Windows 10: Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

Discus and support Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a bit of an odd one. I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

This is a bit of an odd one.

I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in various project folders which is messy for a variety of reasons, not least having dozens of the same file exist.

Placing the file at the root of the drive means I can call up the file with a short address, and it all seems to work OK. The only question is whether this will cause any issues for Windows itself, particularly updates and so on.

(although I could place the file elsewhere, it means I don't get to use a short file name which is important because the filename has to appear on the workspace of the program concerned)

So will this cause any long term issues ?

Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ? [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Sep 28, 2017

2. WINDOWS 10 SAVING A FILE TO THE C:\ ROOT DRIVE. ERROR MSG: 0x80070522

AFAIR, Microsoft introduced this restriction with Windows 7. It's part of UAC (User Access Control). If you do not like it then you must turn off UAC (not recommended).

Frederik Long, Sep 28, 2017
  3. WINDOWS 10 SAVING A FILE TO THE C:\ ROOT DRIVE. ERROR MSG: 0x80070522

I used to be able to do this in any of the other windows OS. So is this a new win10 thing that has no solution? I can create folders in C and save files there. But, why is it throwing an error msg like that. If it was not a privilege issue why make
    it look like that to the user?

REDTAIL_CODEGUY, Sep 28, 2017
  4. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

Hi Mooly. None that I'm aware of.

Lots of people will have other folders on the root, like you have Intel and Dell. I have one called Data.

Caledon Ken, Sep 28, 2017
  5. Mooly Win User
    Thanks for that Ken, it seems you do something similar *Smile

I'm trying to tidy everything up for when the Fall update comes along. Although I will clean install, I'm using the available time to get all my files in order first.

Mooly, Sep 28, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Creating files on the root of the C: drive shouldn't cause a problem for Windows, but it may be a problem for the app creating the file. The root of C: is protected and you'll get an 'administrator approval' popup if you try to manually create or save a file there. I'd create a subfolder on C: and use that.

7. Mooly Win User
    Thanks Bree, that a really good point. This application never actually writes to the file (it is just a lookup), but I do occasionally add new data manually to it and yes, you are right... when I tried to paste a new line into it as a test there were objections. I had to open notepad as admin and locate the file manually in order to edit it. Altering the file is such an infrequent occurrence though, that I can probably live with that.

I'll see how it all works in practice now... great not to have all those duplicate files in numerous folders which was the main reason for trying this.

Mooly, Sep 29, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

In the end, it is simply bad practice to put files in root directory. Even putting non system directories is not the greatest idea if they can be placed in user directories or another partition/drive.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ? - Similar Threads - Adding file root

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  4. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  5. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  6. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Adding to C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding to C drive: I have been trying to add my new ssd onto my C drive for the past 3 days now but all the of the unlocated storage goes to disk 0 while the c drive is in disk 1. Is there a way to make the unlocated storage got to the other disk. Both storage devices are SSD...
  8. Adding to C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding to C drive: I have been trying to add my new ssd onto my C drive for the past 3 days now but all the of the unlocated storage goes to disk 0 while the c drive is in disk 1. Is there a way to make the unlocated storage got to the other disk. Both storage devices are SSD...
  9. Adding to C drive

10. Strange file in C:\ root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file in C:\ root?: Sorry for the asinine question but does anyone have any idea what this file is that's just appeared in the root of my C:\ drive? https://ibb.co/TMgVDzF submitted by /u/D3SOL4TE [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k39uqr/strange_file_in_c_root/