Windows 10: Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

Discus and support Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram. I've had a couple of unexpected... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by HowardWoodard, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

I'm running 64-bit Windows Pro on an Asus P5Q-EM MB with an Intel E8600 processor with 8 GB of PC2-6400 Ram.

I've had a couple of unexpected shutdowns and restarts lately. I've got several different error types in my event log. The only one showing to be "critical" is the Kernal Power one that simply says it has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

I decided to just start eliminating he errors one by one to see if I could find/resolve the cause. The one I started with was several DistributedCom 10016 "The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID xx..."

I found the CLSID in the registry and noted that the owner was TrustedInstaller. I changed it to the Admin user, checked the include child, subfolder, inheritance, etc. boxes and hit apply. It gave me an error saying that it could not save the changes but I noted that it had in fact changed the owner. After getting out of permissions and then re-entering I attempted to change the Admin user/owner's permission to Full Control.

It will not change. It gives me an error saying that it cannot save the changes. I've always been able to solve registry access issues in the past simply by taking ownership. Why not this time?

Anybody know why a registry key owner would not be able to make permission changes?

Thanks in advance,

Howard
    =====================================================================================
    Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date: 6/26/2016 10:34:23 AM
    Event ID: 10016
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: P5Q-EM\wooda
    Computer: P5Q-EM
    Description:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
    and APPID
    {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
    to the user P5Q-EM\wooda SID (S-1-5-21-4244340960-2181271989-1333400844-1010) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-4016783169-893401051-2237370320-274899566-412088533-2398988950-2155762795). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-06-26T17:34:23.628753000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5970</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="924" ThreadID="8332" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>P5Q-EM</Computer>

:)

HowardWoodard, Jun 25, 2016
  2. Nigel_H Win User

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

Hi

a) Locate the App ID in the Registry (regedit)

b) Change the owner of the Key in Permissions > Advanced > Change Owner from TrustedInstaller to Administrators (That lets local Administrators own the key)

c) Add Administrators to be allowed to Change Values

d) You need to check after reselecting the key that the permissions are what you want for the user you are attempting to alter in Component Services - if not add or amend the user in the Registry on the key

e) Then launch Component Services

f) Then select the Item and change what you are wanting to do

g) You should now go back to the Registry Key and change the owner back to TrustedInstaller - thats NT Service\TrustedInstaller

Nigel

Nigel_H, Jun 25, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    A ghost in my PC is turning my filter keys on at the settings options, while I'm not watching... I have video proof...

To make Registry Key editable again:

• Right-click on the entry and select "Permissions"→"Advanced"→"Owner".
    • Change "SYSTEM" to "Administrator"

DaveM121, Jun 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions...

Microsoft did that to protect the OS from the end user. Windows 10 was built on security to make sure that the end user is protected by their own bad habits.

bro67, Jun 26, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Unexpected shutdown are likely caused by hardware issues, not incorrect registry settings. But I doubt they were incorrect anyway.

LMiller7, Jun 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    See the part where they changed ownership from "Trusted Installer" to Admin, which caused the error.

bro67, Jun 26, 2016
  7. Ha ha. You're probably right about that but it doesn't answer anything.

It shows up as an error. It says that the error is incorrect permissions. It then says "This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool".

It allows me to take ownership but it doesn't allow me to change permissions. I'm wondering if it has something to do with me being logged with my Microsoft account instead of the local administrator account. I'll give that a try.

HowardWoodard, Jun 26, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

It does answer why you are not allowed to over ride the "Trusted Installer" Permission.

Windows 10 was built on a very secure platform and coded to protect users from their bad habits.

The reason for certain folders and files cannot be changed from Trusted Installer, is once again to protect the OS from bad things and bad user habits.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Also the Live Account is what is called a "Roaming Profile". Thr Local Account is exactly that.

bro67, Jun 27, 2016
  10. Nope. Logging on as the local administrator allowed me to make all the permission changes required to eliminate the error. Not sure why you think the Windows 10 folks would have wanted to disallow these changes -- especially after the ownership was changed.

Nevertheless, permissions changed and errors gone.

Thanks for your time and help.

Howard

HowardWoodard, Jun 27, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    Again you are not an Administrator. You are just a profile on the account with semi-elevated privileges. As for the permission changes from "Trusted Installer" to something else, it will not happen, even if all of the moons and planets align at the same moment. Microsoft made sure with Windows 10, that the user is protected from their bad habits and that it is harder for malware to try and take control of the OS.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Administrator can change owner of registry key but not permissions... - Similar Threads - Administrator change owner

2. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  3. Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Change Permission to Full Control on Registry Keys: I need to edit a registry key but before I do so, I need to be granted full control of the key. I am getting an error message when I try to do this. I am already listed as the owner of the key. I have tried changing both my administrator account as well as my use account to...
  4. Change PC Owner/Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change PC Owner/Administrator: Hi Guys -Hoping someone could provide a little guidance/help.I got a new Windows laptop so I am giving my Mom my old one. My email address is currently the primary administrator on this laptop. I want to remove my Windows account completely from the old laptop aka I want...
  5. Change from owner to administrator

Change from owner to administrator: I apparently made a big boo boo on my new computer. I'm the only user, and I saw that in the account settings I could set myself as the 'owner'. Which made sense since I'm the only one using it and I bought it. However, that seems to have revoked my role as...
  6. check the permission of a registry key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    check the permission of a registry key: how to view the permissions of a registry key using CMD ? submitted by /u/oneto221 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lwv51c/check_the_permission_of_a_registry_key/
  7. Change registered owner and administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change registered owner and administrator: How do I change my registered owner name? And, administrator name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-registered-owner-and-administrator/4e9a905f-f5dc-42af-b829-b50e3d6d978e
  8. File access and permissions Owner, Administrator, Users etc.

File access and permissions Owner, Administrator, Users etc.: Under a fille group named "Documents" I have folders like Bank/Old Credit Union, new bank/new Credit Union CULC I took a screen capture and wanted to cut/paste from where it is now (Desktop) and put it in the subfolder "new Credit Union" after notice ="you will have to...
  9. Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry

Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry: Hello, the question is according to Windows 10 x64. I was trying to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection and uninstaller shows an error - access denied to registry. I was trying to change permission manually in registry with Admin account, but no luck. Still error -...
  10. Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10: How to: Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 How to Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 An permissions. The owner of an object (ex: file, folder, drive, or registry key) has the right to allow or deny...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. powershell registry set ownership