Windows 10: Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10 The Recycle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Nisko, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10

How to: Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10

How to Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10

The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows places it in the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon changes from empty to full.

If you have multiple hard drives, partitions, or an external hard drive connected to your PC, each location will have its own $Recycle.Bin and Recycle Bin settings. Removable drives, such as USB flash drives and memory cards, will not have a Recycle Bin. Files deleted from removable drives are permanently deleted.

When you delete a file or folder in Windows, the item(s) get placed in the Recycle Bin by default until you empty the Recycle Bin to permanently delete them if you didn't want to restore them.

However, permanently deleting a file or folder doesn't secure delete them.

Secure Delete will delete and overwrite a file or folder to securely erase any data that exists in the unallocated portions of a disk for the deleted file or folder so it gone forever and cannot be recovered.

If you like, you can add Secure Delete to the Recycle Bin context menu that will secure erase all items (files and folders) in the Recycle Bin deleted from the "C:" drive for the current user.

The Secure Delete context menu will perform 3 passes to securely erase only the items in the Recycle Bin deleted from the "C:" drive for the current user, and will restart explorer to refresh the Recycle Bin icon. If you would prefer to have more passes, then please post a reply in this tutorial requesting it, and I'll post an updated .reg file for it. If you would like to have the Recycle Bin of other drive letters included, then please post a reply in this tutorial requesting it, and I'll post an updated .reg file for it.

This tutorial will show you how to add Secure Delete to the Recycle Bin context menu for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning While you must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove the context menu, all users will be able to use the context menu.

*note The first time you use the context menu, SDelete may prompt you to Agree to the license terms before continuing. You will not see the prompt again afterwards.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add "Secure Delete" to Recycle Bin Context Menu
    • Option Two: Remove "Secure Delete" from Recycle Bin Context Menu

EXAMPLE: "Secure Delete" context menu for Recycle Bin

Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add "Secure Delete" to Recycle Bin Context Menu
    1. Download the latest version of SDelete by Mark Russinovich from Microsoft Sysinternals below.
    Download
    2. Save the SDelete.zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the downloaded SDelete.zip file.

4. Open the SDelete.zip file.

5. Open the C:\Windows\System32 folder in a separate File Explorer (Win+E) window.

6. Copy and paste (drag and drop) the sdelete.exe file from the SDelete.zip file into the C:\Windows\System32 folder. (see screenshots below)

7. When prompted, click/tap on Continue to approve. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close the ZIP and File Explorer windows if you like.

9. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Add_Secure_Delete_to_Recycle_Bin_context_menu.reg

Download
    10. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

11. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

12. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

13. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Remove "Secure Delete" from Recycle Bin Context Menu
    *note This is the default setting.
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
    Remove_Secure_Delete_from_Recycle_Bin_context_menu.reg

Download
    2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

4. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Nisko, Dec 7, 2017
  2. Edwin Win User

Add "Secure Delete" to Recycle Bin Context Menu

This is interesting:

If I right select a single item (1), by way of a jump list or within the Recycle Bin itself, I can't secure delete it, but, if I right select an item in a folder, (2), in the Bin, I can!

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User

Yup, that's what it is!

The little blue arrow is a QTTabBar jumplist allowing you to expand a folder's contents anywhere...

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

That may be from this below instead. I'm not sure why it would be on the context menu of anything inside the Recycle Bin though. It shouldn't be.

How are you opening it in your screenshot?

*Arrow Add Secure Delete to Context Menu in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Edwin Win User

@Brink

Only thing missing is the sound! *Wink

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Edwin Win User

Perfect Shawn! Thank You! *Smile

Also works for fully functional Recycle Bin on the Taskbar! *Party

Pin Recycle Bin to Taskbar in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Edwin, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Add Secure Delete to Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Secure Delete

2. Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change "Empty Recycle Bin" icon and text in context menu: I am looking to change the text possibly the icon displayed in the context menu when right clicking on the recycle bin. I have seem plenty of people show how to remove or add it from the context menu, but how would one alter it?...
  3. How to add Secure Delete to the context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to add Secure Delete to the context menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]While using our systems in day to day life, we end up creating and deleting files. Since adding or creating new files and deleting is […] This article How to add Secure Delete to the context menu in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  4. How to remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you do not want to allow other users of your PC access to the Recycle Bin Properties panel, then this post will help you […] This article How to remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    No icons in context menu - Recycle bin - file explorer: Can anyone help - this is driving me nuts and I cannot find answer anywhere ! I used to have four icons (shown in photo) when I opened my recycle bin in File Explorer. Suddenly they all disappeared. How do I get them to reappear ?? I am am using Windows 10 Home edition. Any...
  6. Recycle Bin Context Menu Glitch

in Windows 10 Support
    Recycle Bin Context Menu Glitch: Hello, so this happens on rare occasions, from time to time. It really doesn't bother me, yet it just looks strange. When I right click on the Recycle Bin, an extra context menu entry shows up: Paste Nothing happens when I click on Paste. It's weird. .... Okay I just...
  7. Add Secure Delete to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Secure Delete to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Secure Delete to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Secure Delete to Context Menu in Windows 10 When you delete a file or folder in Windows, the item(s) get placed in the Recycle Bin by default until you empty the Recycle Bin to permanently delete them if...
  8. Remove Empty Recycle Bin from Context Menu of Recycle Bin in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Empty Recycle Bin from Context Menu of Recycle Bin in Windows: How to: Remove Empty Recycle Bin from Context Menu of Recycle Bin in Windows Add or Remove Empty Recycle Bin Context Menu for Recycle Bin in Windows The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from a hard disk,...
  9. Add or Remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows How to Add or Remove Properties from Recycle Bin Context Menu in Windows The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from your hard...
  10. Add Empty Recycle Bin to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Empty Recycle Bin to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Empty Recycle Bin to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Empty Recycle Bin to Context Menu in Windows 10 The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from a hard disk, Windows places it in the...