Windows 10: Afraid to test Windows 10

Discus and support Afraid to test Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thanks for giving us a chance to see what's coming. I just had a new computer built. It has a Gigabyte mb and I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jack, Jan 18, 2015.

1. jack Win User

Afraid to test Windows 10

Thanks for giving us a chance to see what's coming.
    I just had a new computer built. It has a Gigabyte mb and I am
    running Windows 7 pro 64-bit with all the updates installed.
    I have 2 HDs in the computer. Drive A is Windows 7 and drive B
    is Windows 10. In the techs shop we had both hds connected.
    The computer then had a hissy. Evidently Windows 10 and the mb
    or Windows 7 and Windows 10 with the Gigabyte mb don't get
    along very well. I am guessing here.
    To solve the problem we disconnected the Windows 10 hd. After the
    tech did his thing then the computer was ok. I still am in the process
    of installing all my goodies on the computer and haven't fired up 10
    as yet. I understand that this mb will dual boot. So as not to loose
    all the work I have done on Windows 7, I will 1st back up Windows 7.
    Then unplug Windows 7 and plug in Windows 10 to see what happens.
    I am leery of plugging both drives in at this point.
    This is a temporary problem. If Windows 10 doesn't start looking
    like Windows 8, I will have only one HD in the computer. Windows 10.

Sure could use some expert advice. Preferably one with a Gigabyte mb.

:)

2. JoeA-UK Win User

Toshiba External Hard Drive not recognised by Windows 10

Hi

This is did not work I am afraid. AV is not the issue.

I have tested HD with other non-Windows 10 computers (e.g. 7, 8.1 and XP) and it works.

Any other suggestions?

Regards

Joe

JoeA-UK, Jan 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007

My Office 2007 home and student is compatible with Microsoft upcoming operating system windows 10? I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on 29th but don't want to buy a copy of office for the time and therefore I am afraid to upgrade to windows 10.

Please reply if any one have tested or have knowledge about it.

Ravi Kant Verma, Jan 18, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

hello, iam no expert but I do have a gigabyte board and iam duel booting win8.1 and win10,but on the same hardrive with out any issues when win10 was installed it likely took over the MBR or boot info[or what ever its called now] from win7

caperjack, Jan 19, 2015
  5. jack Win User
    Thanks Caper for responding.
    Am I right that the gigabyte mb gives the option to which OS you
    want to use hardware wise??
    Maybe it's the combination of Windows 7 and Windows 10 that caused
    my problem......

6. Vladimir Win User
    The safest ways are to dual boot with two HDDs or in a VM. I have running VMs of builds 9841, 9860, 9879 and 9901. This latest one gave me lots of probs on bare metal, but now it's running fairly on VMWare 11. It's quite buggy, so I suggest you to go for 9879.

Afraid to test Windows 10 [​IMG]

*Smile

Vladimir, Jan 19, 2015
  7. jack Win User
    Thanks Vladimir.
    I am using 9879.
    I think it's some problem with Windows 7 and Windows 10 and the MBR.
    Guessing

8. Afraid to test Windows 10

So what was the actual issue? What happens when you boot into Windows 10? Who installed the operating systems on the PC?

alphanumeric, Jan 19, 2015
  9. Assuming that Windows 7 is installed on 1 HD as a clean build & Windows 10 is installed on the 2 HD as a clean build, both installations best being done with the other HD disconnected, then pressing F12 at the bios screen will allow either HD to be selected i.e. P1 (Windows 7) or P2 (Windows 10) or maybe the other way around.

The other option is to press DEL at the bios prompt & change the boot sequence to the either HD1 or HD2.

A problem that I found when installing Windows 8.1 on a separate HD is that the only way I could get it to install was to let the installation partition & format the drive during the process to GPT. Somehow, with drive connected, the bios will always boot from that drive irrespective of what drive is selected by F12 at the bios prompt.

WightWalker, Jan 19, 2015
  10. jack Win User
    Thanks guys for your replies.
    To: Alphanumeric
    The Tech installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    The computer froze when Windows 7 and Windows 10 were plugged in.

To: Wightwalker
    I have no idea if the computer is using GPT. I would assume it's MBR.
    I have no idea how to install GPT if I need to do that.

11. Was Windows 10 installed on that hardware or was that drive moved from one PC to another.

alphanumeric, Jan 19, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Forget DUAL BOOTING these days - it's a waste of time and invariably leads to tears and frustrations - especially if you want to alter HDD geometry / convert to GPT / convert back to MBR, re-size partitions, etc etc.

Why not simply run W10 as a Virtual machine (VMware player is Free --you can't use HYPER-V on a W7 Host).

These days - unless you need to really get right into the hardware modern virtualisation techniques will run pretty well everything (including a lot of multi-media , 3D acceleration and video, and even some quite intensive games) .

There's no need to dual boot any more - that's Dinosaur technology.

If you are intending your rig as a specialized gaming rig then that's a different matter but for 99.9% of other uses virtualisation has come a LONG way - even in the last couple of years --it's simple to use and great for testing the OS without needing to re-boot your HOST.

Plenty of instructions and help on the Virtualisation section of the Forum (and on W7 / W8 forums too for particular problems setting up virtualisation when running those OS'es as Hosts or even VM's).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 20, 2015
  13. Afraid to test Windows 10

I want to run it on my real hardware, not virtual hardware, duh.

alphanumeric, Jan 20, 2015
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    I totally agree, I'm running Win10/Win8.1 as a dual boot on the same SSD and it was easy to set up and I've had no issues to date.

YMMV as usual...
    Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, Jan 20, 2015
  15. Vladimir Win User
    I totally agree, I'm running Win10/Win8.1 as a dual boot on the same SSD and it was easy to set up and I've had no issues to date.

YMMV as usual...
    Jeff *Smile I've prepared a 60GB partition in my SSD to install W10JTP when it becomes available.
    Hopefully later today I'll have it running on bare metal !

*Thumbs

Vladimir, Jan 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Afraid to test Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Afraid test

2. Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.: I have gone into settings and set things so that Chrome would be my browser but from time to time I will click on a link not noticing anything indicating it goes to Microsoft and then suddenly everything I try to link to ends up in Edge and then Bing becomes my search engine...
  3. Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.: I have gone into settings and set things so that Chrome would be my browser but from time to time I will click on a link not noticing anything indicating it goes to Microsoft and then suddenly everything I try to link to ends up in Edge and then Bing becomes my search engine...
  4. Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11: This may be a small issue but the Snipping tool in W 11 basically does not work. Instead of saving an image as a JPG or PNG file in the Pictures folder, the image is saved in Clipboard in a format that can't be uploaded or shared as a proper media file. Small issues portend...
  6. Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11

Afraid to upgrade to Windows 11: This may be a small issue but the Snipping tool in W 11 basically does not work. Instead of saving an image as a JPG or PNG file in the Pictures folder, the image is saved in Clipboard in a format that can't be uploaded or shared as a proper media file. Small issues portend...
  7. I am afraid that PhotosService.exe is malware or a trojan? is is a legit sofware or false...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am afraid that PhotosService.exe is malware or a trojan? is is a legit sofware or false...: the file location isC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2024.11010.10002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PhotosServicewhole folder has 4 files in it with Virustotal resultsPhotosService.exe...
  8. I am afraid that PhotosService.exe is malware or a trojan? is is a legit sofware or false...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am afraid that PhotosService.exe is malware or a trojan? is is a legit sofware or false...: the file location isC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2024.11010.10002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\PhotosServicewhole folder has 4 files in it with Virustotal resultsPhotosService.exe...
  9. I am afraid that PhotosService.exe is malware or a trojan? is is a legit sofware or false...

10. I was installing windows 10 on Lenovo IdeaPad 3 and it's on 34% after 3 hrs I am afraid to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I was installing windows 10 on Lenovo IdeaPad 3 and it's on 34% after 3 hrs I am afraid to...: I was installing windows 10 on Lenovo IdeaPad 3 and it's on 34% after 3 hrs I am afraid to stop it because I don't want to go through it again what should I do?...