Windows 10: Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC'

Discus and support Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC' in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am aware of the Quick access menu but I disabled it, I want to add a folder to the 'This PC' drop down that is not a folder by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pinkfloydeffect, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC'

Hello everyone,

I am aware of the Quick access menu but I disabled it, I want to add a folder to the 'This PC' drop down that is not a folder by default. I forget how I did it in Win7, I think I renamed a default folder I was not using but I do not think I can do that this time. Any ideas?

Thanks

:)

pinkfloydeffect, Apr 7, 2017

2. File Explorer This PC view (Adding folders or shortcuts too)

Thank You for your assistance. But the problem with PC mysteriously vanished and it is now working. First regarding the read me file. The zip copy I downloaded did not have a read me file.

I can't be sure why it is now working. There seems to be two possible explanations.

1. Last night Microsoft sent an automatic update. It finished installing them immediately before the program began to work. Coincidence?

2. After the update I was looking at the executable file properties. Examining the properties of the desktop icon I opened the compatibility tab. Previously I had unsuccessfully run the compatibility troubleshooter from the control panel. It reported
    that the program was incompatible and could not correct it. I noticed that that in the compatibility tab of the properties box I was able to select a previous version of windows and manually assign it to run windows 8. Success at last. This seems to suggest
    that the Compatibility Troubleshooter was the real problem in that It could not determine which version of windows to be compatible with. ???

This whole situation seems bizarre. I can't say for certainty which of the two issues solved the problem.

Regarding the issue of the .dll file. I too thought the installer should have placed it into the folders. After searching the windows and system folders I determined it was not installed. Thus I installed it manually temporarily. Now the program runs and
    the .dll is still not present in the windows, system & system 32 folders.

Problem solved. Many thanks for directing me to PC tweaker and many thanks for going above and beyond in assisting. Cliff

CliffordSanford, Apr 7, 2017
  3. File Explorer This PC view (Adding folders or shortcuts too)

The additional folders you create in the registry will not be preserved if you rollback the system to a previous date. When you create the registry settings, the best option is to export it and keep it safe in case you need to apply it again, or to other
    computers.

>>"Contemporary" and "Classical" were intended to be just examples.

You can add many more folders, each with different GUID strings. See How
    to Add a Custom Folder under "This PC" in File Explorer Navigation Pane?
    tells you how to add a custom folder manually in Windows 10.

MSDN has detailed info on how to add such shell instance items, but you may not find those documentation easy. Integrate
    a Cloud Storage Provider (Windows)
    . Use my article, and example given in the write-up.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 7, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC'

Try 'Winaero Tweaker'

Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC' [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 7, 2017
  5. I was hoping there was a method without installing 3rd party software, I did see this solution on Google.

pinkfloydeffect, Apr 7, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    A note: such small programs usually come about because a particular feature desired is not available in the Operating System.

Berton, Apr 7, 2017
  7. I gave it a shot, I am impressed. I was able to use it as a portable and not even install it! It allowed me to do other things I wanted as well, such as remove OneDrive and Quick Access completely from my navigation pane.

A+

pinkfloydeffect, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC'

1. Adding Custom Folders To 'This PC' - Similar Threads - Adding Custom Folders

2. Renaming custom This PC folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming custom This PC folders: I have two custom folders in This PC, one named TV Shows A-K and the other named TV Shows L-R. These were created using Winaero tweaker. I need to rename these. I cannot access this section of Winaero Tweaker to delete previously created custom This PC folders I can create...
  3. Renaming custom This PC folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming custom This PC folders: I have two custom folders in This PC, one named TV Shows A-K and the other named TV Shows L-R. These were created using Winaero tweaker. I need to rename these. I cannot access this section of Winaero Tweaker to delete previously created custom This PC folders I can create...
  4. Adding PC to Network without adding a specific folder/drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding PC to Network without adding a specific folder/drive?: Is it possible to have a shortcut show up in Network windows 10 latest update as of 6/14/2020 like in older builds where I can click into it and have access to that pc's shared drives? I know how to setup a network drive, but can't figure out how in this newest build to link...
  5. Adding custom folders to left side of start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding custom folders to left side of start menu: Hi, I was wondering if there was a way of adding custom folders instead of download , music etc folders on left of start menu. I have tried kinda everything from personalize settings and start settings. but nothing seems to work out. Thank you for your help....
  6. Window 10 - Adding Custom Wallpaper

Window 10 - Adding Custom Wallpaper: Friends, I added a very nice custom wallpaper graphic to my new Win 10 laptop and the display looked stunning. Then I accidentally hit some combination of keystrokes (which keystrokes - I am not sure) and the new wallpaper image was deleted. I have uploaded the...
  7. customize a folder

customize a folder: How can I customize a folder by placing a photograph on the outside cover. Thanks for the help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-a-folder/99898af7-c99b-4d94-89f8-b4f0b3039375"
  8. Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in...

Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in...: Just got upgraded to Win10 PRO from Win7 PRO at work. I work for an Architect where there are multiple projects where primary folder is unique, and there is a subfolder I need to open up within each projects. The subfolder for each project is labelled 'Specs'. In Windows 7 I...
  9. Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?

Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?: Hi, As the title says, I'm trying to change the default look of the folders located in 'This PC' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc). By this I mean when viewing in 'This PC', and not in 'C:\User Data\', which has no problems. I have tried: - Editing windows.ini...
  10. Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders'

Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders': Custom Icons for This PC 'Folders' ----- I first posted this as a reply to a tutorial but then I noticed it is better suited here ----- First of all, thanks for this guide and all other guides that eliminate the junk that's just useless and irritating. I don't need...