Windows 10: Adding a display to a laptop

Discus and support Adding a display to a laptop in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Greetings, I have a new Asus Zenbook Flip. Core M, 512SSD, 8Gbs of RAM. I have an aging iMac and am considering trying a switch completely to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by The Pool Man, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Adding a display to a laptop

Greetings,

I have a new Asus Zenbook Flip. Core M, 512SSD, 8Gbs of RAM. I have an aging iMac and am considering trying a switch completely to Windows. The way I could do this is docking the laptop (where my iMac lives) and hooking up an external 1080p monitor. With a keyboard and mouse in tow. Probably all connected to a hub and then connected to the Zenbook via USB-C.

I've got my head around that part. (I think -- lol.) The part that's still a head scratcher is how the Zenbook will react to being connected to a monitor. I've never done this before and so --

1. -- will my laptop get hot driving the monitor? Or does the monitor run itself and the laptop only gets hot as normal?
    2. -- is it expected that the external monitor will flicker a lot? Or be as stable as a 'native' monitor?
    3. -- are the color dynamics of the monitor limited to the color dynamics of Zenbook? (In English: if the Zenbook has crappy colors will the 'fancy' monitor recreate crappy colors?)
    4. -- is it unwise to get a monitor with higher resolution than the Zenbook? Or will the PC love it and use it?
    5. -- I presume there's a mode where if connected I can make the Zenbook screen go dark while the monitor stays lit?
    6. -- do you think I'd get better support for this idea if I bought an Asus monitor to go with Asus Zenbook?

These type of questions folks. What do you think?

:)

The Pool Man, Nov 29, 2016

2. Adding a Tablet as a Wireless Display to a PC with Three Existing Standard Monitors.

So currently I am having a problem using the wireless display feature, for something that I assume was not meant to happen and I'm looking for any possible help to remedy this situation.

My current setup is with a PC connected to three monitors, running with Windows 10. My PC specs are as follows --> CPU: Intel i7-4790K ; GPU: GTX 1080 ; RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix. I am an animator and use adobe on a regular basis. What I wanted to happen,
    is that I have a windows-enabled tablet (from CHUWI) that acts as its own desktop (essentially the same way a Surface does) and I wanted to connect the tablet to the PC via wireless display. (I have tried third party remote access apps, but they have far too
    much latency.) What I want to have happen is for this tablet to mirror the central display, while the outer two remain extended. This way, I can use it as a graphic design tablet with a screen to view what I am working on (such as drawing in Adobe Animate
    CC, Photoshop, Etc.).

However, when I connect the display, it functions as an extended display just fine, but that not what I want, because to use it for small amounts of work, i'd have to drag the Adobe Animate CC window over to the tablet, just to draw a little bit and then
    bring it back (a HUGE waste of time). When I go into displays settings to mirror the middle monitor with the tablet, the wireless display application on the tablet closes and then my main PC's application freeze and I can only be shut down with a hard-reboot.
    (This is a bug that hasn't been fixed yet.)

So I have a few questions to ask...

1. How do you properly connect a tablet PC to act as a secondary monitor to a PC that already has 3 standard monitors

2. How do you enable touch screen with multiple displays

3. How do you get a touchscreen monitor to mirror a standard monitor being able to use mouse/keyboard functions on the standard monitor and touch setting on the tablet.

Thank you for any advice you may have!

TaylorSteinfeldt, Nov 29, 2016
  3. srfreeman Win User
    Adding a Tablet as a Wireless Display to a PC with Three Existing Standard Monitors.

You have already found how to connect the tablet "...However, when I connect the display, it functions as an extended display just fine..." Using only the display properties of the tablet is not what you will want, to meet your stated goals.

Simply make the working files/images/documents available by network devices (like your tablet) and work on those files using the power of and software installed on the network devices (like your tablet.)

Virtual KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) software is what you will want to answer #3. Simply type 'KVM Software' into your favorite search engine.

srfreeman, Nov 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Adding a display to a laptop

1. It's possible the laptop will get a little bit warmer if you are doing heavier graphics because the GPU (graphics processing unit) will be doing more to process the graphics. If you leave your computer idle, it will run cooler than if your computer is crunching away at calculating Pi to 10,000 decimal places because during calculations the CPU is doing something. It's the same with graphics and the GPU - the GPU will produce heat when it is actually processing graphics and that is true whether it is the built in LCD display or an external monitor. But you might do more graphical intense processing with an external monitor because you have a better resolution to view.

2. Modern LCD monitors will not flicker. Hook up an old CRT type monitor and you will get the CRT tube flicker.

3. The quality of the monitor will affect the color quality, but the quality of the color will be the best the weakest link in the chain can provide and the weakest link will probably be the relatively weak GPU built into the Zenbook.

4. It is wise to get the highest resolution monitor that you think you will ever upgrade the PC graphics card to, which will be much greater than the zenbook. I would not get anything less than full 1080P Hi-Definition.

5. Probably. Windows 10 will support it if the graphics processor in the Zenbook will.

6. Nope.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2016
  5. You're an officer and a gentleperson, NavyLCDR. Big thanks

The Pool Man, Nov 29, 2016
  6. If you are going to use a Docking station to drive the monitor etc from just the one USB port on the PC, said docking station will have its own GPU in it. That GPU will dictate the max resolution you can use for the monitor. Assuming your going to us an HDMI etc port on the docking station. Doing it that way means the GPU in the laptop is only driving the built in display and it won't get any hooter than it normally does.
    If you use a USB connected monitor, it has its own GPU in its case. Same deal here, the GPU in the laptop is only driving the built in display and it won't get any hooter than it normally does.
    The only time your laptops GPU is used to drive a second monitor is if that monitor is plugged directly into the PC and uses the laptops HDMI, DVI, etc monitor connector.
    Once its connected and identified. you just press the Windows logo key *Start and the P key to select which mode you want, Extend will let you use both monitors and run different programs on each one.

On my laptop I run a USB 3 connected external portable monitor. Power and data all go through the USB 3 port on my laptop. That monitor has its own internal GPU. I usually leave it unplugged if I need to run on battery as it will drain the battery faster if connected. I went this route because this display is portable and fits in my laptop carry bag. It's only a 15 inch display. My laptop has a 17 inch screen. I don't use this laptop as a desktop replacement.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Adding a display to a laptop

1. Adding a display to a laptop - Similar Threads - Adding display laptop

2. Laptop on but no display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop on but no display: Hello I tried turning on my laptop but there is no display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-on-but-no-display/aeb5d4bd-5253-4ef5-bcd0-5d2369beaf27
  3. Laptop on but no display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop on but no display: Hello I tried turning on my laptop but there is no display https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-on-but-no-display/aeb5d4bd-5253-4ef5-bcd0-5d2369beaf27
  4. Laptop display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop display: Using a Dell Inspiron laptop and running windows 10. Every now and again my display goes off leaving me with a blank screen but the computer remains running. There is no warning and it occurs completely at random. The only way I can get out of it is to turn off the computer...
  5. Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Added a monitor, display resolution changes when laptop lid closed.: I just bought a new monitor (LG 27"), and at the moment I have the screens duplicated. Both are showing resolution of 3840 x 2160, and life is wonderful. Occasionally I'd like to close the laptop lid, OR at least go to screen 2 only (neck issues - trying to train...
  6. adding laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    adding laptop: how do I find the network info to add to my laptop to connect to our wifi https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-laptop/ab996f32-fbbc-44e9-a766-5983edca3bed
  7. Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss: I tried to add a monitor (Benq GL2460) to my Lenovo Yoga 310 (Win10) but when I connect it (HDMI cable), I lose the fill screen display and can't access anything (i.e when I try to open an application or service it won't display on my laptop screen or added monitor). When I...
  8. Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a monitor to my laptop causes display loss: I tried to add a monitor (Benq GL2460) to my Lenovo Yoga 310 (Win10) but when I connect it (HDMI cable), I lose the fill screen display and can't access anything (i.e when I try to open an application or service it won't display on my laptop screen or added monitor). When I...
  9. Adding second display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding second display: I am trying to connect a second monitor to my Inspiron 13 tablet using an HDMI cable. How do I get this to work? The monitor is on, but I am not finding anywhere in settings on the tablet it add it....
  10. Display Ads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Ads: Why is it that players outside the United States cannot disable the ads. When I try to buy a yearly subscription it won't allow me to enter my address information because I don't have a US address....