your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change PIN for your Account in Windows 10: How to: Change PIN for your Account in Windows 10 How to Change the PIN for your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps,...
  8. Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10: How to: Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10 How to Remove PIN from your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and...
  9. Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10: How to: Reset PIN for your Account in Windows 10 How to Reset the PIN for your Account in Windows 10 Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and...
  10. Add Picture Password to your Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Picture Password to your Account in Windows 10: How to: Add Picture Password to your Account in Windows 10 How to Add a Picture Password to your Account in Windows 10 [img] Information You can sign in to your PC with a picture password. You choose the picture and the three gestures you use with it to create a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. secure and safer to use the windows 10 1903 pin

2. safer and secure to use on windows 10 1903 pin a password