Windows 10: Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer

Discus and support Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First thing to know is that this is a 1 month old new ACER Aspire ES1-533-C55P (x64) notebook Win10 Home (x64). About a month ago a friend called me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MeAndMyComputer, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer

First thing to know is that this is a 1 month old new ACER Aspire ES1-533-C55P (x64) notebook Win10 Home (x64).

About a month ago a friend called me about his wife wasn't able to log in to their Yahoo email account because the password wasn't working anymore and the forgot password process wasn't going anywhere and that was going for at least 3 months and that was on an XP computer. The other day they called Yahoo and it was discovered their email account had been seriously hacked. My friend called me last night: in the course of depending on whatever "technical support" was doing, the computer got completely wiped-out.

When I was originally talking with them about a month ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive and included backup system files. From what I've read it can be used to reinstall the OS. Is that true and how is it possible?

I do know how to use Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials . It will be a fresh install w/o ACER's stuff on it although it most likely would void the standard 1 year warranty for hardware.

Opinions please.

One more thing, will I still be able to get into the UEFI BIOS fast boot or secure boot?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Dec 19, 2017
  2. Andreiaz. Win User

How much would it cost to trade a 1 month old Nokia lumia 820 that broke for the same model and transfer my info to it?

Hi ressitance,

Thank you for posting at the community.

There's no way we could answer your question Ressitance, this forum is replied by ordinary people like me and you, so what I could suggest to you is contact your local shop and verify with them what can be done with the device or even Nokia Support in your

Browse Nokia phones

Good luck!

Andreiaz

Andreiaz., Dec 19, 2017
  3. How much would it cost to trade a 1 month old Nokia lumia 820 that broke for the same model and transfer my info to it?

How much would it cost to trade a 1 month old Nokia lumia 820 that broke for the same model and transfer my info to it?

ressitance, Dec 19, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer

I suggest you backup the drivers first. Plug in a USB thumb drive and (assuming it gets the letter "E") and make a directory "E:\Drivers.

Then save them all like this from an elevated powershell prompt. PHP Code: Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination "E:\Drivers"
    See the tutorial her Backup and Restore Device Drivers in Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

Once you have clean installed if there are any drivers missing you can stick in the USB key and update the correct ACER drivers from there.

This has nothing to do with whether Windows or another OS is installed or not. It will work - don't worry about it.

5. swarfega Win User
    I would consider a clean install as mentioned above. You never know what they might have done. Since the machine already has 10 on it, you can skip the part where it asks for the key as it should auto activate.

Another advantage of a clean install is that it wont have all the software that these companies tend to install on it, so you'll know whats on the machine. The one program I do tend to install is if the company provides a central application where you can scan for updates and install drivers from. Makes life easier.

swarfega, Dec 19, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, you can use your Recovery Drive with system files included to do a clean install of Windows. Congratulations @MeAndMyComputer on making one, not many bother to do that.

The 'system files' that it includes are not only all the Microsoft Windows 10 system files, but also any OEM customizations (drivers, OEM utilities, etc.). Effectively your recovery drive is the 'factory reset' drive for the PC you made it on. So yes, it should include all "ACER's stuff".

Boot from the recovery drive and select the Troubleshoot option. There's a tutorial on this too.

*Arrow Recover Windows 10 from a Recovery Drive

Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer [​IMG]

7. Will it still be possible to use the recovery drive to get to the Troubleshoot: Recover from a drive option?

8. Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer

Thank you Bree: I appreciate that. I have a habit of doing that: To me that's the minimum step to take.

9. Bree New Member
    Yes. The recovery drive is bootable and has all the source files needed for a complete install of Windows 10. The Troubleshoot section is part of the recovery drive's system, it doesn't use anything from the PC. No software is required to be working on the PC, just the ability to boot from a USB and that the hardware is in working order (even if the HDD is now empty).

The only difference between doing a clean install with a recovery drive and using an ISO from Microsoft is that the recovery drive should also install any OEM customizations that were part of the PC that made the recovery drive. Those would have been included when you included system files.

10. Well this story isn't good. My friend called me today and told me his wife's computer is locked up and they have to pay to get back into the computer: whoever Yahoo support led him to did that to the computer. It probably wasn't Yahoo support he called but I can't tell. They don't understand that it's some ransomware as opposed to the computer being completely wiped out.

BTW, this thread is a continuation of
    Does Yahoo block an email account after umpteen unsuccessful attempts?
    Does Yahoo block an email account after umpteen unsuccessful attempts Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Is it possible to get his computer back in proper order?
    Is it possible to remove the HDD and connect it as an external HDD on another computer and wipe the HDD clean and go from there?
    Or maybe buy a replacement HDD and go from there?

MeAndMyComputer, Jan 17, 2018
  11. Finally got back to this project and it was easily successful. The USB Recovery drive with system files did the job as expected. Thank you.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 5, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

Great news, and congratulations again on making the Recovery Drive in the first place.

Thema:

Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer

1. Advice to reinstall on a 1 month old new computer - Similar Threads - Advice reinstall month

2. 1 MONTH OLD PC KEEPS CRASHING

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1 MONTH OLD PC KEEPS CRASHING: hey, my pc is a month old and it continuously crashes when trying to game, I've rolled back drivers, installed new ones, factory reset many times, cleared the cache tried to update direct x, but I looked into the event viewer and found the error logs if I send them could you...
  3. 1 MONTH OLD PC KEEPS CRASHING

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1 MONTH OLD PC KEEPS CRASHING: hey, my pc is a month old and it continuously crashes when trying to game, I've rolled back drivers, installed new ones, factory reset many times, cleared the cache tried to update direct x, but I looked into the event viewer and found the error logs if I send them could you...
  4. New computer 2 months

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer 2 months: Today made a folder called 21.5gb windows.old after the update today. I did not make it windows old folder.Just need an answer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-2-months/7ee66cbd-0748-4763-853c-102a7ce52d04
  5. From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything: Because of a persistent blue screen error that they couldn't fix, Dell has given me a new computer. Both the old and the new have Windows 11 Pro. I have a server for documents, so there's minimal data. But heaps of programs and apps. Is there a way to transfer everything on...
  6. From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything: Because of a persistent blue screen error that they couldn't fix, Dell has given me a new computer. Both the old and the new have Windows 11 Pro. I have a server for documents, so there's minimal data. But heaps of programs and apps. Is there a way to transfer everything on...
  7. Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi and Modem Advice Regarding New and Old Computers: We have a new Windows 10 desktop which has been put on wifi for us. We were not happy with the layout of Windows Mail and put in Outlook on this computer and it has IMAP settings. We also have two our old Windows 7 computers - one is a desktop and the other is a laptop. They...
  8. Reinstall Windows Advice

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reinstall Windows Advice: What's the best way to reinstall Window? I'm having a problem with my PC shutting off even when it's set to Never shut off when plugged in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-advice/66fe94ad-ed6f-4bc7-9164-d1e5dfe5a8d3"
  9. Endless Problems for Months - Time for Fresh Reinstall - Need Advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Endless Problems for Months - Time for Fresh Reinstall - Need Advice: Hello, My computer is running Windows 10 Pro Education Insider Preview Build 17046.rs_prerelease.171118-1403 (whatever that means, lol). Things have been worse ever since I had the bright idea to switch over to the Insider Preview channel, but overall I've had problems...
  10. Clean Install on 1-month old Surface Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install on 1-month old Surface Laptop: Another one-month new issue [img] Santa gave me a new i7 Surface Laptop that I immediately upgraded to W10 Pro. Well, I seem to have a weekly BSD, and many suggestions online say to try a clean OS install. I do nothing on this machine that my lower spec'd Lenovo and MBP...