Windows 10: Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

Discus and support Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10 How to Change Brightness of Built-in Display in Windows 10 If you have a laptop or tablet, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

How to: Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

How to Change Brightness of Built-in Display in Windows 10

If you have a laptop or tablet, you might need to occasionally change the screen brightness. For example, if you want to use your laptop outdoors on a sunny day, you might need a brighter screen to see the display clearly. Or, if you're in a dark room, you might want to make the screen less bright.

A brighter display uses more power, which reduces battery life.

If the Screen brightness option isn't available, your PC might not support brightness adjustment or you might need to update your display drivers.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17639, Microsoft removed the display brightness slider in Control Panel Power Options and the Display brightness section under Power Options Advanced Settings.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18282, Microsoft heard your feedback about a specific case where a display can become brighter when transitioning from a battery charger to battery power. Microsoft is modifying the display brightness behavior so that this can no longer happen. If a person adjusts their display brightness, that brightness will now be remembered as their preferred brightness whether they are on battery or connected to a charger. This new behavior results in a more consistent and battery friendly experience. This does not affect battery saver mode settings; if a person has opted into lowering the screen brightness in battery saver mode, their display will still dim when the battery is below the threshold selected.

This tutorial will show you different ways to change the display screen brightness on your Windows 10 laptop or tablet.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Adjust Screen Brightness with Keyboard
    • Option Two: To Adjust Screen Brightness from Power Icon on Notification Area
    • Option Three: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Action Center
    • Option Four: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Display Settings
    • Option Five: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Power Options
    • Option Six: To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Edit Plan Settings
    • Option Seven: To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Advanced Power Settings
    • Option Eight: To Adjust Screen Brightness in PowerShell
    • Option Nine: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Ease of Access Settings
    • Option Ten: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows Mobility Center
    • Option Eleven: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel

OPTION ONE [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness with Keyboard
    1. Some keyboards may have shortcut keys that you can use to adjust your display brightness with like the example below. Please refer to your keyboard's or PC's manual for what they are for it if available. (see screenshot below)

Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness from Power Icon on Notification Area
    *note This option is no longer available starting with Windows 10 build 17655.

1. Click/tap on the Power icon on the taskbar notification area. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the brightness button to toggle between a 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% brightness level.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in Action Center
    1. Open the action center.

2. Click/tap on the brightness quick action button to toggle between a 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% brightness level. (see screenshot below)

Note Starting with Windows 10 build 18277, the brightness quick action button is now a slider instead.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in Display Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and adjust the Change brightness slider left (lower) or right (higher) to the level you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in Power Options
    *note This option is no longer available starting with Windows 10 build 17639.
    1. Open Power Options.

2. Move the Screen brightness slider at the bottom left (lower) or right (higher) to the level you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Edit Plan Settings
    1. Open Power Options, and click/tap on the Change plan settings link for your current active power plan. (see screenshot below)

2. Move the Adjust plan brightness slider(s) left (lower) or right (higher) to the level you want, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Advanced Power Settings
    1. Open Power Options, and click/tap on the Change plan settings link for your current power plan. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Change advanced power settings link. (see screenshot below)

3. In your current active power plan's (ex: High Performance) advanced settings, expand open Display and Display brightness. (see screenshot below step 4)

4. Change the brightness percentage to the level you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

Code:
    *note Substitute <Brightness Level> in the command above with 0 to 100 brightness level percentage you want.

For example with 75% brightness level:
    Code:
    3. You can now close Powershell if you like.

OPTION NINE [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in Ease of Access Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Change the brightness of your built-in display for what you want under Make everything brighter on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TEN [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows Mobility Center
    1. Open the Windows Mobility Center.

2. Adjust the Display brightness slider to the percentage level you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Windows Mobility Center if you like.

OPTION ELEVEN [/i] To Adjust Screen Brightness in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel
    *note This option is only available if your computer has Intel graphics.

1. Open Intel Graphics Control Panel from All Apps in the Start menu *Start

2. Click/tap on Color Settings in the left pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Adjust the Brightness slider to the level you want, and click/tap on Apply.

4. When finished, you can close the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 30, 2016
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Manually Adjust The Minimum Backlight Brightness on Windows 10 Desktop

We appreciate your response. There are 4 methods on how you can adjust the screen brightness in Windows 10. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these methods below which you're not done yet:

Method 1: Adjust screen brightness using hotkeys:

• Press Fn + F5/F6 can be used to adjust the screen brightness.
    • Look at your keyboard to see brightness symbol on Function keys.

Method 2: Use Action Center to display brightness in Windows 10

• Click on the Action Center icon in the taskbar to reveal the Action Center pane.
    • Click on the brightness tile to increase/reduce the display brightness. If you can’t see the brightness tile, click
      Expand button.
    • Clicking on the brightness tile once will take the brightness to the next level. For instance, if you click on the tile when the brightness is at 25%, the brightness will be increased to 50%. Once the brightness is reaches 100%, click on the tile again
      to start from 0%.

Method 3: Use settings to adjust screen brightness in Windows 10

• Open Settings by clicking on its icon in the left side of the Start menu.
    • At the home page of Settings, click System.
    • You should now see Adjust brightness level option with a slider to adjust the display brightness. If you can’t see the option, click on Display (Settings > System > Display).

Method 4: Use Control Panel to adjust brightness in Windows 10

• Right-click on the battery icon in system tray of taskbar and then click
      Adjust screen brightness option to open Power Options window.
    • At the bottom of the screen, you should see Screen brightness option with a slider. Move the slider towards the left of the screen to reduce the screen brightness and towards to the right to increase the brightness.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 30, 2016
  3. After switching to windows 19 my computer screen is too bright

After downloaded windows 10, my screen is too bright. How do I adjust the brightness.

KarenFurman, Oct 30, 2016
  4. RUU
    Ruu Win User

1. Does nothing
    2. No icon on notification area

3. No icon on notification area
    4. No brightness slider

5. No options at all. When I click on "change display settings" it opens point 4 display settings

6. No slider under power settings
    7. And option under advanced power settings

8. Not sure what it means, but brightness won't change anyway

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ruu, *Smile

Is this a PC, laptop, or tablet?

If PC, then the screen brightness setting won't be available.

Brink, Dec 28, 2016
  6. RUU
    Ruu Win User
    Yes, it is PC.
    But why? My screen is too dark

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's a setting only available on tablets and notebooks.

You should still be able to manually adjust the brightness level with the monitor's on screen settings though. Check your monitor's manual for more on how to do so. It'll usually be a button at the bottom of the monitor to press.

Brink, Dec 28, 2016
  8. oneLess Win User

I use this registry pathes

Code: ; ; power plan HIGH PERFORMANCE - set video dim to 65% for DC ; reg_keyname = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb" reg_valuename = "DCSettingIndex" reg_type = "REG_DWORD" reg_value = 65 ; ; power plan HIGH PERFORMANCE - set video dim to 100% for AC ; reg_keyname = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb" reg_valuename = "ACSettingIndex" reg_type = "REG_DWORD" reg_value = 100 ;[/quote]
    for laptops.
    The values are for High Performance plan only
    Works in 10 , 8.x , 7

c

oneLess, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adjust Screen Brightness

2. No screen brightness adjust.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No screen brightness adjust.: Ok so I have two AOC 24G2 monitors, and I have downloaded the drivers from AOC and installed them. I have fully updated windows, mobo, and gpu drivers. And I have followed this entire guideline, and still have no brightness adjuster anywhere. For the power options I do not...
  3. Adjusting screen brightness.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adjusting screen brightness.: Since I updated my laptop to the newest version of windows, I have found that I can't turn up/down the brightness. The brightness keys are not working, also in the notification panel there is no slider to adjust the brightness. Furthermore, the night light is also not...
  4. Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10: Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-adjust-screen-brightness-in-windows-10/74945e5a-ff17-4439-a1ab-6da97432a826
  5. Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness in Windows 10: I'm using Windows 10 Home on an ASUS laptop (Intel Core i7-8550U CPI @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz) and am unable to adjust my screen's brightness. When you move the bar in display settings, nothing happens, and there is no button available to apply changes anymore. I imagine there's...
  6. Screen brightness adjust problems

Screen brightness adjust problems: I couldnt adjust my screen brightness cause the brightness button didnt working, it stuck at 0% and i cant click on it At the setting display section it didnt show the screen brightness bar either. I dont remember this problem happenned after i updating window or not, it been...
  7. Can't adjust screen brightness in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't adjust screen brightness in windows 10: Previously I was able to adjust my screen brightness using the F11 and F12 keys but after January 2019 update I cannot seem to be able to do so. Pressing them does display the bar with the slider but the brightness does not change. I have tried updating the drivers for the...
  8. Screen brightness adjustment

Screen brightness adjustment: Facts: Windows 10, ASUS 430U. Recently my screen brightness can no longer be adjusted. Whether I go into settings or tap on my keyboard symbols or hit the screen brightness icon in notifications, the brightness does not adjust up or down. Called ASUS, they had me do a...
  9. Screen brightness keeps adjusting

Screen brightness keeps adjusting: Every 10 sec's I get a bleep and the screen brightens or darkens alternatively. Any ideas please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-brightness-keeps-adjusting/91282db6-c7be-414b-8073-2824d1714d84
  10. Can't adjust screen brightness on windows 10

Can't adjust screen brightness on windows 10: I just got my brand new laptop yesterday, it's an ASUS TUF GAMING 504, aaaaaaaaaaand the brightness is stuck at 100%. I tried enabling the adaptive brightness- that didn't work, I tried updating the Basic Display Adapter(which was already up to date)- that didn't, I also...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. brightness adjustment

2. Adjust Brightness of Screen

3. Screen Brightness Control Panel

4. Adjust Screen Brightness Windows 10,
  5. Brightness Adjuster,
  6. manually adjust brightness windows 10