Windows 10: Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Down Your SSD Drive

Discus and support Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Down Your SSD Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Firefox browsers are constantly writing large amounts of data to SSD drives, sometimes at higher values than the ones recommended by their vendors for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Borg 386, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Down Your SSD Drive

Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Down Your SSD Drive - MSFN

:)

Borg 386, Nov 10, 2016
  2. moby61 Win User

Nokia N95 Copped wallpaper

I have down-loaded the latest soft-wear to my N95. Unfortunately the new soft-wear insists on cropping my pictures when I set them to wallpaper even-though I have down-sized the pictures before loading onto the phone. Really annoying, Can any help!

moby61, Nov 10, 2016
  3. Win 10 updates

Turn off your monitor.

Is there any particular reason why you leave your PC on around the clock? You will save power and wear of the hardware by setting the default Power Options for Balanced Plan so it goes to sleep after 30 minutes and Hibernate after 2 hours. During sleep
    the desktop is saved in RAM, but at Hibernate it writes the RAM to a file on Hard Drive and shuts down to save RAM wear.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 10, 2016
  4. M4v3r1ck Win User

Did you change your settings for both?

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Nov 10, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm usually polite but these days this is just pure Bovine Scatology.

SSD's run just fine with default settings etc -- probably will outlast your computer and in fact are more reliable than spinners now.

Just leave them on default. No defrag, no Trim, no anything else.

They work just FINE AS IS straight OOTB.

Most of the rubbish about wear and tear on SSD's is from the early days -- latest GEN SSD's have a far better MTBF than any spinner (and decent spinners too are more than adequately reliable these days).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 10, 2016
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    I have spinners but I did modify the settings as it puts less wear & tear on them. Mine are set to 5 mins & so far, no problems. I'll more-then-likely set them to 30 mins down the road.

Borg 386, Nov 10, 2016
  7. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I only have spinners as back-up RAID1 disks.

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Nov 10, 2016
  8. Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Down Your SSD Drive

Well after typing in "about:config" in an empty Tab, this is what I get. Don't know if I want void my warranty ?

storageman, Nov 10, 2016
  9. Borg 386 Win User
    FF doesn't have a "warranty." It's meant as a joke. Chrome has a similar funny warning.

Borg 386, Nov 10, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Perhaps another saying should be

"Using Windows can be Injurious to your Wealth" !!!! (We all buy stuff recommended etc etc).!!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 11, 2016
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    Borg 386, Nov 11, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Spotify seems to be much much worse:
    Spotifys desktop app writes tons of data to storage drives

Cliff S, Nov 11, 2016
  13. chummy Win User

The biggest disk writer in my Firefox is script, installing noscript just decreased the total writes from something like 2GB/h to 500MB/h. Interesting than in Microsoft Edge using script it dont write too much to disk, with script enabled in Edge it write same amount of Firefox with script disabled.

chummy, Nov 12, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    OK it's a good idea to minimize I/O wherever possible - but that's not specific to SSD's.

SSD's can actually endure far more WRITES than Spinners these days -- It's amazing how some idea that was possibly valid for some (but not all) ist gen SSD's - several years and a few development cycles ago still persists to this day.

SSD's are generally more robust and can outlast spinners these days -- some data centres are even using the large ones (too expensive currently for mere mortals like us) for reliability and service and they aren't reporting problems with switching from fast enterprise grade SCSI Spinners to SSD's.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Down Your SSD Drive - Similar Threads - Adjust Setting Before

2. Firefox usage of SSD capacity ?

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox usage of SSD capacity ?: I'm about to install Firefox on a new PC with an SSD and wondered if bookmarks or other files should be kept on a storage HDD. Did some searching & found several articles & comments about Firefox's high usage of SSD capacity. Some of the comments are a few years old and I'm...
  3. easy command to get wear percentage on an SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    easy command to get wear percentage on an SSD: [img] Get-PhysicalDisk | Get-StorageReliabilityCounter | Select Wear I have zero wear as it is new since last 2 weeks. I read that win10 in the future will be warning you if your SSD is about to kick the bucket. 169306
  4. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?: My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster because my computer is on for so many hours per day. Thank you. 162430
  5. Does disk imaging, cloning, backup or any similar activities wear down a drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does disk imaging, cloning, backup or any similar activities wear down a drive?: My systems are all windows 10, with Macrium Reflect as my main backup software. I was doing some of these tasks to make sure my data won't be lost from drive failures when it hit me. Won't these tasks themselves decrease the life of a drive since it has to do with read and...
  6. Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will SSD drives wear out faster if my PC is running all the time?: My internal (2) drives are SSD. I often leave my computer on all day and put it to sleep at night. I'm wondering if my drives will wear out faster because my computer is on for so many hours per day. Thank you. 162430
  7. Does my ssd have wear leveling

Does my ssd have wear leveling: How do I find out if my Mushkin mknssdre1tb has wear leveling? 154845
  8. Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Off Your SSD Drive.

in Browsers and Email
    Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Off Your SSD Drive.: Adjust This Setting Before Firefox Wears Off Your SSD Drive Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/adjus...#ixzz4LNsGpt3u Some fixes are available for Firefox Sergei Bobik of ServeTheHome , who discovered this issue, says there's a way to limit some of the...
  9. "windows adjust these settings to match your hardware capabilities"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "windows adjust these settings to match your hardware capabilities": I use a laptop with an extended Asus 24i monitor. I usually revert back to and from dual display when gaming. Ever since I updated windows last week (big mistake), when I toy with the display resolution or extended/dual display I get the option to "revert" or "windows...
  10. SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD Media Wear out Indicator Smart Data Question: Hi All Still getting used to having an SSD Drive, supposedly it trimmed autoly on March 9th, so that's good, now looked into Smart data in Western Digitals SSD Dashboard, and got a concern, that possibly somethings writing a lot I might be concerned over nothing, but...