Windows 10: Admin user directory truncated name!!

Discus and support Admin user directory truncated name!! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've got my Win10 user account info displayed, it's an admin account and there is my outlook email account attached. When I drill down to my user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gusgf, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Gusgf Win User

Admin user directory truncated name!!

I've got my Win10 user account info displayed, it's an admin account and there is my outlook email account attached. When I drill down to my user directory in file explorer under users the directory name is my first name truncated. So for example if the admin account was called Simon Murphy the user directory name is "Simo". I only noticed this after reinstalling Windows several weeks ago.

I've no idea how this happened but it looks stupid and I'd like to correct this so I'm wondering how do I go about this.

:)

Gusgf, Apr 16, 2017

2. Undo restore win7 on win10

I recently used the win7 restore option on win 10 to restore backed up files on my old win7 computer.

I chose the restore to a new file option. Win 10 created the new file using a odd directory structure: A truncated user name followed by several directories then finally the new file name with the backed up files

I have located the new file now. After copying and pasting to my desired folders can I just safely delete the truncated user name and directory structure. Win 10 also created a the new directory name on my desktop. Can I safely delete that too

arthurjutan, Apr 16, 2017
  3. User folder name truncated

This is a most frustrating issue. I have completed several dozen Windows 10 clean installations and every time in the User directory my users-name directory name is truncated to 5 letters.

It is interesting that with all sorts of techie issues outstanding in the teething years of Windows 10 this particular one brings out the worst in me and I think particularly nasty thoughts about Microsoft.

Beware - Microsoft - this particular bug is a personal swipe at your users. Yes - for better or worse we are now allowed to identify our own gender, ethnicity, political stance - but our names - now that's Microsoft's business. Get real - sort this out please.

bothybrowser, Apr 16, 2017
  4. Admin user directory truncated name!!

You've got my attention. When I set up Gayle's laptop using her first & last name, the user folder got truncated to "Sharo" only. No idea what went on, but have just lived with it.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 16, 2017
  5. Gusgf Win User
    Yes it's weird as it's got my full name for the account correct. Glad it's not just me, don't mean that in a bad way *Biggrin BTW.

But I have to admit that it's now gotten to me being the fussy git I am *Sick So if it can be sorted I'd love to as it's annoying to see my good name being mistreated!!

Gusgf, Apr 16, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    This is normal behaviour if when setting up for the first time you set up as a Microsoft account. It's always uses a shortened version of the email address that's used. It doesn't affect the running of the account in any way, so you could just leave it as it is. There is no way to rename a user folder after an account has been created.

If you want the account name and user folder names to match, then when creating the account you must first set it up as a local account. You can then make that a Microsoft account.

7. Bree New Member
    You can't - but you can create a new local account in the name you want, transfer the files/documents across, make the old account a local one then make the new one the MS account. Very Important: make the new account an administrator! (if you delete the old one without doing that you won't be able to set up your PC any more.)

8. Admin user directory truncated name!!

Thanks Bree. I convinced myself that it's best left alone.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 16, 2017
  9. Gusgf Win User
    Thank you great to know this and I may give it a go *Smile

Gusgf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Admin user directory truncated name!!

1. Admin user directory truncated name!! - Similar Threads - Admin user directory

2. Truncated user name Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Truncated user name Windows 11: I know this issue has been addressed previously and nothing seems to not work right or is too difficult to understand.Because I entered my outlook email address when I installed Win 11 it truncated my name which makes it ogpis. 1. I created a local account Steven T with admin...
  3. Truncated user name Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Truncated user name Windows 11: I know this issue has been addressed previously and nothing seems to not work right or is too difficult to understand.Because I entered my outlook email address when I installed Win 11 it truncated my name which makes it ogpis. 1. I created a local account Steven T with admin...
  4. ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD: Please help Me with this, i cant access some downloads and changes. it will always direct me into this.USER ACCOUNT CONTROLDo you want to allow this app to make changes to your device ?USER ACCOUNTS CONTROL PANELVerified publisher: Microsoft WindowsCLSID:...
  5. ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ADMIN USER NAME AND PASSWORD: Please help Me with this, i cant access some downloads and changes. it will always direct me into this.USER ACCOUNT CONTROLDo you want to allow this app to make changes to your device ?USER ACCOUNTS CONTROL PANELVerified publisher: Microsoft WindowsCLSID:...
  6. User Name Truncated

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Name Truncated: I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 loaded. I signed in with my email address *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. My folder is now called \user\itsmy and, truncated, it's really odd and annoying to see it truncated down to 5 characters. I am seeing some...
  7. change admin user name

change admin user name: how do i change my admin user name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-admin-user-name/885ba043-3624-4cd3-a6ce-ca4611f14424
  8. User name got truncated

User name got truncated: When I was setting up my new Win 10 computer I was asked to enter my user name. Supposed to be campingshadow. But when I was entering it I got as far as campi and accidentally hit the enter key. Now my user name is set as campi. HOW do I fix this? When I go in and try to...
  9. admin user name and password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    admin user name and password: For my new Epson printer installation I need the admin user name and password. Where is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-user-name-and-password/9ba56dfd-a552-4441-80f5-d36eebcd60c4"
  10. Admin Directory Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin Directory Name Change: I'm using Windows 10 Home edition. I have two folders in the Windows/Users directory: "Public" and "WARNE". I want to change the name of the "WARNE" folder... I'm having no luck finding out how to do this... Please help... Thanks!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 user directory truncated or not