Windows 10: Adding extra files to Media creation USB?

Discus and support Adding extra files to Media creation USB? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This may be a stupid question. When reinstalling the OS with a usb flash drive (using the media creation tool), is it possible to add more files (like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by turboHonk, Apr 20, 2017.

1. turboHonk Win User

Adding extra files to Media creation USB?

This may be a stupid question. When reinstalling the OS with a usb flash drive (using the media creation tool), is it possible to add more files (like extra drivers) to it? Would it cause any conflict in the installation?

:)

turboHonk, Apr 20, 2017
  2. Nick Dich Win User

Adding other files/tools to a Media Creation Tool ESD-USB flash drive

Hi Bruce,

To answer your question, you cannot save anything else on your USB flash drive since it was already used for Media Creation Tool. Using this flash drive for MCT will turn it into a boot type format device, and regardless of its remaining free size, you will
    not be able to use it to store any other files.

Unless you reformat the flash drive, you will not be able to save anything on it. Reformatting it will return it to its original state of being a storage device. It will be best if you have other storage devices for the remaining files and tools you need
    to back up.

Let us know if this answered your question.

Nick Dich, Apr 20, 2017
  3. BruceFoat Win User
    Adding other files/tools to a Media Creation Tool ESD-USB flash drive

I have used the Media creation tool to create a Win10 installation USB drive. During install I chose both 32bit and 64bit OSs. The flash drive is a 16GB drive and there is now about 8GB of free space.

My question is can I now add other files and tools to this USB drive that is labeled ESD-USB?

Please advise, Bruce

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

BruceFoat, Apr 20, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Not a stupid question at all.

You can add anything you want, drivers, your software installers, pictures, as long as it fits. It won`t cause any problems, never has for me. *Smile

Just create your usb installer, then add anything whatever you want.

AddRAM, Apr 21, 2017
  5. turboHonk Win User
    Great to hear. Will save some time next time i do a reinstall.

turboHonk, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Me neither. I like to have a recent cumulative update on mine, I downloaded the off line install package from the Windows Update Catalog. Remember, you'll have to manually install any 'extras' yourself, the USB will just run the Setup it was built for.

7. AddRAM Win User
    The only issue, and it`s not a big deal, is that little programs like CCleaner, GPU`z, Malwarebytes, Precision X, Rufus, Etc. will be outdated when you go to use the installer again.

But you can always update those types of things in your spare time. If you ever have any that is *Sleep

AddRAM, Apr 21, 2017
  8. Adding extra files to Media creation USB?

I like to stick my Office install files on there. I also add some custom stuff with a $OEM$ folder, and a PID.txt file to speed up setup.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding extra files to Media creation USB? - Similar Threads - Adding extra files

2. Media Creation Tool USB won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool USB won't boot: USB created with MediaCreationTool22H2 for W10 won't boot on a New Ryzen 7950X ASUS X670E. I had to use rufus and create a bootable USB from a 22H2 ISO. Pretty sad MS when you can't get your own creation tool to work......
  3. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  4. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  5. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

6. Formatting the usb used for creation media

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting the usb used for creation media: So i recently used my 32gb usb stick to install windows on my dell XPS. i was previously using linux but i had to shift back to windows again. i was wondering how can i reformat the usb. whenever i try to format it, it says it is write protected. I tried almost everything but...
  7. Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Media Creation Tool Bricked USB Drive - No Media: So i tried using Windows Media Creation Tool to create a new Windows Installer to reinstall Windows on my Machine, problem is on the first time i tried it failed and the USB Drive is not detected anywhere. Not in Rufus, Not in UltraISO, and Diskpart says there is No Media. Is...
  8. Media Creation Tool USB install - corrupt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media Creation Tool USB install - corrupt: Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a new pc build. I'm not a regular Windows user but I have already done quite a few installations with CDs and DVDs on physical and virtual computers. The issue I'm currently facing is that both burning and reading DVDs is not an option...
  9. Adding the extra default apps to the .bat file.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding the extra default apps to the .bat file.: I have brought this up before. The present .bat commands are incomplete. I just reinstalled Windows 10 so I took a picture to show how I know and what I'd like to see updated, a before and after picture using CCleaner as it shows and allows you to uninstall what we cannot on...
  10. Windows creation media file

Windows creation media file: HI, I have a problem to download the media creation file of window 10 1909 in my USB. But when I select one of the window 10 x64orx86 version. Then, after that, no options show the select the USB or C: Drive to install window. And the message show that you have low...