Windows 10: Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager

Discus and support Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Two questions:- 1. Does anyone know of a simple method to add titles, comments, or tags, to folders in Windows 10? There was something called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hairy Scot, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager

Two questions:-

1. Does anyone know of a simple method to add titles, comments, or tags, to folders in Windows 10?
    There was something called HobComment that worked on XP but there does not appear to be a Win10 X64 version.

2. Is it possible to have File Manager ignore definite and indefinite articles (the, a, an) when sorting by name?

:)

Hairy Scot, Feb 14, 2016

2. Windows 10: Add comments/tags/title to folders?

Indeed,

Could someone come up with a reasonable answer why this isn't part of the operating system Windows 10 by now?

Microsoft where are you?

Check
    this
    earlier post.

Steve Jobs acknowledged the power of tagging within the operating system already more then 10 years ago. Hence the first ios file management and the later osx'es.

With tagging for all files and
    folders, you can have:

* smart folders

* on-the-fly temporary folders with referenced files in them

* separation between location and appearance of your files

* multi-dimensional catalogues of folders/files

* cross-linked based libraries

These things would emerge out of using tags. You can't ask people to "Make a Shortcut". What the heck.. would you go through all your files to manage all dispersed shortcuts to certain files when your insights change on the physical location of these files?

Pretty please, Microsoft? Where's the love for your craft? Should we tell you what a modern filesystem should do then?

Best regards,

Bart

BartGoormans, Feb 14, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    Minimal MP3 tags required for proper use \ sorting?

There is no tag field named albumsort or artistsort.

If the field is not title, artist album, comment, track, genre or year you do not need it.

You should get what you want with just a title and artist tag. There should be no characters in the file name except artist and title if you are tagging them from the file name. xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

All my music is tagged with title, artist, album and track, some have year and genre. These are synced ID3v1 and Id3v2 tags. My only Id3v2 tag is album art.

Check the tagging in the songs that don't show up in the atrist list

garym123, Feb 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager

Hi, search syntax is fairly comprehensive- you may find sthg here:
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

(not certain if that's the latest spec)

Ok, folder tips. This works for me.. not ideal, but there..
    Download and install this:
    StyleFolder Download

You also need to do this:
    You'll see your detailed pop-up description the next time you mouse over that folder.

Note: If you don't see a pop-up when you mouse over a folder, you need to enable a couple of settings. In explorer, click Change Folder & Search Options, and then select the View tab. Then, in the Advanced Settings list, select the check boxes for
    Display File Size Information In Folder Tips
    and
    Show Pop-Up Description For Folder And Desktop Items.
    Click OK.

========================
    Now to add a comment, rt click the folder, click
    Customise with StyleFolder.
    The comment appears in the tooltip when you mouseover the folder.
    The option to change the text colour doesn't seem to work

dalchina, Feb 23, 2016
  5. Thanks for the info Dalchina.

However my problem is not a search issue, it's about the sequence in which File Manager displays the folders.

Hairy Scot, Feb 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Could you amplify that? I've answered your 2 original questions, I believe, which didn't mention the display sequence.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2016
  7. Sorry about that.

What I'm after is the ability to have file manager sort folders (and files) in what is termed "library sequence", where definite and indefinite articles are ignored.
    Reason for this is that I occasionally have the need to match certain files and folders with data held in an application which sorts in library sequence and does not have an option to perform an alphabetic sort.
    I can of course get around this by importing both sets into Excel and performing a sort and match there.

It's not a train smash, it's just that like all system programmers (even those who have retired) I am inherently lazy. *Nerd

Hairy Scot, Feb 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, just come across this which I think will interest you- seems very competent.

File Metadata - Download File Meta 1.3

1. Explorer with normal view of details pane for txt

Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager [​IMG]

2. Configuration screen for program

3. Result with several added editable fields and added comment

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding Title/Comments/Tags to Folders + Sort in File Manager - Similar Threads - Adding Title Comments

2. Folder tag info- sorting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder tag info- sorting: I need a way to add an editable column for folders that can be sorted. We have a folder on the server that contains all of of our job folders in it that the name start with the job #. There can be 3-400 of these during the course of a year. I'd like to add a column that would...
  3. Folder tag info- sorting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder tag info- sorting: I need a way to add an editable column for folders that can be sorted. We have a folder on the server that contains all of of our job folders in it that the name start with the job #. There can be 3-400 of these during the course of a year. I'd like to add a column that would...
  4. Folder tag info- sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  6. Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort files in Explorer folder view by "Date Added to This Folder": I'm manually copying a large number of files from one folder to another. The folder names, modified date, and creation date are all irrelevant for keeping track of where I am in the process. The only sort option that would be useful to me is "Date/Time the file was added to...
  7. I want to use file property columns for sorting; how to populate Title or Tags or File...

I want to use file property columns for sorting; how to populate Title or Tags or File...: How can I populate values into file FOLDER property columns: Title and/or Tags and/or File Description? Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-use-file-property-columns-for-sorting/2145a2ca-f9dd-4995-9018-11cc060c0909"
  8. tags and titles

tags and titles: I know that photos have a tag and a title but I cannot tell the difference. Could you explain what the difference is. hank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tags-and-titles/cf6bf693-0f5a-4b6c-b2c7-fe9e892cb877"
  9. Sort by date added to folder

Sort by date added to folder: I would like to sort by date added to a folder. None of the date options seem able to recognise when something was added to a folder. Is this possible? This question has been asked many times - but I couldn't find an answer that was current....
  10. Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments: Hi, just come across this File Metadata (free) which I think will interest you- seems very competent in tagging files. At the bottom I've added a note about StyleFolder (free), which adds comments to folders. If you want to add comments, tags, metadata to files, this is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file manager android sort tags video

2. file manager sort by tags

3. adding title to folders