Windows 10: Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install

Discus and support Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've removed as much memory I can from C drive and I have to install a thumb drive to add memory so I can install Win 10 upgrade. Says I'm lacking 8GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bobbyparagon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install

I've removed as much memory I can from C drive and I have to install a thumb drive to add memory so I can install Win 10 upgrade. Says I'm lacking 8GB of memory. How do I add it? Aspire One Cloudbook 11 is the unit.

:)

bobbyparagon, Apr 3, 2018
  2. osakepeli Win User

CHKDSK - an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)

It is internal drive. I used media creation tool to download Win 10 installer DVD to USB thumb drive. I did not install Win 10 to computer. I have not upgraded to Win 10 but only booted from thumb drive to access its Repair options in order to open command
    prompt. From there I ran the Chkdsk. Included screenshot for you to take a look. Just in case.

osakepeli, Apr 3, 2018
  3. Bevberk Win User
    Did Microsoft sell me a fake Product Key?

Update.

First, I tried reinstalled Win 7 and upgraded to Win 8 Pro, using the version that Microsoft sold me, followed by trying upgrading to Win 10 Pro, with exactly the same results.

After this, wiped the hard drive and perform a clean reinstall of Win 10 TH2 upgrade, that was first downloaded from Microsoft and installed on a thumb drive.

Then when the product key was requested, first used the Win 8 key, that was rejected, followed this by using the Win 7 key, that was accepted, completed the installation and Win 10 was activated without any issues automatically.

Bev.

Bevberk, Apr 3, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install

You add a thumb drive to your system by plugging it in to a USB port.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2018
  5. I understand that, but Windows doesn't recognize it as usable for an upgrade. Just as another source of files .... How do you make it integral with the Windows system? That's the problem I'm having.

bobbyparagon, Apr 3, 2018
  6. Windows does not recognize a USB drive as more storage for the C:\ drive. The USB is only to save files to and be able to remove from the PC, etc.

Access Denied, Apr 3, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
Thema:

Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install

1. Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install - Similar Threads - Adding thumb drive

2. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  3. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  5. Formatting a Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a Thumb Drive: Just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. I tried to format a thumb drive but when I select File Explorer, all I get is a list of files I've recently opened. I do not see the Thumb Drive. Doesn't matter if I select any files in the Recent Folder, I don't see...
  6. Thumb Drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumb Drive not working: I inserted my thumb drive and it was working perfectly before. But now it says I have to format it and it will erase all the data. How do I access the thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drive-not-working/3f7f37c7-f7d1-42ea-a644-4afbb523dc33
  7. Win 10 Upgrade thumb-drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Upgrade thumb-drive: I was using a Windows 10 Installation media to upgrade a different pc. At step 5 of the Create Installation Media, I selected a 8gb thumb-drive and the process began to download. At about the 50% stage, the process stopped. I waited for three house, but it still remained at...
  8. Thumb Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  9. Syncing Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Syncing Thumb Drive: Our church secretary likes to keep most of her documents on a thumb drive which creates a problem when she's gone, since no one but her has her drive. We've asked that she keep church stuff on the churches computers for this reason, but to no avail. She said this time, "I...
  10. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165