Windows 10: Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

Discus and support Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anybody know where "advanced sizing of text and other items" from display settings is gone ? I cannot find it anywhere and I need Windows to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by l33twannabe, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

Does anybody know where "advanced sizing of text and other items" from display settings is gone ? I cannot find it anywhere and I need Windows to have bigger fonts (and I don't want to scale everything, just the size of the text). If it's completely gone with Creators Update, which by the way would be a very dumb move, then is there any other way to make those changes ? I need to change all those settings from 9pt to 10pt. Perhaps some registry hack or something ?

Thanks in advance.

:)

l33twannabe, Apr 4, 2017
  2. freebie3 Win User

Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

SOLVED!!

A. User gave the correct solution above--worked for me:

1. Type msconfig in the lower left window.

2. Clik on boot and then clik Safe Boot. Restart.

3. Right clik desktop --> Display Settings and then at the very bottom clik "Advance Sizing of text and other items".

4. Voila! I could now adjust the size of the fonts (I set mine to 12 for all options), and they remained increased after I rebooted with normal settings.

NOTE!! I could not type in msconfig again to undo safe boot: right clik on the windows icon in the very bottom left, select command prompt (admin) and then type in msconfig. As before select Boot and uncheck Safe Boot. Reboot and you got it, Pontiac...

freebie3, Apr 4, 2017
  3. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

Hi,

The “Change only the text size” option was turned off in Windows 10 Creators Update. Unfortunately, the setting was not supported throughout the entire system. For example, it didn’t work with the Start menu, Cortana, Edge and some
    applications.

For an alternative method of changing your text size, you can use the Scale and layout options within Settings > Display. Use the dropdown under “Change the
    size of text, apps, and other items” to make things bigger or smaller.

If you’d prefer your text, apps, and other items to be even bigger or smaller, click the Custom scaling feature to go outside the ranges that Windows recommends for your hardware’s screen
    size and resolution.

If the text looks fuzzy or blurry when you use custom scaling, this might happen if the custom size is not set to a 25% increment. For example, if your custom scaling is set to 157%, try changing it to 150% or 175%.

Note: Microsoft recommends keeping your display resolution set to the “recommended” value. If you use custom scaling to go outside the
    range that Windows recommends, some text, apps, and other items may become unreadable. If you’re not able to read the screen well enough to restore your display settings, try starting Narrator by pressing the Windows logo key + Ctrl+ Enter. Then press Tab
    to navigate through the interface until you find the right option for restoring your display settings.

You can find more information at Making
    Windows easier to see.

Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

Gerald Vit, Apr 4, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello 133twannabe, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You can still manually change all of those using the .reg files from the tutorials below except for "palette titles" in Windows 10 Creators Update. "Palette titles" are no longer available.

Brink, Apr 5, 2017
  5. I've created an account here to let you know these reg edits did not work for me at all. My text is still microscopic after running them and restarting my PC

stevew5883, Apr 5, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Steve, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

They do work, so there must be something else going on with your system.

Is your small text for the items that the tutorials are for?

You might check your DPI scaling and screen resolution settings to see if they could be the issue.

The higher the DPI, the larger everything will appear.

Change DPI Scaling Level for Displays in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Change Screen Resolution of Display in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Apr 5, 2017
  7. Nope, I'm on Windows 10 home and they don't work. I've downloaded a zip file which will allow me acces to gpedit.msc and have copy and pasted a bunch of folders and files into group policy editor to allow me to make changes to registry. Still a work in progress. Microsoft has really proven themselves incompetent. My text is microscopic on my HDTV and my DPI is at 150

stevew5883, Apr 5, 2017
  8. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

so after all the group policy edits and enabling registry editing, still not working. Gonna do a system restore now and try to figure out a way to uninstall this creators update

stevew5883, Apr 5, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    This seems like another dumb move to remove options for display configuration.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2017
  10. The registry files actually did work. I was used to selecting 11pt when I had the options, now I had to download 18pt reg edits. Sorry guys.

Still seems like such a incompetent decision from Microsoft to require unsupported registry edits just to change font size. Feel bad for all the causal users who can't see their screens on 4/11

stevew5883, Apr 5, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No problem Steve. I'm happy to hear that they are working for you.

The .reg files make the same changes as the removed settings do, but yeah it would be nice to have these settings back in a UI. Perhaps in Settings -> Personalize somewhere.

Brink, Apr 5, 2017
  12. mart44 Win User
    Thanks for asking the question l33twannabe and Brink for answering the question. I installed the Creators Update last night and was struggling with the small icon text (1920x1080 monitor). The reg file worked for me. Icon text size is now 11.

Thanks again. *Smile

mart44, Apr 5, 2017
  13. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?!

It does the job via registry fix, but why on earth Microsoft removed it from the settings - really don't get it.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it will be helpful to a lot of people !

l33twannabe, Apr 5, 2017
  14. undine Win User
    Thanks very much Brink. Worked fine for me.

undine, Apr 9, 2017
  15. Bob H Win User
    As my dad used to say to my mom - "You're a g**d*** jewel!" I was gobsmacked to see that MS had dropped these font settings from the Creators update; I have used them for decades to deal with my visual impairment, as they offered much finer control than Windows Accessibility Options. The reg edits worked perfectly. Thank you very much!

Bob H, Apr 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Advanced sizing of text ... gone with Creators Update ?! - Similar Threads - Advanced sizing text

2. Text Size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text Size: I just updated to windows 2004 and it changed the text size under my displayed shortcuts. How do I change the text size? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-size/71b48c43-aaf8-4b83-ad3a-87c6d6a6557f
  3. ICON text size etc after Creator update

ICON text size etc after Creator update: How to I change various text sizes and make bold in the new update? Used to be in Display Prop. but I can not find it now. 81895
  4. Text Size Since Creators Update

Text Size Since Creators Update: Since the creators update my text size and browser icons are back to small size. I can't find the old display settings where you can adjust text size, bold, etc and icon size. DPI settings change the text size but also adjust the icons which are already the correct size....
  5. Security Updates in advance of Creator glitch

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Security Updates in advance of Creator glitch: I sent the following to :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/ " I cannot complete the mandatory security settings update required for the Creator update. That is because I am visually impaired and operate my computer monitor in portrait setting and Windows 10...
  6. windows creator update gone wrong

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows creator update gone wrong: Hi there, my machine just tried to install the update to windows 10 creator, the update seemed to go ok but when the update was done and the machine re started all went well right up to the login page entered my password and then the screen went blank, started up task manager...
  7. "Advanced sizing of text…" does not work.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Advanced sizing of text…" does not work.: Hello, Trying to change the text size - and I was able to, to 24 across the board, under "advanced sizing of text and other items". Now when I try to change it again, to make it smaller, 24 is too large, the only thing that happens is the task bar and Windows desktop does...
  8. Creators Update - Missing Advanced Display Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators Update - Missing Advanced Display Properties: OK, now with Creators Update becoming available, has anyone figured out how to get to the advanced display settings? 81293
  9. Change Desktop Icon Text Size under Fall Creator Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Desktop Icon Text Size under Fall Creator Edition: Under 1703 I had the Desktop Icon text set to something slightly larger or bolder than the default 'out of box' font. . When I installed 1709 the fonts reverted to the default. My tired old eyes need something bigger and/or bolder but I don't remember how I did it earlier and...
  10. Blurry text since Creators Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry text since Creators Update.: I tried every fix out there nothing works that googling says. Nothing works. The issue I am having is that certain fonts and this affects all programs are blurry. Even MS own built in programs. The issue is the Segoe UI font. Example if I change the font to a program to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advanced sizing text

2. advanced sizing of text gone

3. “Advanced sizing of text and other items.”

4. ADVANCED SIZING,
  5. advanced sizing of text and other items gone,
  6. advanced sizing of text and other items,
  7. advanced sizing of text in settings,
  8. advanced sizing of text