Windows 10: Advice on Choosing a new HDD

Discus and support Advice on Choosing a new HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there people! I'm beggining my hunt for a new HDD for my recent laptop, the toshiba it currently has is good, but sometimes hurts performance (8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FerchogtX, Sep 5, 2017.

1. FerchogtX Win User

Advice on Choosing a new HDD

Hi there people!

I'm beggining my hunt for a new HDD for my recent laptop, the toshiba it currently has is good, but sometimes hurts performance (8 MB cache and 5400 RPM), specially when processing big files on Clip Studio or Photoshop, so I decided that, since my warranty is about to expire, is a good time to start looking to good alternatives.

I've read that the most important thing in a HDD is the spinning speed and the cache... I would look for an SSD, but I need a great capacity (currently on 1 TB and I feel good) and SSD's are still quite expensive (and I'm still worried about the that reading/writte cycles limitation they might have). So my alternative is to look for a 7200 RPM spinner...

Now, I'm having a hard time deciding for a good HDD, I could probably sacrifice spinning speed if the cache is the thing that will improve performance...

Say, I got this Toshiba, 5400 RPM, 8 MB Buffer, and I see a Seagate Barracuda, 5400 RPM, but has 128 MB Buffer (O_O), or I see a Western Digital Black, 7200 RPM, but 64 MB Buffer.

In this scenario, which of the 3 disks will have better performance? I sometimes play games (N64 stuff, nothing big), and use Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint EX, to constantly save and export files (PNG's and TIF's), and of course, I move files and use my Windows 7 64 Bit Virtual Machine from time to time.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Cya!! *Biggrin

:)

FerchogtX, Sep 5, 2017

2. Choosing a new mobile

i must say again some people may have issues not all these issues would be in the minority you never see good press much in here at all so dont let some peoples issues affect your decision again i would suggest the E 5 to you from PERSONALL point of view
    also it been a smartphone there is more to offer with this than the C3 which is a budget phone

techbuzzireland, Sep 5, 2017
  3. JRHUK Win User
    Choosing a new mobile

I have been through the C3/WIFI thread again and there are still people posting that they have WIFI problems with this phone..so clearly it is not solved. So , to return to my original question, with the C3 now out of the frame, what options
    meet my requirements?

JRHUK, Sep 5, 2017
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Hello Frego mate I prefer Seagate if I use spinners and you definitely want a 7200rpm one or even a hybrid and as I don't know what your budget is I cannot say which but a hybrid would be my first choice and then 7200rpm.

My self I do not like large drives too much to lose if thye go south I would sooner use more smaller ones than one large.

Anyway have a look at this http://www.seagate.com/au/en/solutio...-state-hybrid/

ICIT2LOL, Sep 5, 2017
  5. bobkn Win User
    A quick look at newegg.com shows a number of 1TB hybrids. They all seem to be 5400 RPM, though, including the Seagate FireCuda.

I'd suggest a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD1000CHTZ, 10k RPM), but it's 15 mm thick, and I'm unsure whether it'd fit in the laptop. (The Toshiba is 9.5 mm thick.) A 1TB version is surprisingly inexpensive; maybe no one wants Velociraptors any more, as SSDs are available.

bobkn, Sep 5, 2017
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep I know Bob and I am really ticked off that they still insist on using slow spinners but at least the hybrid will fire up a tad quicker. I set up one on an old Toshiba with someone I worked with and it seemed ok but she was not that careful in how she used the thing really but at least it booted faster.

It is a pity the machine is not a dual drive machine like the one I am on now and a small SSD for the OS and the spinner for the data would be great. Plus if the machine were not to be carried around I suppose an external spinner would just as handy.

ICIT2LOL, Sep 5, 2017
  7. FerchogtX Win User
    As much as I would love to get a Seagate, seems all their 2.5 drives for laptops are 5400 spinners, so that means goodbye to seagate unless I'm able to find a model that is a 7200 RPM spinner with 1TB space (I use VM's, so I need more tha 500 GB of space to feel safe and give enough space to windows to update and run)

Unfortunately, that Velociraptor model seems too thick for this laptop (Aspire E5-553), I'll see if I have some luck hunting for a good fast spinner in Mexico. Still, thank you for clarifying me my doubt about the spin speed and the buffer *Biggrin

Cya!

FerchogtX, Sep 6, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Did you see this lot Ferchogt mate some are up to 10000rpm!! Desktop Internal Hard Drives, Hard Drives, Components - Newegg.com 50001305 600003269 600003490

ICIT2LOL, Sep 6, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    You wont see much of a performance gain between the Toshiba, 5400 RPM, 8 MB Buffer and the Seagate Barracuda, 5400 RPM, but has 128 MB Buffer. You need to be looking at 7200RPM drives maximum.

swarfega, Sep 6, 2017
  10. I have no experience with laptop drives, but for standard desktop drives it can be quite important to get a recent model rather than a model from 2 or 3 years earlier.

The speed tests I have run on desktop drives typically show that a 5400 rpm drive from say 2014 is faster than a 7200 rpm drive from say 2011.

I'd guess that laptop drives differ in the same way, but it's up to you to find online speed tests for any prospective purchase, making sure the test is for the exact same make and model number under consideration. Be very careful about the model number.

As for brands, there is too much randomness and too many unknowable factors to steer you toward any particular brand, unless you can find online reports that particular model numbers have a clearly unusual failure rate. Normally, I'd expect to find horror stories about any of them.

I'd probably consider return privileges with the vendor, customer service reputation, and warranty as seriously as any other factor. The last I heard, some of the major manufacturers have a totally pathetic customer service reputation. If you are lucky, you'll never need to contact them. If you are not lucky, prepare to rend your own flesh.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 6, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    @ignatzatsonic You are correct, a company's support reputation and the length of their warranties are important factors to consider as well.

swarfega, Sep 6, 2017
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes well I don't claim to be any expert on that matter but having a bit more of a thought about the subject and looking at ignat's reply gave me an idea too that perhaps it is not the actual platter speed so much as how much technology has advanced on drive controllers and the enhanced actuating read/write arms speed at what they function at now, and we also have to take in the increase in total cache levels too. Unless I am terribly wrong and do stand to be corrected then in all probability a 5400rpm drive is going to be way ahead of the old ones we used to use or why else would they still produce them because that would not make economic sense if nothing else.

I am hypothetically assuming here that even though the platter is only spinning at 5400rpm it doesn't necessarily follow that the improved controller circuitry or even the actuating arms are slow. Plus we now have software systems that keep drives up to scratch as it were.

Having said that I am still an SSD user myself but if I were to use a spinner then maybe some of the tings I have outlined might influence me to use one.

ICIT2LOL, Sep 6, 2017
  13. bobkn Win User

Yes. Drives with the same rotation rates have the same rotational latency. Drives with few platters (higher data density) have higher continuous data transfer rates. (Newer drives tend to use fewer platters.)

As a compromise for the OP, I suggest a 500GB SSD. I don't know about Mexico, but in the US they have become reasonably priced. I stuck one in my Lenovo laptop, and it flies.

bobkn, Sep 6, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    Do you have an optical drive in laptop?

If so, you can replace that with a hard drive enclosure holding (say) a 1 TB drive, and put ssd in main drive slot.

You can put the optical drive in an external usb caddy.

This way, you get best of all worlds.

You really do not need to worry about read write cycles anymore. SSDs outlast HDDS these days.

cereberus, Sep 6, 2017
  15. Porthos Win User
    If I were getting one for a client it would be a SSD or a WD black with the 5yr warrenty. I would also consider the 512 SSD like was mentioned.

Porthos, Sep 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Advice on Choosing a new HDD - Similar Threads - Advice Choosing HDD

2. New HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New HDD: Hi, My existing HDD is unusable, so am considering buying a new HDD & putting windows 10 pro on it using a ISO copy i have on a CD, but will i need to format the new HDD first i will it all get done during the install process?Mike...
  3. My HDD keeps disappearing, any advice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My HDD keeps disappearing, any advice?: Help is greatly appreciated my HDD keeps disappearing but my SSD is showing. I have checked bios and its showing there OK really confused submitted by /u/Cully_83 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghrba9/my_hdd_keeps_disappearing_any_advice/
  4. Help choosing a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help choosing a secondary HDD: I have a Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB SATA (love this thing) as a boot drive and a 1TB Toshiba HDD for storage and every thing else. I need a bigger secondary HDD. Is there an advantage to a hybrid drive like the Seagate FireCuda as a secondary drive? Any suggestions? Thanks in...
  5. New to 10 advice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New to 10 advice?: hi guys , well i finally got windows 10 after buying a computer from an individual. it does seem not to be a legit copy i cant seem to activate it.the computer itself is pretty powerful but im having problems running some flash type games on webpages. very chopy slow and...
  6. New Laptop Buying Advice

in Windows 10 Support
    New Laptop Buying Advice: Wondering if anyone could offer some advice please. I am looking at buying a new laptop as my current HP is on it's last legs. With the Black Friday deals, now seems to be a good time. I have found two deals that seem to me to be fairly good but am not sure which is the best...
  7. Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...: I've just bought a new laptop that has both an SSD (256 Gb) and an HDD (1Tb). The first thing I did was to set up my internet connection, and I then installed all my old programs. I now want to upload all of my data (documents, music, videos, photos etc.) that I have saved...
  8. New memory advice needed

New memory advice needed: Since I'm going to install a new SSD in my lappy, I want to increase the memory also. I want to install 16GB, it has two slots. One has 8GB in it now. I looked on Crucial and there are four choices for 16GB kits. Which would be the best choice ?...
  9. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  10. Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS)

Advice on setting up a new HDD for data (not OS): Hey all, Purchased a WD Black 2 TB HDD today to replace my old drive. This drive is not for my OS but is used for data - photo's music, my documents, downloaded program installers etc and for system backups. I also run 2 SSD's - one 500GB for the OS and programs and one...