Windows 10: afraid of not finding right drivers

Discus and support afraid of not finding right drivers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All, I Have DELL XPS-13 (9343). I have upgraded to win10 from win8.1. I have issues with my win10 now. I want to clean install win10 on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by geojoshi, Nov 11, 2015.

1. geojoshi Win User

afraid of not finding right drivers

Hello All,

I Have DELL XPS-13 (9343). I have upgraded to win10 from win8.1. I have issues with my win10 now. I want to clean install win10 on my laptop.
    • I'm afraid of not finding right drivers if i clean install.
    • Is there a specific order in which drivers should be loaded.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

:)

geojoshi, Nov 11, 2015

2. Windows not finding drivers

Device drivers for non-Microsoft hardware (most of it) is a 'you get it from the manufacturer yourself and install it yourself' thing. Where SOME device drivers might be pushed to you on occasion, almost ALWAYS the ones YOU can obtain directly from the
    hardware manufacturer are newer/have improvements over even those.

In other words, if you are depending on Microsoft to provide support for your non-Microsoft hardware in the form of device drivers (third party software) - you need to re-think that. ;-)

Shenan Stanley, Nov 11, 2015
  3. GhostyZF Win User
    Windows not finding drivers

I've noticed that some of my drivers are very old like I mean VERY old. Some drivers are from 11 years ago and windows say its the latest driver. I know this is false because it said the same thing about my graphics driver which was from 2015 but I got
    fed up and uninstalled it and restarted and boom 2017 version was there. I don't want to uninstall every driver I have to verify if it will update, is there a better way to do this? HP is totally unreliable, they said the latest drivers for me was that 2015
    version and here I have a 2017 one. If someone could please help, I've had this problem unresolved for a long time, thanks!

GhostyZF, Nov 11, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Look at Dell for drivers first.
    I usually start with drivers for chipset first.

CountMike, Nov 11, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    If you don't have Ethernet make sure you download Wi-Fi drivers before clean install so you can connect to internet and download the rest.

6. bro67 Win User
    The Windows 8 drivers are no different then the Windows 10. If Dell does not have them. You can go to the chipset manufacturer's website and download them.

bro67, Nov 11, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    I wouldn't advise using Driver Boost or indeed anything from IObit !!!

CountMike, Nov 11, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Download latest drivers for Windows 8 or 7 from Dell, including the LAN driver, as you may not be able to connect to the internet after the clean-install. Since all other drivers depend on the motherboard components (chipset), always start with the chipset driver, then graphics, audio etc. If you have the factory Windows (you never clean-install before), there might be a folder in C: (drivers or Dell or swsetup or similar) containing all the drivers, but I would prefer downloading the latest from the website to make sure I have them all and they are the most compatible. During Setup you may be offered to check for updates. This will attempt to find and download drivers automatically. This in some notebooks can be OK but in others can introduce incompatibilities and BSOD. I would recommend to uncheck the box, install Windows 10 and after you can successfully boot to the desktop, you can install any drivers. I also recommend to install as many drivers as you can manually from manufacturer and avoid using Windows Update for them since Microsoft generic drivers often have problems and they are for basic functionality only. They hardly take advantage of the full potential of the hardware like an OEM driver.

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
  9. geojoshi Win User
    Many thanks guys. I appreciate your help. I'll let you all know about the progress soon

geojoshi, Nov 12, 2015
  10. geojoshi Win User
    Hi all, I looked up on dell website. Downloaded the drivers. Thankfully they have an option of showing drivers in "installation order"
    Downloaded them and stored them in numbered folders. After clean Win10 installation installed all the drivers one by one.

Only glitch i came across was at one Dell application named "Dell Digital Delivery Application" few times the installation failed. It was because it was looking for .NET 3.5 framework. Looked up on google and used "DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source*Biggrin:\sources\sxs"

Command to get .NET 3.5 framework.
    So far everything looks good.....touchwood...

Thanks to all,

Cheers....

geojoshi, Nov 18, 2015
  11. spapakons Win User
    Congratulations. I would install only the drivers and not all Dell applications. They aren't really necessary.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  12. CountMike New Member
    Hmm, just how did you enter that emoi in the command prompt ?

CountMike, Nov 18, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

Probably it was a combination such as / and : and the forum engine converted it to the emoticon.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    It's funny (like haha funny) though !

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. afraid of not finding right drivers - Similar Threads - afraid finding right

2. Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11: This may be a small issue but the Snipping tool in W 11 basically does not work. Instead of saving an image as a JPG or PNG file in the Pictures folder, the image is saved in Clipboard in a format that can't be uploaded or shared as a proper media file. Small issues portend...
  3. Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11: This may be a small issue but the Snipping tool in W 11 basically does not work. Instead of saving an image as a JPG or PNG file in the Pictures folder, the image is saved in Clipboard in a format that can't be uploaded or shared as a proper media file. Small issues portend...
  4. Finding the right debloated iso

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Finding the right debloated iso: oddly i think this is the best way to go about this. i need to ask you guys and gals to help me find a debloated windows 10 iso from within these forums sadly i have no skills or time to make my own. the help finding one will be greatly appreciated. requirements for the...
  5. Installing new graphic drivers but can't find the right one?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Installing new graphic drivers but can't find the right one?: Hello my dears, I have a Gtx 1050 ti 4gb and would like to download the 440.97 driver but I don't know what I have to set on the nvidia site. Can you help me ps: i'll put a picture in the bottom thanks in advance ♥️ [ATTACH] Neue grafik treiber installieren aber...
  6. I’m afraid of virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I’m afraid of virus: Hi I am really affraid of a virus and I see all these videos about virus I got so worried its all i could think about I got Kaspersky antivrius and it said nothing I got bit defender said nothing And i got malwarebytes and it said nothing I am just really worried because i...
  7. Afraid this is a Scam

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Afraid this is a Scam: My friend got an email from this company, offering her Office Pro Plus for $39.00. She thought it was a good deal, so went for it. I'm not so sure it's legit, since the product key doesn't seem to work. Also, I've never heard of Microsoft Softwares LTD. Here's a screenie of...
  8. afraid for family.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    afraid for family.: i can not say, it will be worse ... no, xcuse if you see it up to now, forget. nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/afraid-for-family/85db7560-c6d3-4780-a8d2-588d295cc65f"
  9. where can i find the right drivers for my systems set up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    where can i find the right drivers for my systems set up: I have a Toshiba L355 Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile cpu with a Mobile Intel (R) 4 Series chipset gpu running on windows 10 and I cannot find the drivers for my laptop anywhere on the net all I can find are the drivers for the same gpu with either an Intel Celeron or an Intel Core...
  10. Afraid to test Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Afraid to test Windows 10: Thanks for giving us a chance to see what's coming. I just had a new computer built. It has a Gigabyte mb and I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit with all the updates installed. I have 2 HDs in the computer. Drive A is Windows 7 and drive B is Windows 10. In the techs shop...