Windows 10: Add Shared Printer in Windows 10

Discus and support Add Shared Printer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Shared Printer in Windows 10 How to Add a Shared Printer in Windows 10 Network printers are able to connect directly to your network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 25, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add Shared Printer in Windows 10

How to: Add Shared Printer in Windows 10

How to Add a Shared Printer in Windows 10

Network printers are able to connect directly to your network using Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and are available to anyone on the same network by default.

If you have a printer connected to and setup on your computer instead, then you will need to share the printer before it will be available to anyone on the same network.

Network printer sharing allows another computer on your network to print to the printer connected to your computer on the same network.

The HomeGroup service will no longer be available starting with Windows 10 build 17063. The user profile used for sharing and the file/folder/printer shares will continue to work.

This tutorial will show you how to add a shared printer without using HomeGroup in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to add a shared printer to your PC.

Requirements to add a shared printer:
    • You must be on the same network as the computer the shared printer is connected to.
    • The shared printer must be powered on.
    • File and printer sharing must be turned on for both computers.
    • You will need to know either the shared printer is connected to.
    • You will need to know the share name of the shared printer.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Add Shared Printer in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Printers & scanners on the left side, and click/tap on Add a printer or scanner on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Add Shared Printer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the The printer that I want isn't listed link on the right side when available. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (dot) the Select a shared printer by name option, type in network path of the shared printer, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

*note You can use the shared printer is connected to.

For example:

\\Computer name\Share name of shared printer

OR

\\IP Address\Share name of shared printer

5. Your PC will now try to locate the shared printer, then download and install the driver from the computer the shared printer is connected to. (see screenshots below)

*note If drivers for your 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 is not available from the computer the shared printer is connected to, then you will need to manually find and install the driver for the printer instead.

6. Click/tap on Next if the shared printer has been successfully added. (see screenshot below)

7. If you like, you can Print a test page to check if the shared printer is working properly. Click/tap on Finish when done. (see screenshot below)

8. The shared printer will now be available on your PC. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add Shared Printer in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Devices and Printers icon.

2. Click/tap on Add a printer on the toolbar. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the The printer that I want isn't listed link at the bottom when available. (see screenshot below)

4. Select (dot) the Select a shared printer by name option, type in network path of the shared printer, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshots below)

*note You can use the shared printer is connected to.

For example:

\\Computer name\Share name of shared printer

OR

\\IP Address\Share name of shared printer

5. Your PC will now try to locate the shared printer, and then download and install the driver from the computer the shared printer is connected to. (see screenshots below)

*note If drivers for your 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 is not available from the computer the shared printer is connected to, then you will need to manually find and install the driver for the printer instead.

6. Click/tap on Next if the shared printer has been successfully added. (see screenshot below)

7. If you like, you can Print a test page to check if the shared printer is working properly. Click/tap on Finish when done. (see screenshot below)

8. The shared printer will now be available on your PC. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now close Devices and Printers if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Add Shared Printer in PowerShell

*note To see more usage options for the Add-Printer command, see: Add-Printer | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Use computer name to add shared printer)
    *Arrow Add-Printer -ConnectionName "Computer Name\Share Name"

OR

(Use IP Address to add shared printer)
    *Arrow Add-Printer -ConnectionName "IP Address\Share Name"

*note Substitute Computer Name in the command above with the actual shared printer is connected to.

Substitute IP Address in the command above with the actual shared printer is connected to.

Substitute Share Name in the command above with the actual share name (ex: "HP LaserJet Pro Shared") of the shared printer you want to add.

For example:

(Use computer name to add shared printer)
    Add-Printer -ConnectionName "Brink-Desktop\HP LaserJet Pro Shared"

OR

(Use IP Address to add shared printer)
    Add-Printer -ConnectionName "192.168.1.124\HP LaserJet Pro Shared"

3. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 25, 2017
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Can't share printer—getting error message

Step 1: Go to store.
    Step 2: Buy a less shitty printer.
    Step 3: Pick up some beer while you are there.
    Step 4: Enjoy both your new printer and your beer.

In all seriousness, I have had more issues with Lexmark printers and their shitty drivers then any other manufacturer, HP is a close second though.

However, if you don't want to get a new printer*Laugh :laugh:, and I can understand that, when my Lexmark was giving me the same troubles in Win7(and Vista) I had to make sure the Windows firewall was ON and the firewall service was enabled and running. After I shared it I could re-disable the firewall and firewall services.

newtekie1, Oct 26, 2019
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Can't share printer—getting error message

Yeah, I have windows firewall disabled, and I don't use any other firewall... mostly to prevent stupid issues like this.

None taken... and yeah, I do.

4. Arul_D Win User

Printer Sharing

Hi Bransby,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps

Computer you are sharing from

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Find your printer

3. Right click on the printer

4. Select “Printer properties"

5. Click on the sharing tab

6. Check "sharing this printer"

7. Give the printer a Name

8. Click apply

Computer you are trying to share to:

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Check for printer the devices and printers.

3. if it is not there click "add printer"

4. If the printer does not show up click “The printer that i wanted wasn't list"

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Karen Her Win User
    turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Printer sharing Windows 10 and Windows XP

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check the user manual of the printer to know more about sharing. You can also refer to the steps given in the link below to know more about sharing. The article given below is for Windows 8.1 but the steps are same for Windows 10.

Share a printer

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Add Shared Printer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Shared Printer

2. add sharing printer by network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    add sharing printer by network: server printer windows 10 client windows 11 oeration could not be completed error 0x00000709please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-sharing-printer-by-network/df62185a-9c78-45b4-b578-d4e127b4aaaf
  3. add sharing printer by network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add sharing printer by network: server printer windows 10 client windows 11 oeration could not be completed error 0x00000709please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-sharing-printer-by-network/df62185a-9c78-45b4-b578-d4e127b4aaaf
  4. printer not add in sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    printer not add in sharing: hello windows 11 up to date but printer not add in sharing windows 11 version 22H2os build 22621.819error 0x00000709 and 0x00000040 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-not-add-in-sharing/9b2b1c2a-9d52-4aa5-9129-c30ea1b5c506
  5. printer not add in sharing

printer not add in sharing: hello windows 11 up to date but printer not add in sharing windows 11 version 22H2os build 22621.819error 0x00000709 and 0x00000040 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-not-add-in-sharing/9b2b1c2a-9d52-4aa5-9129-c30ea1b5c506
  6. cant add shared printer a policy is in affect....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cant add shared printer a policy is in affect....: Hiwe a have a printer in our company and i want to add it to my laptop but this ridiculous policy doesn't let me to add it."A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator."i tried this...
  7. Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer: Hi,I have just installed windows 11 after some intrepidation i am delighted with windows 11. So far all is working perfectly. Except one issue. we have a shared network printer connected to another PC. when i go to "Add a device" selecting add manually add a network...
  8. Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer

Windows 11 Add Printer not working for shared network printer: Hi,I have just installed windows 11 after some intrepidation i am delighted with windows 11. So far all is working perfectly. Except one issue. we have a shared network printer connected to another PC. when i go to "Add a device" selecting add manually add a network...
  9. Can't add Shared Printer Without Credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't add Shared Printer Without Credentials: I have been printing from one computer to a printer connected to another computer on my small office network for Years. A few weeks a go I started having issues with not being able to open the the printer properties to change paper size and so forth. When I try to open the...
  10. Cannot add printer shared by Windows 10 to Windows XP.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot add printer shared by Windows 10 to Windows XP.: Hi. I cannot add a printer that is connected to a PC with Windows 10 installed. Client OS is Windows XP. When I try to open "\\WIN10COMP" and doubleclick on printer name, I get: "Operation could not be completed. Access is denied.". [img] [img] When I try to...