Windows 10: Adding Windows 10 Clients to Windows Server Essentials 2016

Discus and support Adding Windows 10 Clients to Windows Server Essentials 2016 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to add Windows 10 clients to Windows Server essentials 2016. It seem that in order for the server to see the clients I must the clients... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by monahanz, Oct 20, 2016.

1. monahanz Win User

Adding Windows 10 Clients to Windows Server Essentials 2016

I am trying to add Windows 10 clients to Windows Server essentials 2016. It seem that in order for the server to see the clients I must the clients join the server server Domain. (Currently they are in a workgroup).

It looks like one has to change the Windows10 clients to access the WSE-2016 DNS. So in windows 10 I go to networks, bring up the adaptor setting. Bring up "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IvP4) and instead of "Obtain the DNS address automatically" change it to always get the DNS address on the WSE-2016 (found with ipconfig).
    Then within Windows I use “System”, “about”, and Join the server DOMAIN. It now works. The client can now see the Server domain.
    I can then see the Server files and the server can see the Windows 10 shared files.
    There are still problems however.
    When I reboot the Windows 10 client. I have a brand new user screen with only some of my original desktop icons showing. Do I have to essentially rebuild up everything on my desktop again!
    Question: Is there not a way to have my original desktop appear when I am joined to the Domain.
    Second, since there will be times when the server is off I used the router static DNS IP address as the alternative address in the above dialog box of the Windows10 clients. Seems to work since the client can access the internet even with the WSE 2016 off.
    Here is my second question. I have a few home laptops as well. If I force the DNS to the server what happens when I travel. Do I have to manually go into the laptop network adaptor settings and change things back to the “Obtain DNS automatically” each time?
    There has got to be a better way. Anybody have any ideas.
    John

:)

monahanz, Oct 20, 2016

2. Changing default user profiles and data from client SSD to client E: drive - Windows Server 2016 Essentials

It's all a question of space...

I have a number of Windows 10 Pro PCs that are all clients of a Server 2016 Essentials box, all with a small SSD primary drive and a large HDD for data (C: and EAdding Windows 10 Clients to Windows Server Essentials 2016 :). I need to get the user's server-based Folder Redirection data to sync to E:\Users\[username]
    on each client instead of the SSD-based (and therefore very space-constricted) C:\Users\[username].

Many thanks.

MikeAllmey, Oct 20, 2016
  3. Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Connector Update won't install on Windows 10

I tried to install the update Windows10.0-KB2790621-x64.msu for connecting the windows 10 pro x64 client

to the windows server 2012 R2 essentials server, but the msu package always fails on the client.

any idea how to solve that or manually install the connector software ?

i already tried to copy the files "system32\essentials" from a working client to the client with the installation problems

but the deploy.exe wont work. do i have to register all the dlls ?

ITEvolution, Oct 20, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

When Windows client computers are not joined to a domain they use the local SAM database to authenticate to the client computer. When the computer is domain joined you are using an AD user account to log into the computer. These accounts are going to have different SIDs as well as local profiles on the system. If you log into the computer with an account that has local admin access, you can simply move or copy the data from the local user account folder into the domain account user folder. The user folders inherit permissions from the root C:\Users\<username> so they should automatically gain access to the newly copied data.

Neemobeer, Oct 20, 2016
  5. monahanz Win User
    Thanks so much Neemobeer, you are the first person to reply with some real help.
    I'm a bit of a newbie so excuse the dumb questions.

Do I understand then that if I have the W10 clients setup to force the W10 clients to lookup the local DNS on the WSE-2016 and if I then take a laptop on the road (where that forced DNS. or my home router DNS) is no longer available that Windows 10 will somehow skip the above forced DNS and actually get another from the new (hotel etc), server.

Second question. Since my Windows 10 clients all have administrator accounts, if I just move the WORKGROUP desktop folder across to the DOMAIN desktop folder would everything be OK. i.e. would the clients behave just as if nothing happened.

monahanz, Oct 20, 2016
  6. Neemobeer Win User
    The DNS servers a client will use are generally supplied by DHCP, so if your server is hosting DHCP it will, as part of the info given to the client give them the DNS server(s) to use. If you go to a hotel or coffee shop their routers will handle DHCP and tell the client which DNS server(s) to use.

Yes you can simply copy the data from the local account user to the domain user folder and it will inherit access. You will need to that with an account that has local administrator access.

Neemobeer, Oct 20, 2016
  7. monahanz Win User
    What I don't quite understand Neemobeer is if the Windows 10 NIC card configuration is set to a fixed DNS address (and not the get the address automatically) how does it work in an outside the network situations.

Does the router/windows 10 client just ignore these things if it cannot find a DNS server and go straight to the router for one overlooking the NIC card configuration?

This is very important for me to know because I travel a lot and will find myself in all kinds of environments with these laptops.

Thanks for clarifying the second question as well. Will give it a try.

John

monahanz, Oct 20, 2016
  8. Neemobeer Win User

If you have them set statically, then DNS resolution will not work when you connect to any other network but your own. It will not automatically look to the router for this info. I'd recommend adding the DNS server(s) to your DHCP and setting DNS servers to "Obtain DNS server address automatically". Otherwise if you leave your network you will need to set this every time.

Neemobeer, Oct 20, 2016
  9. monahanz Win User
    last question, even if I use the google 8.8.8.8 on the clients as the secondary DNS

monahanz, Oct 21, 2016
  10. Neemobeer Win User
    Depends how the network you are connected to is managed. Some places may block users from query up-stream dns servers to control data flow. In other words they may require you query their DNS servers and only their dns servers are allowed to query dns outside of the network. If they don't control dns that tightly then using Googles public dns server should work.

Neemobeer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Adding Windows 10 Clients to Windows Server Essentials 2016 - Similar Threads - Adding Clients Server

2. Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage: Bonjour, je viens de créer une installation propre de Windows Server 2016 Essentials et je l'ai mis à jour avec la dernière version actuelle Build 14393.5989. Mon serveur héberge une AD-DC, un DNS et un serveur IIS. Peu après que j'aie configuré les partages et rajouté...
  3. Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server 2016 Essentials fail to start Essentials Storage: Bonjour, je viens de créer une installation propre de Windows Server 2016 Essentials et je l'ai mis à jour avec la dernière version actuelle Build 14393.5989. Mon serveur héberge une AD-DC, un DNS et un serveur IIS. Peu après que j'aie configuré les partages et rajouté...
  4. Upgrade Windows Server Essentials 2016 to 2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Windows Server Essentials 2016 to 2022: I haven't done this in a while. I have a client who is moving from Windows Server 2016 Essentials to the newest version Windows Server 2022 Essentials. What steps should I follow in performing this migration? Thanks....
  5. Upgrade Windows Server Essentials 2016 to 2022

Upgrade Windows Server Essentials 2016 to 2022: I haven't done this in a while. I have a client who is moving from Windows Server 2016 Essentials to the newest version Windows Server 2022 Essentials. What steps should I follow in performing this migration? Thanks....
  6. Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem: Hi.My Server 2016 Essentials computer seems to be stuck with a Windows Update package that is trying to install Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable...
  7. Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem

Server 2016 Essentials Windows Update Problem: Hi.My Server 2016 Essentials computer seems to be stuck with a Windows Update package that is trying to install Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable...
  8. Windows Server 2016 Essentials Ghost Account Problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Server 2016 Essentials Ghost Account Problem: I created my first standard domain user 'xyz' but I think I may have created the user profile incorrectly. 'xyz' is not listed as a user in Active Directory, but when I try to create user 'xyz' again it says that the user already exists. How can I remove this user so that I...
  9. Removing windows server essentials experience from Windows Server 2016 server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing windows server essentials experience from Windows Server 2016 server: I have a Windows Server 2016 Standard which was previously a Windows Essentials 2016 running in a HyperV role. Can I safely remove the Windows Server Essentials Experience function without breaking anything? I have the same question for one of my virtual servers which is...
  10. Windows Server Essentials 2016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Server Essentials 2016: I am unable to login under a different username to some of my Pc's. It looks like there is no domain authentication but only the local Cache. This happened after a power failure during an update....