Windows 10: Advice on moving from local to cloud-based e-mail, contacts, calendars

Discus and support Advice on moving from local to cloud-based e-mail, contacts, calendars in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm currently on a Win 7 desktop. In a week or two I'll be upgrading to a Win 10 desktop. I also regularly use an iPhone and iPad. When I travel, I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Involute, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Involute Win User

Advice on moving from local to cloud-based e-mail, contacts, calendars

I'm currently on a Win 7 desktop. In a week or two I'll be upgrading to a Win 10 desktop. I also regularly use an iPhone and iPad. When I travel, I use a laptop that duplicates my desktop environment; I use SyncToy to maintain the file system. I use Outlook for POP3 e-mail, contacts, calendars, and notes. SyncToy copies the .pst back and forth between the desktop and laptop, and iTunes does an increasingly poor job of maintaining calendar and contacts integrity between Windows and iOS.

I'm going to use the Win 10 upgrade as an excuse to improve this situation, and I'm seeking advice on the best way to do it. It seems like creating a Google G Suite or Exchange Server account somewhere are the main options. Pros and cons? Other options? What are the offline experiences of both (e.g. how do you access G Suite contacts and calendars when offline?)? Thanks for input.

:)

Involute, Mar 4, 2017

2. How do I create a "local" calendar in Windows 10?

I do not use "the cloud" or "sync" to any external devices or services. I have my user ID set up as a "local" user and want to set up a calendar. However, when I launch the Windows 10 calendar and select "Add Account" it asks for e-mail account info.

How do I create a "local" calendar in Windows 10?

StanCollinsTX, Mar 4, 2017
  3. I have an LG Quantum Windows Phone and I need to know what to do to be able to sync my phone contacts (people) onto my PC.

It is unfortunate that many folks charged with selling the phones know little about them. E-mail, contacts and calendar are based on syncing with cloud services, such as Windows Live (hotmail), Google (gmail), etc. The good news is that if you are using
    such services, setting up the phone is a breeze, the bad news is that it may be a challenge if you are not. You are also in good shape if you are supported by an Exchange Server. I mention that based on your mention of work.

In any case, to get all your contacts onto the phone, you get into settings, open e-mail and accounts and set up an account. If you use Hotmail, you use your hotmail account, and all your contacts will sync, as well as calendar items associated with that
    account. Same goes for Google and Exchange. Any items entered on the phone will be reflected back into the service.

What are all your contacts on the PC in now?

Sven Johannsen, Mar 4, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Google makes it very simple Gmail can collect email from other services or you can use Gmail it's self I use Thunderbird and that downloads Gmail to the PC for offline use, Google drive syncs files to any PC I use or I can use any device to access files which sync back when online

Samuria, Mar 4, 2017
  5. Involute Win User
    Thanks, Samuria. How do you access contacts and calendars when offline? How are they synced on PCs and iPhones?

Involute, Mar 4, 2017
  6. telepro21 Win User
    Hello Involute-

Over the years, I have used Google Gmail and I have used Thunderbird and I have used MS Outlook, too. For the longest time I used Gmail. For my desktop, I used Thunderbird as my email client pulling email from several accounts. I really liked Thunderbird. In my work life, I have used Outlook forever.

As my personal needs began to expand with a need for a common platform for Contacts and Calendaring and Email, especially between family and friends, I settled on Outlook and have a personal subscription to MS Office 365. I have used this platform for three years now and do not see this changing.

Here's why: I have installed Outlook on all of my devices: PC, Laptop, iPhone 6s, Android LG G5 and my Amazon Fire HDX. I get email, contacts and calendaring in Outlook everywhere. The Outlook app is easy, intuitive and sleek.

My two cents, anyway.
    *Smile

telepro21, Mar 4, 2017
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I have OUTLOOK in office 2016 -- I still can't find any email client that is as convenient to use as Outlook.

If you set the mail server(s) up as IMAP rather than POP3 you don't need to use any specific cloud hosting services and you can still use gmail with outlook if you need to.

Seems to be no trouble in keeping emails in sync across computers and mobile devices and for offline use you can simply copy mail from the imap folder(s) to local outlook ones.

I usually LOATHE webmail type of clients --slow and often riddled with ads. Outlook simple, fast and you can have as many accounts as you have mail servers both for receive and send.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

I agree totally with this. If you can use IMAP not POP everything will be so much simpler. Gmail, Outlook.com and almost every email provider does IMAP these days. For the last decade anyway *Wink

Outlook is a excellent client - I use it - my only complaint is it doesn't do a consolidated inbox on Windows (or if it does I don't know how).

I use Outlook on Android and it works fine with gmail, work and MS accounts. It is better than the Windows version in some ways. I don't know how good the iPhone app is but it definitely exists Set up email in Outlook for iOS mobile app - Office Support

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there @lx07

It's not quite "True" consolidation but say you have 3 email servers / accounts in Outlook the easiest solution is for email accounts 2 and 3 to be relayed to account 1's inbox. You probably need to set the email servers settings to do the relay -- I have accounts in UK , Belgium and Iceland and relay the UK and Belgian accounts to my primary one in Iceland -- no probs whatsoever. Outlook is still by far IMO the best and most flexible email client out there for handling multiple accounts.

For SENDING there's not a problem since when sending from outlook you can select which account to use of course.

Remember also if you use this method to eventually clear the inboxes of accounts 2 and 3 or set the server to automatically archive / delete after so many days.

The Android version is fine too -- much the best email client out there -- and I've tried loads in my time.

However what would be nice for people who haven't got access to Office 365 / Office 2007/2010/2016 would be for Ms to bring back Outlook Express again - it was a really brilliant simple email program which was included with Windows XP / W2K3 server and earlier.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Advice on moving from local to cloud-based e-mail, contacts, calendars - Similar Threads - Advice moving local

2. Is Windows Mail a cloud based application?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Windows Mail a cloud based application?: I'm very interested in learning how Windows Mail the free application we get with Windows by default works especially when a gmail account is logged in. Can we call it a cloud-based application?...
  3. Is Windows Mail a cloud based application?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Windows Mail a cloud based application?: I'm very interested in learning how Windows Mail the free application we get with Windows by default works especially when a gmail account is logged in. Can we call it a cloud-based application?...
  4. Is Windows Mail a cloud based application?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. E-mail Contacts

E-mail Contacts: G'day,I do not know what happened. If I wanted to find a friend & their e-mail, I would click on Switch To People. I would see all my contact. When I do it now I get this Pop-Up. Please could somebody tell me how I can get it back to the way it was?Cheers Perry* Moved from...
  6. Retrieve Live Mail calendar and contacts

Retrieve Live Mail calendar and contacts: I've been using live mail for years. My computer was damaged and replaced. Outlook is installed. Email is retrieved but not calendar and contacts. Is it possible to get this information? I'm happy to manually input into Outlook if transfer isn't possible....
  7. E-mail for Contacts going to Bulk Mail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    E-mail for Contacts going to Bulk Mail: Recently noticed I was not receiving e-mail from several of my Contacts. Just by chance when looking for a notice from a vendor in my Bulk Folder I found many e-mails from Contacts that I have in my People App. I am working with Windows 10 and I have Yahoo Mail. Has...
  8. Contacts, Calendar, Mail Lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Contacts, Calendar, Mail Lost: I opened up my mail this morning and saw all my information and when I went to open up Mail everything was gone including all my contacts and calendar information using Mail for Windows 10. Please advise how to recover this information. I'm not able to find anything....
  9. Import old e-mail and contacts

Import old e-mail and contacts: Just purchased new Win 10 PC. Microsoft Mail app on PC and I'm looking to import my e-mail files from old PC. I have slaved the old HD in a USB case and have access to all data. However when I open Microsoft Mail I can not find where to import....
  10. E-Mail contacts

in Browsers and Email
    E-Mail contacts: The Win 10 Mail does not have a connection to contacts. If you want to forward or send E-Mail, you have to open the People app and copy and paste to the To line in the Web 10 Mail page. Is there a way to have the contacts button on the Web 10 mail page? I had to download Win...