Windows 10: AFS Error Info

Discus and support AFS Error Info in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I click to start some programs, I get this AFS Error Info window. After clicking OK, I then get the UAC window. Except for the extra step, nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gogreen, Sep 28, 2015.

1. gogreen Win User

AFS Error Info

When I click to start some programs, I get this AFS Error Info window. After clicking OK, I then get the UAC window. Except for the extra step, nothing goes wrong--it's just annoying. Sometimes programs requiring a UAC show this AFS error, sometimes not. Anyone have any idea what this is and how to stop it?

:)

gogreen, Sep 28, 2015
  2. Waldemare Win User

My Windows Camera does not work: error code: OxA00F424A(0x80070491)

Hello Erika,

thank you a lot for responding

I just unplugged my first webcam: Logitech QuickCam Orbit/Sphere AF from my PC, leaving only my second webcam: Logitech BRIO. I opened the Windows Camera app and...... my second webcam: Logitech BRIO works!!! Then, I changed the webcams. I unplugged Logitech
    BRIO and plugged Logitech QuickCam Orbit/Sphere AF to my PC. I was not that lucky this time, because when I opened the Windows Camera app the little pop out windows says: Something went wrong... error... I am very grateful for your help Erika. At least, I
    learned that one of my two webcams works with this app. The other webcam: Logitech QuickCam Orbit/Sphere AF works perfectly with all my other audio/video capture programs but unfortunately for some reason, it doesn't work with this one. Therefore, I know for
    sure that my both webcams are fine and with downloaded latest drivers. It needs to be the Windows Camera app error, when it comes to use my Logitech QuickCam Orbit/Sphere AF. Do you have Erika maybe any other advice on your mind, that it would make my second
    Logitech webcam also work? I should call you already my Angel for fixing half of my problem. Hmmm I will call you a SuperAngel, if you provide me with some info how to fix the second part of my problem...

XXX

Thank You my Angel for all your time and help

Waldemare, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Faulty message "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again."

On windows computers in our lab.

We have some files in a UNC path ("\\afs\..."). We need a kerberos ticket and an afs token to access this location. (AFS)

When we want to open an image file (PNG in my tests) with Microsoft Photos, we get

"It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again."

But

* the file is readable

* If I copy or move the file to the desktop, I can open it there.

* It is not reproducible in every folder in \\afs\....

After moving the file in another volume/folder in \\afs\..., I could open it there. (This folder was a homefolder for me).

* We can open it in other programs (paint etc)

* After opening it wit another program like paint, the slideshow of Microsoft Fotos can show the image and double-clicking on the image shows the image very brief before displaying the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check
    the permissions and try again.".

What extra permissions would Microsoft Photos need. In my opinion readable alone should be enough.

If I can read the file, I expect Microsoft Photos to be able to open it.

How can I debug this problem?

Thanks for helping me out!

Vincent.be, Sep 28, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

AFS Error Info

The Afs Error Info Invalid Parameter error may be caused by windows system files damage.

There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

I would try first if have a system restore point, go back to best known configuration before this happened. If it is only some programs can correct it by reinstalling those certain programs, some programs when you run the installer if not uninstalled yet will will ask to remove or modify the install, modify may correct this too. Also may be compatibility issues with software.

Other then these, can try system file checker and DISM.
    Admin Command Prompt
    sfc /scannow

Then this
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Reboot after, may need to do it few times, both commands to correct issues.

jds63, Sep 28, 2015
  5. gogreen Win User
    I recently did a repair install of Windows 10. Both Chkdsk /f and SFC /scannow check out OK, but to get back to normal, I did have to perform a Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth with a mounted ISO as a file source. I'm getting the AFS Error now after everything checks out OK.

gogreen, Sep 29, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    How did you do a repair install, inplace repair upgrade ? Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Reinstall the problem software giving you this error ?

jds63, Sep 29, 2015
  7. gogreen Win User
    Yes, repair install with an inplace upgrade using the tutorial you cited. The reinstalled problem software isn't giving me the error. Some other applications are--that never did before.

gogreen, Sep 29, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

AFS Error Info

And those are which ? Have run a full system scan with AV ?

jds63, Sep 29, 2015
  9. gogreen Win User
    I shouldn't say the applications are giving me trouble--it's just that clicking on their desktop icons gives the AFS error before going to the UAC. Let's see--Glary utilities, for one.

Good idea. I should run a whole system scan. Thanks.

gogreen, Sep 29, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    YW, not sure if rebuilding icon cache may help that, but only if shortcut is the true issue or blank. I do not like to do this as sometimes messes up rest of my desktop icons. Maybe icon can be replaced found in C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/StartMenu

Hopefully not a compatibility issue with Windows 10, software i meant.

jds63, Sep 29, 2015
  11. gogreen Win User
    I ran a full scan last night with Windows Defender Offline. More than 1.48 million objects were scanned! *Eek

No problems, and now the AFS error appears to be gone--so far.

gogreen, Sep 29, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Has me wondering what exactly fixed this issue and since the scan did not find anything. Truthfully i would not rely on Windows Defender alone as safe as you maybe with internet and e-mails. Try Malwarebytes free for scans in the future along with Defender, if this is your choice protection. With SFC and DISM sometimes after few reboots may help usually when doing the commands more then once.

jds63, Sep 29, 2015
  13. gogreen Win User

AFS Error Info

Yeah, I also use MalwareBytes Free! I've heard that about Windows Defender...

Where would I find the DISM log to see exactly what DISM fixed?

gogreen, Sep 29, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    When you ran it, it showed fine, use this command again too.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Log can be found here c:/windows/logs

jds63, Sep 29, 2015
  15. gogreen Win User
    Ran it again just now. Attached is what I got. *Cool

The log file is huge, considering DISM ran only for a few seconds! There were some warnings, and some other things, though. But if it detected no corruption, that's good, right?

gogreen, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

AFS Error Info

1. AFS Error Info - Similar Threads - AFS Error Info

2. I can't log in to the AF Portal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't log in to the AF Portal: I accidentally deleted the certificate for my CAC a while back and now I can't log in. I've tried fixing the issue so many times but nothing worked. I keep getting the same error code saying " No Client Certificate presented" followed by this error code number...
  3. PC Broken AF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Broken AF: Hi asked this question before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-power/asus-laptop-freezes-on-boot-screen/d3110807-2b43-4f5e-a36c-b4e1d38e8a33?messageId=16469767-1432-4bda-8631-d2ce07f60719Did everything the guy asked still nothing, PC boots up after...
  4. PC Broken AF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Broken AF: Hi asked this question before https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-power/asus-laptop-freezes-on-boot-screen/d3110807-2b43-4f5e-a36c-b4e1d38e8a33?messageId=16469767-1432-4bda-8631-d2ce07f60719Did everything the guy asked still nothing, PC boots up after...
  5. Cannot login to AF Portal

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot login to AF Portal: I just bought this laptop and my first attempt logging into AF portal https://www.my.af.mil was successful. My unit encourages us to download Desktop Anywhere, and I began the process to do that. The first step is to download a DOD PKI link, then restart the computer. After I...
  6. Windows Screen Projection pixels af

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Screen Projection pixels af: So, today I decided to try the Screen Projection with my (kind of) old laptop. Both my monitor and my laptop's monitor are 1920x1080p. Thing is, when I got the PIN connected my laptop's screen started pixelating a lot, like half of the screen was just big squares. Anyone...
  7. What is this. Am confused af

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this. Am confused af: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/animeaddictiontokyo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hrjx69/what_is_this_am_confused_af/
  8. windows 10 reactivation is broke af

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 reactivation is broke af: a few years ago i got a free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, recently i changed my motherboard and now windows needs activation. i went to troubleshooting, clicked "I changed hardware on this device recently" then selected the device that came up. that's as far as i get...
  9. BLUE SCREEN ERROR AT SHUTDOWN AF 1903 UPDATE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BLUE SCREEN ERROR AT SHUTDOWN AF 1903 UPDATE: Getting blue screen error at everys shutdown after updating to Windows 1903. Stopcode: systemthread exception not handled. NCIS.SYS Have already run: sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online...
  10. BSOD no error info?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD no error info?: I've been having multiple blue screens but every single time it doesn't gather error info. It just sticks at zero percent! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-no-error-info/82c51048-68fa-47be-8e6c-7e78eea258c9