Windows 10: Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Discus and support Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key... 1. Created a 200GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SweyneForkbeard, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key...

1. Created a 200GB partition for 10.
    2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version).
    3. Installed 10 into said 200GB partition with no reported errors.
    4. Installer first reboot re-loaded the installer, so removed and rebooted. You'd think they would do something about this, but I'm not holding my breath. Also few walkthrus mention this fact.
    5. Boots Windows 7 original bootloader with no sign of the 10 install, so unable to continue on with the setup.
    6. Booted into 7 and I can see the installed 10 partition (with no drive letter obviously). Assigned a drive letter and explorer shows Win 10 files are present, and what looks like a bootloader.

According to various sources a Win 10 install will lay down its own bootloader and provide a dual-boot to the pre-existing o/s, in this case Win 7.

As a quick and dirty I used EasyBCD to create a third entry to 10 inside the 7 bootloader, but it throws an error when trying to use that option, something about not being able to verify the o/s.

It should be noted this is an MBR arrangement, a Dell machine, with a separate 20GB OEM recovery partition containing the Win 7 bootloader.

Any "intelligent" ideas much appreciated.

:)

SweyneForkbeard, Mar 2, 2016

2. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key...

1. Created a 200GB partition for 10.

2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version).

3. Installed 10 into said 200GB partition with no reported errors.

4. Installer first reboot re-loaded the installer, so removed and rebooted. You'd think they would do something about this, but I'm not holding my breath. Also few walkthrus mention this fact.

5. Boots Windows 7 original bootloader with no sign of the 10 install, so unable to continue on with the setup.

6. Booted into 7 and I can see the installed 10 partition (with no drive letter obviously). Assigned a drive letter and explorer shows Win 10 files are present, and what looks like a bootloader.

According to various sources a Win 10 install will lay down its own bootloader and provide a dual-boot to the pre-existing o/s, in this case Win 7.

As a quick and dirty I used EasyBCD to create a third entry to 10 inside the 7 bootloader, but it throws an error when trying to use that option, something about not being able to verify the o/s.

It should be noted this is an MBR arrangement, a Dell machine, with a separate 20GB OEM recovery partition containing the Win 7 bootloader. Partition Wizard shows the 10 partition status as "None". I would have expected it to be at least "System"?!?

Any "intelligent" ideas much appreciated.

EDIT: this problem has been solved on the TenForums:

Ten Forums Solution

SweynForkbeard, Mar 2, 2016
  3. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

"Never use BIOS Boot Order for booting Windows installation media, instead use BIOS
    Boot Menu Key
    or else flash media will restart install unless it is unplugged."

That ought to be made clear by MS, and telling that you sent me to a non-MS site to explain that fact.

I assumed a USB re-boot would be the case, but did NOT assume that the boot loader would fail to be configured during the initial installation. This boot loader failure is unacceptable and should
    be addressed.

It sounds like your install never finished after that snafu, lest it should have configured the Dual Boot menu, and because EasyBCD could not boot a working install.

The install did finish and it rebooted too. Regardless, Windows failed to configure the machine so that even if the BIOS was not hard-wired to boot from a USB device (hardly a crime and far
    from uncommon) it should still function as expected such that after a BIOS change back to standard boot sequence Windows 10 can be loaded. The installation (pre-setup) was successful and should not have resulted in an ability to prevent booting 10 without
    command line intervention (see below).

Can you let us know exactly what fixed it so others can benefit? Hardly anyone goes to that other forums, and search results leading to there rarely provide a solution.

What stats are you using to confirm that "hardly anyone goes to that other forum" and "search results leading to there rarely provide a solution"? I understand if you don't have stats you made a gut response, we all
    do that at times, but it sounds like sour grapes and that's not helpful to anyone.

No solution was provided here on the official site, yet a solution was provided there and within a reasonable time. I have no stats regarding how this site compares to the other site, but a solution provided is a solution provided.

The solution is as follows:

From an elevated ("Run as administrator") command prompt in Windows 7 try:

bcdboot e:\Windows

The path in red will be the path to the Windows 10 "Windows" folder.

Why did the "experts" on the official site fail to resolve this issue? Am I to assume that MS and those associated with it never tested what would happen in this simple scenario? Perhaps I am to assume that they did test it, found the issue and chose
    not to make it abundantly clear what might happen?!?

Whatever way we box on this doesn't bode well for MS.

SweynForkbeard, Mar 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

From an elevated ("Run as administrator") command prompt in Windows 7 try:

bcdboot e:\Windows

The path in red will be the path to the Windows 10 "Windows" folder.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    If NavyLCDR's method does not work (usually does of course), you could try this.

Create a bootable Winpe Rescue drive usb stick or dvd using this link :-

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

copying iso files using rufus or diskpart commands.

Boot from drive, and run Macrium Reflect.

Then select restore tab, select 'fix windows boot problems'.

You should see Windows 10 and Windows 7 listed.

Then click next, finish and it will recreate the dual boot menu for you.

Worth creating that Winpe Rescue Drive anyway as a lot of great stuff on it, and has bcdedit on it, amongst other good stuff.

cereberus, Mar 2, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Check if the boot timeout option defaulted to 0.

Edwin, Mar 2, 2016
  7. I asked for an intelligent response and you not only gave me that, you also fixed the problem.

After running your solution and restarting, the machine booted directly into the Win10 bootloader, offering me Win10, plus my original two options from my Win7 bootloader.

Thank you very much.

I've yet to try Win7, but I've been able to enter Win10, update and active it (with a Win7 product key).

It's a shame the problem exists in the first place of course. This will be the 4th Win 10 install on different machines, and all four had varying problems. One of which requires a new WiFi card to resolve.

8. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

NavyLCDR's solution did work, but many thanks for the information.

My second bootloader option is Macrium Reflect's utility *Wink I backed up various partitions with it, just to be on the safe side.

9. Thank you for the reply, but NavyLCDR's solution worked.

10. cereberus Win User
    Music to my ears Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. :).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

1. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. - Similar Threads - Adding dual boot

2. How to install dual boot windows 7 & Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install dual boot windows 7 & Windows 10?: i already installed windows 10 in my lenovo ideapad 320. It has UEFI & GPT Partition.when i was trying to install windows 7 these are im getting errors 1) stucked on boot logo ( In MBR) 2) keyboard & mouse won't working (In GPT) tried UEFI & legacy mode __/\__ none of them...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  4. Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not boot after Windows 7 Dual-boot Installation.: I recently installed Windows 7 alongside Windows 10 for better support for older games, however Windows 10 will now no longer boot, it simply goes to a black screen with a circle of spinning dots with occasional disk activity. I have left it like this for at least 3 hours...
  5. Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.

Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.: I have installed windows 7 64 bit now i want to install windows 10 in another hard disk partition because i want dual boot so i can use both win7 and win10. The problem is, when i try to install win 10 i cant select any drive to install and the error is like "The selected...
  6. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  7. Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot

Windows 7, upgrade to Windows 10 then clean install dual boot: OK, I have Windows 7 OEM Version and want to upgrade to Windows 10 After I get Windows 10 Activated through the upgrade can I... Clean install Windows 7 (with Original 7 key) and clean install Windows 10 (should automatically activate) to have a dual boot? Or is Microsoft...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...
  9. Help to Install Windows 7, dual boot with Windows 10

Help to Install Windows 7, dual boot with Windows 10: Currently I'm running Windows 10 fall creators update Pro-64 bit. For some unavoidable reason I need to install Windows 7 Ultimate alongside Windows 10 (dual boot). But whenever I'm trying to install windows 7 it's saying "Your computer is already running newer version of...
  10. Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10

Dual Boot Install Windows 7 on Windows 10: Hi All, I already have Windows 10 Home x64 on my notebook. I had upgraded from Windows 8.1. I have never had Windows 7 on this system. I want to dual boot install Windows 7 on a partition so that I can play some games that are not compatible with Windows 10. *Sad I...