Windows 10: Additional post-Anniversary update kills Sticky Notes app

Discus and support Additional post-Anniversary update kills Sticky Notes app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just confirmed this behavior on a number of Windows 10 Pro x64 machines. Immediately after installation of Anniversary Update the Sticky Notes app... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AndreyT, Aug 2, 2016.

1. AndreyT Win User

Additional post-Anniversary update kills Sticky Notes app

Just confirmed this behavior on a number of Windows 10 Pro x64 machines. Immediately after installation of Anniversary Update the Sticky Notes app works as intended.

However, later the Store app will show that there's an update for Sticky Notes app. Downloading and installing that update kills Sticky Notes app. Trying to launch Sticky Notes results in a brief appearance of the Sticky Notes taskbar tab and "busy" circle next to mouse cursor. Then it immediately disappears and nothing else happens.

:)

AndreyT, Aug 2, 2016

2. Transfer Sticky Notes snt file to new PC with win 10 1607

Sticky Notes is now a modern app.. no more classic Win32 app. But you can try copying StikyNot.exe and the corresponding .mui file from your old installation (Windows.old) or from a Windows 1511 ISO.

Get back Classic Sticky Notes After Installing Windows 10 Anniversary Update:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/get-classic-sticky-notes-windows-10-anniversary/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 2, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

The entry in the Error Log is consistent across all machines

(with the exception of process ids, start times etc.)

So far, all updated Windows 10 Pro x64 machines I inspected (about 20) have this problem except for 1. The one machine that does not have this problem happens to be an AMD machine, but this is unlikely the definitive difference.

SFC and DISM do not repair this.

Occasionally, after a reboot, Sticky Notes app manages to successfully launch once. But no more than once.

AndreyT, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Mooch Win User
    I have the exact same problem. Also tried SFC/DISM/Get-AppxPackage etc. Event log says Event ID 5973, basically can't open app.

Mooch, Aug 4, 2016
  6. AndreyT Win User
    Just tried a clean x64 Pro install from 1607 ISO. No improvement.

The original user account created during installation seems to work fine with Sticky Notes. However, any additional user accounts eventually lose Sticky Notes functionality to the above error.

AndreyT, Aug 5, 2016
  7. Mooch Win User
    I resolved my issue by uninstalling the app via PowerShell, rebooting and re-installing the app from "My Library" in the Windows Store.
    I had tried this before but hadn't done a reboot in between.

Mooch, Aug 5, 2016
  8. Additional post-Anniversary update kills Sticky Notes app

Thank you for this, Mooch. I was looking for a solution for this for hours.

I would have found it faster but the OP misspelled "Sticky" - "Stocky" in the thread title ... perhaps a moderator or the OP can correct that for others searching?

Monsieurtalbot, Aug 7, 2016
  9. UPDATE - after the above fix, a number of hours pass and the issue has returned. Ugh. This is driving me nuts.

Monsieurtalbot, Aug 8, 2016
  10. AndreyT Win User
    If you go to Settings -> System ->Apps & Features, locate Sticky Notes app in the list, click on it, hit Advanced Options, and then Reset button, it will reset app data. After that it becomes possible to launch Sticky Notes app again. It will launch as if for the first time.

However, it is only possible to launch it once. Once you close it, it will not launch anymore (until you reset it again).

AndreyT, Aug 9, 2016
  11. laajr Win User
    Supposedly, Microsoft is working on an update to sticky notes to fix this. On their community forum one of their engineers mentioned that a fix was being tested.

laajr, Aug 9, 2016
  12. It's not just localized to sticky notes from what I can tell... Other random store purchases are doing similar stuff... Most of its just apps not launching ... All referencing the same API in the event viewer.

Monsieurtalbot, Aug 9, 2016
  13. AndreyT Win User

True. I just tried TuneIn Radio app. On the surface, it works as expected. However, if I tell it to add some radio station to the "homescreen" (whatever that means, I just wanted to try), it responds with an "unknown error" message, though continues to play the statioin. Meanwhile, Event Log receives the same "Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\twinapi.appcore.dll" record. Basically, at this time it is safe to conclude that the universal app infrastructure is generally broken.

AndreyT, Aug 9, 2016
  14. Yep. That's the one.

My amd machines don't have this issue for some reason... Only my Intel machines. Smh.

Monsieurtalbot, Aug 9, 2016
  15. laajr Win User
    A fix is supposed to be in a insider build for testing. The problem is associated with the display magnification setting. The default display magnification is 125%. Changing this to 100% seems to resolve the issue temporarily (at least it worked on my NB). Settings, display, set to 100%. Still not seeing my previous notes....
    Not sure if I'm missing something...

At this point I can open new notes and the PGM seems to work....

laajr, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Additional post-Anniversary update kills Sticky Notes app - Similar Threads - Additional post Anniversary

2. Sticky Notes Note Updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sticky Notes Note Updating: I had to recently get a new computer for work that could support Windows 11 due to more of the companies software we use updating to Windows 11. I have attempted to open up sticky notes multiple times, but everytime I have opened up sticky notes, it get's stuck on a window...
  3. Sticky Notes Note Updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sticky Notes Note Updating: I had to recently get a new computer for work that could support Windows 11 due to more of the companies software we use updating to Windows 11. I have attempted to open up sticky notes multiple times, but everytime I have opened up sticky notes, it get's stuck on a window...
  4. Why Sticky Note implemented an additional movement to call and hide notes?

Why Sticky Note implemented an additional movement to call and hide notes?: Hi,It used to be like you had several sticky notes and if clicked on the Sticky Note icon on your Taskbar, all appeared on the screen exactly where you placed them. After I am not sure which Windows Update the notes appear the same way like for example browser windows and you...
  5. the reply to the sticky notes post

the reply to the sticky notes post: the problem being using "reset" as a solution. I had to paste "apps and features" into the search bar, when in the system screen for example you might want to include the action of doing the reset, will actually, wipe out all of your current sticky notes. many people...
  6. sticky notes app

sticky notes app: after windows update, sticky notes app does not load/open. Is there another location I can retrieve my information!?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-app/df26ad92-9656-44c6-a045-ee8fab63c0e6
  7. UPDATE OLD STICKY NOTES TO NEW STICKY NOTES

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UPDATE OLD STICKY NOTES TO NEW STICKY NOTES: HOW DOW I UPDATE OLD STICKY NOTES TO NEW STICKY NOTES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-old-sticky-notes-to-new-sticky-notes/62700545-b239-49ff-a9c3-a43ce1e4435a
  8. Sticky notes app

Sticky notes app: I hate the new look (dark gray notes with a post-it-note colored title bar). Give me back my pink, green, and yellow notes! It needs tab stops so I can make columnated lists It needs to be able to change fonts or at least support fixed pitch fonts. (Yes, I know you can...
  9. Sticky Notes App

Sticky Notes App: The recent update of Sticky Notes has been very useful. Since I am a frequent user of this app, I would appreciate if more features could be added to it. 1) Adding colours to the text typed. 2) Increase or decrease of the size of fonts used. 3) Option to select a font...
  10. Microsoft Sticky Notes app update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Sticky Notes app update: A brand new Sticky Notes for Windows has arrived! Thanks to a new and improved design, added intelligence and Pen support, it is now easier than ever to quickly capture and add context to all your notes. Version notes Version number: Varies by device We like to make...