Windows 10: Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Discus and support Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 some months ago. Original profile did not require password to log in, and was not associated with a Google email... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MissingUser, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 some months ago. Original profile did not require password to log in, and was not associated with a Google email or Microsoft account that I know of.

I added a user a couple of days ago (added a personal account of mine with my own password from my laptop) because software problem said try another user, and this laptop computer didn't have any other users. So I added one.

That was a mistake. After I "added a user" I could ONLY log on the computer with the NEW user. The old one, the profile, all the settings, the playlists, everything was gone. Like it never existed. There was and is no option to log on as the original. The computer became an extension of my laptop, with zero other option.

I had to add a third user and give it admin capabilities just to remove my laptop profile (which I didn't really want on this computer, I was just adding a user to "try another user" with a software problem). But all my original settings seem gone.

I can see additional users in Windows Media Player for instance, but it says I need permission to access those. Since it is impossible to log on as any other user except this latest (and third) user. I can't give myself permission to access those old playlists.

Adding a user should come with a warning.

If anyone has any ideas where I can recover the old settings, I'd be grateful. The threads I've seen around the web and here have directed to Windows 7 workarounds which do not work for my machine.

:)

MissingUser, Jul 16, 2016
  2. John Sarc Win User

Adding A User Has Wiped The Original User?

Hi,

It seems that the process of adding a family member is being done differently. We would like to have the exact error message that you're getting whenever you try to log in. This will definitely help us in determining the root cause of the issue.

In the meantime, to add someone to your family, click on this link
    for the instructions.

Regards.

John Sarc, Jul 16, 2016
  3. MrFox_923 Win User
    Adding A User Has Wiped The Original User?

My wife used the add family function to add me to her laptop but instead of ADDING it appears to have made me the user and removed her entirely as a user. Any idea how to remedy this? Also it's not letting me log in now, saying my password is incorrect,
    but I can log in to my PC.

Thank you for any help.

MrFox_923, Jul 16, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Hello and welcome to the TenForums *Smile

It might be worth finding out all the users that are associated with your PC. To do this open a command prompt (right click on the Start button) and then type in the following command wmic useraccount list full

This will display all users on your system (including hidden ones) and if you paste the results here we can determine which accounts are still present. If you want to see more details of this process look in the tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jul 17, 2016
Thema:

Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

1. Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared - Similar Threads - Added User original

2. User Profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profiles: Hello,I wanted to change the name of one of the existing folders under “Users”I followed the instructions found online and changed the profile image path or something under regedit. I then restarted my laptop and it took me to a completely new profile named Temp. I went back...
  3. Adding user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding user: Hey, i cant figure out how to add a user while not being signed in, there is an acount but its not mine and dont have the password for it. Is there a way to add a user in lockscreen?...
  4. Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 user profile folder in C:\users disappeared: Hi, I tried to sign in to my local admin account and Windows loaded a temporary user instead of my user. I then tried to locate my user folder in C:\users but it's not showing there even with the hidden files view enabled. I can see in the registry my profile path and...
  5. user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    user profile: I had a new hard drive in my computer. When the technician reloaded MS, Windows 10, etc., he kept all the right account information, including my profile picture, but despite the account being in my name, he put my husband's name under my picture on that opening screen. I...
  6. User Profile Not Displayed In Settings

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User Profile Not Displayed In Settings: I have a fresh install of Win10Pro and I'm having trouble with profiles. I can't turn off the log in step on startup (I've been through the process of turning it off, as seen in the image), and sometimes it shows a second profile with the same name (but without a profile...
  7. Connect back to original user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect back to original user profile: I changed the name on my user/profile folder, or thought so - but instead I created a new user profile and now I can no longer sign in with my old user profile. I am running Windows 10 Pro. The new user profile is associated with my MS email account and I don't how to revert...
  8. Copy user profile and settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy user profile and settings: Ok everyone here is my problem. The original 1809 update caused my Xbox live to stop working on this profile only. I can get it working again if I create a new user profile but all my files and settings, etc. are under my old profile (windows/users/Mike). I would like to...
  9. user profile status set to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    user profile status set to backup: how to I repair my user account. every time I log on windows preps it as if it is new account,. lost power when shut down after installing software , wouldn't boot afterwards, used windows 10 repair disk and now boots but cant sign on , I had a standard account just in case...
  10. User profile picture disappeared after rollback

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User profile picture disappeared after rollback: Hello! So I updated to Creators Update, but I had some annoying bugs with it, so I rolled back to Anniversary Update. Right after I did that, my profile pic (and my dad's) were gone (look at screenshots). How can I fix this? It's bugging me real bad. [img] [img]...