Windows 10: Adding second display

Discus and support Adding second display in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to connect a second monitor to my Inspiron 13 tablet using an HDMI cable. How do I get this to work? The monitor is on, but I am not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ctrim49, Aug 10, 2018.

1. ctrim49 Win User

Adding second display

I am trying to connect a second monitor to my Inspiron 13 tablet using an HDMI cable. How do I get this to work? The monitor is on, but I am not finding anywhere in settings on the tablet it add it.

:)

ctrim49, Aug 10, 2018

2. Windows 10: Issues with detecting and adding second monitor.

Hi Brian,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if second monitor is not added properly.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to add the second monitor in the display and check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Settings" without the quotes in the search bar and click on
    System.

3. Click on Display.

4. Click on Detect button and try to add the display.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with adding second monitor, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 10, 2018
  3. FranSwan Win User
    Adding a second display

I have added a second monitor to my computer. I went into settings and display and both monitors appeared. I selected to duplicate and then save. When it asked me to confirm the changes or revert. I selected revert. Now my screen is black and the only
    things i can see is my taskbar. When i select to open a program on my taskbar all it does is show the thumb print and does not restore the program back to the display screen. I hope this makes sense.

I need help to get my display back

FranSwan, Aug 10, 2018
  4. Andriy Win User

Adding second display

second display configuration issue

Hi All,

My configuration:

Windows 10 Pro x64
    AMD Radeon HD 7800

Latest updates and video drivers installed, no hardware changes for 2+ months, latest significant Windows update 2 weeks ago, latest AMD video driver installed at least a week ago.

I have 2 identical displays connected via DVI to Windows PC over several years already with "Extend displays" configuration, and suddenly this configuration stopped working a couple of days ago when I was in the middle of doing something. Windows just replaced it with "Duplicate displays" configuration.

During PC startup I see BIOS diagnostics on both displays. Windows detects 2 displays. "Show only on 1" and "Show only on 2" options work as expected.

Problem: "Extend these displays" results in display 1 going blank and display 2 shows it's part of the image.

AMD Eyefinity (which creates virtual desktop over several monitors) works fine - which suggests that problem maybe only with Windows configuration.

What is done:

• checked cables
    • removed and installed again latest AMD drivers
    • removed second display from the System Devices, refreshed hardware list and added display again - now I have "Generic PnP monitor" and monitor with correct name in Monitors section
    • searched for latest drivers for monitors and display adapters from Device Manager, nothing found

Next I replaced one monitor with monitor from different manufacturer, and everything works as expected - "Extend these displays" configuration shows extended image.

Any ideas what else can be done to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Andriy, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

Adding second display

1. Adding second display - Similar Threads - Adding second display

2. Second Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second Display: I'm unable to detect my second display since upgrading computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-display/47032ee7-f129-4521-abd2-94986695d0dd
  3. Second Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Display: I'm unable to detect my second display since upgrading computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-display/47032ee7-f129-4521-abd2-94986695d0dd
  4. Second Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adding a second email address

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding a second email address: I have my own email and on just one desktop computer, I need to have a second address for husband to receive emails. Thank You https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-second-email-address/7f05c7c2-31eb-4611-b8cc-a3b6bd886144
  6. Adding a second administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding a second administrator: Can I add an adult family member as a second administrator ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-second-administrator/e91cbc60-a97e-405b-bf6f-d5a142c5e49e
  7. Adding a second HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding a second HD: I would like to add the HD from my previous desktop to my new desktop. The few articles I've read have only to do with a NEW HD, not a loaded one and require formatting which I fear will erase the HD. Is this doable? Both are system 10. Any links would be appreciated....
  8. Second Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second Display: My computer no longer see my second display. Nothing changed that I'm aware of except the missing display. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/second-display/a180cb04-7e03-4ca0-b627-271a01317896
  9. Display Ads

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Ads: Why is it that players outside the United States cannot disable the ads. When I try to buy a yearly subscription it won't allow me to enter my address information because I don't have a US address....
  10. Adding a display to a laptop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Adding a display to a laptop: Greetings, I have a new Asus Zenbook Flip. Core M, 512SSD, 8Gbs of RAM. I have an aging iMac and am considering trying a switch completely to Windows. The way I could do this is docking the laptop (where my iMac lives) and hooking up an external 1080p monitor. With a...