Windows 10: Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD

Discus and support Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Cloud106 Win User

Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD

Hey,

So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound 10 seconds from turning the machine on.

Now heres my issue. For some reason if i turn my PC on and do nothing it will show the message no operating system found press ctrl, alt + del to restart. This is because its still looking to my original 2TB Drive to boot up. So basically I have to tap F something everytime i turn my machine on and select the SSD from the list.

Here is where things get weird. I have gone into the bios and have the choice of what the machine boots up with, so again i can select my SSD. The problem is the section where I can set the boot order default is only showing my 2TB Hard drive and the Blu-Ray drive, the SSD doesnt appear in that list. So it appears in one time boot options but not in the boot priority list so I cant set it as the default Drive.

Can anyone think as to why this could be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016
  2. Jivames Win User

How do I set my new SSD as the only Boot/System drive?

I recently did the free upgrade and installed Windows 10 to a new SSD.

I then erroneously removed the old HDD which had Windows 7 on it.

I received an "unable to boot windows" error message upon start up.

So put the old HDD back in, hit F8, and was able to boot from the old HDD as normal.

I would like to remove this old HDD and have Windows only boot from the SSD, how would I do that?

Also this old drive is an IDE drive from the early 2000's and I don't want to have it in my system anymore.

Edit: I'm still getting the Windows cannot boot message each time I boot up and have to keep hitting F8 now to boot up. - Nevermind, fixed that; forgot to set the boot order back to the old drive in the Bios. Still want to get rid of this old drive, though
    and only boot from the SSD.

Jivames, Feb 23, 2016
  3. Automatic System Repair.

Hello,

I am trying to install the Samsung 960Evo SSD on my laptop for that i followed following steps:

1. Mount SSd.

2. Clone OS from hdd hdd to ssd using samsung migration software.

3.At this point i have os on both disks.

4. Now i unplugged hdd from laptop motherboard.

5. Then i boot the laptop. So it automatically booted from ssd.

6.now i plugged again in hdd and then try to boot it but it booted from hdd itself automatically.

7. After that i chose booting option by ssd and then i format my hdd.

8. But this time pc didnt boot from ssd but trying to boot from hdd. But that disk is empty.

So it displayed this everytime i try to boot it displayes"Automatic System Repair".

Ive tried some Youtube videos tricks like entering commands in command prompt. The aim was to make ssd a bootable drive and but the command prompt shows some files are missing to ssd a bootable drive.

Please help.

Tell me what should i do.

ManishSaini2, Feb 23, 2016
Thema:

Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD

1. Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD - Similar Threads - Added SSD still

2. switching OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching OS from HDD to SSD: I dont care about any of the data on the drives, I just want to know the fastest way to switch my windows 10 from my 1tb HDD to my 240 gb SSD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-os-from-hdd-to-ssd/b1ae418e-cf78-4019-9797-810bc531bfd6
  3. Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?: HDD has only one partition, in which is the windows 10 also. So how can I do it? Should I (if it's possible) split the HDD to allocate for Windows and clone only that particular partition? How to do that if it's possible? I also want to keep anything else on HDD, I don't want...
  4. Adding a SSD to old PC

Adding a SSD to old PC: submitted by /u/Lefty_Wrighty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9vccp/adding_a_ssd_to_old_pc/
  5. Transfering OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfering OS from HDD to SSD: I just bought SSD recently and want to make it as my OS, but the problem is my license is OEM.I read out there that cloning your OS from HDD to SSD using a partition wizard or something is easy and can transfer the license as well. In my case i want a clean installation on my...
  6. OS from HDD to SSD

OS from HDD to SSD: I’m trying to migrate my operating system from the HDD to SSD however when I choose, which one I want it to go to( the ssd) it says cannot use source disk. This doesn’t make any sense because windows folder is clearly on the HDD and I use the HDD as a boot drive so I can not...
  7. Transfer OS From HDD to SSD

Transfer OS From HDD to SSD: I have a HP laptop with original Windows 10 Home Edition. My present Hard Drive is very slow HDD. Now I want to use a new SSD and want to reinstall this original OS to my new SSD. But I have lost my Product Key. What is the process. Thanks....
  8. Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd: Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if it can be avoided....
  9. Removing windows os from SSD and boot from hdd

Removing windows os from SSD and boot from hdd: I have cloned my ssd to hdd using macrium and used easybcd for dual booting.but now i only want to boot from hdd and remove windows os from ssd.what should i do?...
  10. Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD

Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD: Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound...