Windows 10: Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive?

Discus and support Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. My MOBO died in the small computer I use to control my Ham Radio Gear. I went out and got a cheap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve2Q, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Steve2Q Win User

Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive?

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. My MOBO died in the small computer I use to control my Ham Radio Gear. I went out and got a cheap replacement (HP Pavilion 570-p017c) which came with Win10 Home and a 1 TB HDD formatted in GPT (only 2 SATA ports..other is for the DVD writer).. Just for fun, I took the old HD (formatted as MBR with Win10 Pro) and replaced the new drive, (I had to change to Legacy to get it to boot), and it worked just fine. I then decided to change the old drive to GPT and again, it was painless and it boots fine under the EUFI settings. Then I assumed (incorrectly?) that I can use the new drive in a USB docking station as a secondary boot drive. I have been unable to make this work under every configuration of the Boot Order and Secure Boot menus I can think of. So far, I can only boot successfully with the old drive and use the new one as a second storage drive. I have included the following screen shot of Disk Manager where I see that the partitioning is different on the drives. Disk 0 is the repartioned old drive, while Disk 2 is the unchanged original new drive. Can this be the problem? Thanks for any help.

Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive? [​IMG]

Steve

:)

Steve2Q, Apr 2, 2018
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 2, 2018
  3. slance310 Win User
    UEFI: USB OR JUST USB?

Hi,

The difference is that you need the UEFI SanDisk to boot and install into a UEFI Bios enabled machine...

You would select the regular SanDisk for Legacy Bios...

For instance... now you are installing Windows and would most likely be using UEFI Bios if this is a newer machine... You would select the UEFI SanDisk...

If for instance you were trying to boot a USB flash drive with some type of bootable utility, you may want to select the regular SanDisk...

BTW... Your HDD will be Initialized differently when installing as UEFI or Legacy, but both format as NTFS...

UEFI installations require the HDD to be initialized as a GPT drive, and Legacy installations require a MBR drive...

slance310, Apr 2, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

As far as I am aware you can't boot from USB only win10 setup can be booted from USB win7 was the same by default it was set not to boot from USB

Samuria, Apr 2, 2018
  5. Correct. Windows will not boot from a USB drive to run. Like you said, setup and recovery are the only options with USB. I read this in Macrium imaging section but already knew it from years back.

Access Denied, Apr 2, 2018
  6. Steve2Q Win User
    Samuria and Access Denied: Thank you both for replying. Saves me spending more time trying to do something that apparently cant be done...*Sad

Steve

Steve2Q, Apr 3, 2018
  7. AndreTen Win User
    And where do linux live, Macrium boot, Kyhi's rescue etc fit?

And one more thing for the OP: ditch that DVD writer, and put hard disk on SATA...

AndreTen, Apr 3, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

This is 100% incorrect. Of course you can boot from a usb drive, even a flash drive. It is called Windows To Go.

You can use UEFI Boot Manager, Windows To Go Creator, Free Data Recovery, Windows Deployment Tool to create a bootable version of windows on a usb flash drive or hdd.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  9. cereberus Win User
    Of course it can be done very easily.
    Use wintousb from Web Server's Default Page

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  10. cereberus Win User
    Macrium Boot and Kyhi's Rescue drives are winpe environments designed to boot from US.

As I say in other replies, you can easily boot FULL Windows from a usb drive using wintousb from UEFI Boot Manager, Windows To Go Creator, Free Data Recovery, Windows Deployment Tool (Rufus can do it as well afaik).

Since 1703, you can even boot in uefi mode on a removable flash drive as well as Windows now supports multiple partitions on removeable flash drives.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2018
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Was just going to add info about Windows to go *Smile... but you've already said it all

Makeuseof have a nice tutorial

i would still put that drive on SATA, instead of DVD

AndreTen, Apr 3, 2018
  12. athman8 Win User
    I can't seem to narrow down what I need to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on my laptop. Brief history:-Bought HP G7-2235dx for my wife.-She hated windows 8-I formatted the hard drive, set Bios to Legacy mode, install fresh Windows 7-I upgraded it to windows 10 but can't use Uefi nowSo at this point I want to install a fresh copy of windows 10 in Uefi mode. The PC will not recognize the hard drive without Legacy mode enable. It also will not recognize the disk drive I am guessing because I have set it to UEFI mode and arranged boot priority and it does not find it.I can turn on Legacy mode but I am guessing that if I install windows 10 again while in Legacy mode I will be right back where I started.How do I allow myself to turn on UEFI, and have the HDD and the internal disk drive visable at this point?Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

athman8, Apr 5, 2018
  13. Kyhi Win User

That is the correct response here...

Boot your main OS
    Plug in your USB OS and determine the drive letter (X)
    then use command prompt (admin) and type
    Code: bcdboot X:\Windows[/quote] X being the currently assigned drive letter
    You will now be able to select the USB OS along with the main OS when the PC boots

Thema:

1. Add USB UEFI HDD as second bootable drive? - Similar Threads - Add USB UEFI

2. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  3. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR bootable usb in UEFI!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,A moment ago I changed from Legacy mode to UEFI mode so I've Windows 10 bootable MBR USB, will it work on UEFI or need to convert USB to GPT?...
  4. MBR bootable usb in UEFI!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI: Hi there there's definitely a problem on some older computers with UEFI boot if the iso file is > than 4.5 GB. Up to that the file system is FAT32 and computers will boot OK. If greater than that then NTFS appears to be forced and some computers won't boot . I think the...
  6. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  7. Bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB drive: Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile Just a couple of questions.... 1. I want...
  8. Create bootable UEFI Defrag Flash Drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Create bootable UEFI Defrag Flash Drive?: Here is the issue I am currently at: I have a Surface Pro 4 that I want to set up a Dual Boot on. I normally wouldn't have too much of an issue resolving this on my own, but due to the Surface Pro 4 not supporting Legacy flash drives, my standard way (Booting into a MBR...
  9. Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I add folders to a bootable USB drive: Thank you for the clarification.
  10. How do I add a second winpe boot entry to a UEFI usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add a second winpe boot entry to a UEFI usb drive: As you may well know, you can now access multiple partitions on a standard removeable flash drive with version 1703. So I decided to try and create a UEFI based usb flash drive with multiple winpe partitions. I successfully managed to create an EFI partition and a Winpe...