Windows 10: ADK 10: Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer

Discus and support ADK 10: Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The answer is Yes - the Compact option does use less disk space, although it isn't a vast saving. Presumably the saving is made by from the apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidY, Feb 21, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

ADK 10: Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer

The answer is Yes - the Compact option does use less disk space, although it isn't a vast saving.

Presumably the saving is made by from the apps and drivers that are in the ppkg, so I guess I could also have looked in Program Files and found that is where the space is saved. (Although do I really want drivers to be run off a ppkg file...? Hmm!)

As I don't have many apps on there, the saving isn't great. But if I had a lot of apps (and I'm really testing this so I can setup a tablet which has a licence for Office 2013) then it may be more worthwhile.

Space Usage after using ICD 'Production Media' option with 'Compact' set to Yes:

ADK 10: Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer [​IMG]

Space Usage after using ICD 'Clean Install' option - which doesn't have 'Compact' as a possibility:

I also note that the 'Clean' install version puts a second .ppkg file in C:\Recovery\Customizations, called ICD_Customizations.ppkg.

I assume this second ppkg is the settings I changed within the ICD (Computer Manufacturer etc.) but it's interesting that they aren't created in the Production Media option which only leaves the big ppkg with Firefox/Drivers etc., so I guess Reset might behave differently in the two installations.

DavidY, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Mansome Win User

Nevermind I figured it out...

Mansome, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Mansome Win User
    So I have gotten the production media to work, however I dont see the difference at all with the compact OS option It still takes up about 16gbs for all my stuff. I know with wimboot on 8.1 I got it down to almost 8gb. Maybe I am missing something here?

Mansome, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

windows 8.1 used the recovery partition to store the image - thus your windows partition was smaller.

compare freespace

3GB is a 10% saving of freespace on a 32GB drive

Wimboot was only supported on drive 32GB drive or less - almost would bet Compact is too

Need min 16GB for compact using x86 and 20GB for compact using x64

5. DavidY Win User
    Apparently the way to check if compaction is switched on for the OS as a while is this command, used at an elevated command prompt:
    Code: compact /compactos:query[/quote]

DavidY, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Mansome Win User
    If you go to disk management and look at your drive and you choose the compact option its going to say Wimboot on that drive. Thats how I know its enabled. It doesnt look like much space saving compared to the original wimboot due to the recovery stuff being on the drive too. Either way I think its going to be worth it for me if I am on a solid state. Windows updates as well as office bloats up the machine pretty quickly.

Mansome, Aug 2, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    I've not been on the Forum a lot lately, but just a quick note that the ADK has been updated to go with version '1511' of Windows 10. I've not had a chance to play with it yet though.

The download link is the same as before.

DavidY, Dec 4, 2015
  8. Mansome Win User

Hi all,

I got a few questions for those who have got this working. I am trying to create the custom config.xml file that will allow me to migrate only certain apps. However when I try to do this I do not see the names of any of the apps I have installed inside the file. Whats the trick to this?

Mansome, Feb 6, 2016
  9. DavidY Win User
    Are you using something like the steps mentioned here:?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/beanexpert/a...tate-tool.aspx

I did once try this (not looked into it much recently) but the problem seemed to be that the standard 'migapp.xml' file only has a limited selection, including some really old versions of applications. For instance in the blog post they talk about Adobe Reader 9 being detected, but I reckon most people are up to at least Adobe Reader 11 by now.

I think the method would be somehow to get a better migapp.xml, but I've no idea how you'd do this.

That's assuming I'm thinking of the same problem as you though!

DavidY, Feb 7, 2016
  10. Mansome Win User
    Yes that is exactly that. I have gone in and double and triple checked my files and I don't see anything like what I am supposed to have. This makes it really hard to not migrate everything if I only want certain apps. The other big issue I have with this is that any provisioning packages I made with scanstate are not usable unless its imported into the WICD tool. I remember all this talk about using the packages right when Windows was installed, you are supposed to hit the Windows key 5 times or double click the package its supposed to do whatever provisioning is there. However it always fails and says its corrupted. Now if I create a package that is only using the WICD tool with no 3rd party apps but only settings it lets me install these just fine.

Mansome, Feb 7, 2016
  11. DavidY Win User
    I'm afraid I don't know the answer then - it must be possible to edit the migapp.xml but I don't know how you find out what to put into it.
    My guess is that there are some provisioning packages (like changing a setting, and probably installing a Universal App) which can be installed at runtime, but I think the 'Desktop' apps can only be installed at install-time. I don't know any of this for sure though.

I did read somewhere that to apply within Windows, the ppkg file has to be in the root directory of the USB or whatever you're using to install it. I don't know if that makes a difference?

I think you can also use DISM to apply a provisioning package to an offline image.

DavidY, Feb 7, 2016
  12. xbliss Win User
    The online website Answer file generator has lot of bugs for latest 1511 release.. Wish there was a simpler template we could just generate without heavy MS tools.

PS: I need to deploy some Native Boot VHDs with Unattend answer file.. where should I keep/ insert the file in/ outside of VHD?

xbliss, Jul 25, 2016
  13. DavidY Win User

I get the impression the next version of the ADK, to go with the 1607 release, may have some improvements - maybe the ICD will get better?
    I think the ICD is the tool they're most likely to improve.
    I don't know to be honest; it might be worth asking over on the Hyper-V Native Boot tutorial.

DavidY, Jul 26, 2016
  14. DavidY Win User
    New version 1607 ADK is now available for download, at the link which previously pointed to 1511.
    From here:

and, the 1511 version is still available:
    Not tried it yet though.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. ADK 10: Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer - Similar Threads - ADK Imaging Configuration

2. Windows Configuration Designer Laptop categorization

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Configuration Designer Laptop categorization: Hello,I am beginning to use the Windows Configuration Designer in order to create PPKGs, and I wanted to clarify:When creating a PPKG for a laptop, should I be using the Windows mobile devices option, or the Windows desktop devices option?Any help will be appreciated, thank...
  3. Windows Configuration Designer Laptop categorization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Configuration Designer Laptop categorization: Hello,I am beginning to use the Windows Configuration Designer in order to create PPKGs, and I wanted to clarify:When creating a PPKG for a laptop, should I be using the Windows mobile devices option, or the Windows desktop devices option?Any help will be appreciated, thank...
  4. Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer issues: I hope someone on here can help with my issues.I'm trying to deploy a bunch of machines using the WICD tool. However, whenever I attempt to deploy using the option to remove pre-installed software, the deployment will not install any of the executables I'm trying to install....
  5. Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer issues: I hope someone on here can help with my issues.I'm trying to deploy a bunch of machines using the WICD tool. However, whenever I attempt to deploy using the option to remove pre-installed software, the deployment will not install any of the executables I'm trying to install....
  6. Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 ADK

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 ADK: The Windows assessment and deployment kit Windows ADK In your opinion would this be worth Downloading and Installing ? Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-adk/03b2d4b4-dda5-47d6-b8ef-3624b3357f4c
  8. Windows Configuration Designer and Kiosk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Configuration Designer and Kiosk: I create a provisioning package using the Kiosk icon in WCD. The following parameters are what I specified Set up device - disabled, the computer is already named Set up Network - disabled, wired network not wifi Account Management - disabled Add applications - none...
  9. ADK on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADK on Windows 10: I'm running Win 10 Home on a 64-bit HP system. Have just seen adksetup.exe in my Downloads folder. Why is it there? What is it for? Do I need it? If so, why? If not, can I just delete or shred it? Thanks in advance....
  10. Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Configure Win 7 using AIK/ADK on WIn 10?: Working on several projects at one time, and using primarily laptops with not that great support for virtualization, so I am loathe to install a basic Win 7 in virt jsut to be able to use hte Win 7 AIK. In a past tutorial, Kari mentioned that the AIK / ADK used to modify...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. imaging and configuration designer-x86_en-us.msi

2. tuto windows configuration désigner kiosk

3. windows imaging and configuration designer

4. dism ppkg timeout wicd