Windows 10: adding desktop folders

Discus and support adding desktop folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running win 10 and I have lost being able to add a folder to my desktop to hold items I want to save. Like I backup my acc'tng. 2 to 3 times a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ben Daniels, Jan 15, 2016.

1. adding desktop folders

I am running win 10 and I have lost being able to add a folder to my desktop to hold items I want to save. Like I backup my acc'tng. 2 to 3 times a week and save in a folder but now I can't create these folders. I was able to go to open space on desktop and right click and a list would come up and there was new folder add and I would click and it would at this folder then I could name it now I can't. When I go there now the list I get is View, sort by, refresh, display settings and personalize. Does any know how to add a desktop folder?
    Thanks
    Ben

:)

Ben Daniels, Jan 15, 2016

2. Windows 10: Documents folder in This PC is different from Documents folder in C:\user

Hi,

What you see in the desktop (background) is the consolidated view of the following items:

1. Files and folders in the per-user desktop, which is C:\Users\<your user name>\Desktop

2. Files and folders in the Public/Common desktop, which is C:\Users\Public\Desktop

3. Namespace items added to desktop, from HKEY_CURRENT_USER

4. Namespace items added to desktop, from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Whereas the This PC > Desktop shows only item #1 above. This is normal.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 15, 2016
  3. How to create a new theme from scratch in Windows 10?

Go to the folder with the pictures you want to use, select all of them and then click on the manage tab at the top of the page, click set as desktop background now the file will be added to themes. go to your desktop left click in the middle of your desktop
    select personalize, double click the folder and then save it.

rayseymour48, Jan 15, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

adding desktop folders

Hi Ben Daniels,

Take a look HERE and see if there's anything that might help.

5. May not be doing right but this doesn't seem to work for win 10

Ben Daniels, Jan 16, 2016
  6. Is anyone on here running win 10?? How do u add a new folder to ur desktop to store files?
    Thanks
    Ben

Ben Daniels, Jan 16, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ben, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, download and merge the .reg files for the listed Folder and Directory items in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below to see if it may help. It will restore the default registry entries for folders.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jan 16, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

adding desktop folders

Would you elaborate " this doesn't seem to work for win 10" statement ?

I am using Win 10 Home, and I followed the regedit steps and here is what I have on New.......................
    exactly what the instruction says I should/need to have.

adding desktop folders [​IMG]

davidhk, Jan 16, 2016
  9. I got this problem fixed I downloaded Windows Tweaking and it cured the problem think it was a register problem any now its back and works fine. Thanks for all ur help
    Ben

Ben Daniels, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

adding desktop folders

1. adding desktop folders - Similar Threads - adding desktop folders

2. Adding folders to Onedrive ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding folders to Onedrive ?: Is there a way to select folders to backup to Onedrive that dont show in the area to add folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-folders-to-onedrive/6592b120-00dd-429f-98b4-9f9277880993
  3. Adding folders to Onedrive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding folders to Onedrive ?: Is there a way to select folders to backup to Onedrive that dont show in the area to add folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-folders-to-onedrive/6592b120-00dd-429f-98b4-9f9277880993
  4. Adding folders to Onedrive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Things don't get added to the Desktop folder in C drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Things don't get added to the Desktop folder in C drive.: Hello! I just installed Windows 10 Home to my new SSD drive. The problem I encounter is that when programs install and their icons are automatically added to the desktop they are absent in the C:/Users/<My name>/Desktop folder. When I enter program's location, create a...
  6. ADDING SHORTCUTS TO DESKTOP?

ADDING SHORTCUTS TO DESKTOP?: How can I add shortcut icons to the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-shortcuts-to-desktop/b301b867-44bf-4359-be5e-f8d71848b834
  7. Adding to my desktop

Adding to my desktop: How do I put important sites I use constantly to my desktop so they can be easily accessed by myself? Please, keep explanations as simple as possible. Definitely not a techie. Thank you...
  8. adding a folder in email

adding a folder in email: please can someone tell me how to create a folder in my email account. I can do it in my first email address but do not have the add sign in the second email address. Thanks...
  9. Adding email folder

Adding email folder: A new email I added doesn't show the + sign to add more folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/adding-email-folder/e52bcdb8-8555-4bd6-aada-eba91fd6faab
  10. Streaming added folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Streaming added folders: Hi, I am having a torrid time trying to work out a problem. I have successfully set up my music library so that I can stream music through to my Hi Fi. But most of my music is on a second internal hard drive. I have set the second folder so that it can be shared and added...