Windows 10: After a restart, disk usage is high for several minutes

Discus and support After a restart, disk usage is high for several minutes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi When I restart my computer, it boots up relatively fast but when the desktop appears, the disk continues to work hard. When I open the task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by amos, Oct 8, 2016.

1. amos Win User

After a restart, disk usage is high for several minutes

Hi

When I restart my computer, it boots up relatively fast but when the desktop appears, the disk continues to work hard. When I open the task manager I see avast is working but I also see several Windows tasks that do their work as well until everything cools off.

Is there a tool that can monitor the processes that are running right after booting and then shows what is working so a normal person can understand?

Thanks

:)

amos, Oct 8, 2016

2. Disk usage running 98-100%

Right after booting up my computer is too busy to allow any program to be called. A check of usage shows several MC programs running and Windows Module Installer is one of the top users of my disk usage. After being almost totally locked out for about 7
    minutes the disk usage goes down to less than 50% and I have reasonable usage without being locked out. What is causing this high Read/write on my disk.

Lee Wellman

LeeWellman, Oct 8, 2016
  3. HELP! RuntimeBroker.exe is crippling my laptop!

I actually did that but still had the issue come up which is why I disabled Live tiles as a precaution. The symptoms I have seen are slightly different than everyone else mostly consisting of 100% disk usage but did have very high CPU usage at first before
    I disabled the Show me tips about Windows option. After that it was just high hard disk usage but disabling the tiles has helped a bit at least for now. I am still watching the hard disk and memory usage but so far it is at least stable.

Edit: It crashed again after 45 minutes, the problem is still occurring no matter what I try

Edit2: It is now crashing at least once an hour because of the high hard disk usage

NicholasMoon, Oct 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this may point you in the right direction:
    windows - Log %CPU by Process over time - Super User

However, interpreting it and taking decisions as to what to do is then another matter.

I recently looked at a friend's Win 10 PC whose disk use was near 100%- a combination of Windows Defender, Dropbox (no longer needed) and one other program.

Uninstalling Dropbox, and installing Avast helped to reduce idle CPU use below 1% and disk use to 0. Just an example.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2016
  5. amos Win User
    Thanks,

I saw an option "Enable boot logging" but how will it know to collect data when the computer starts (it's a portable application)?
    Also, How can I tell it to delete previous logging? i want it to start working when the computer restarts until I generate the report (when the disk usage calms down).

Again, Thanks a lot

amos, Oct 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After a restart, disk usage is high for several minutes - Similar Threads - restart disk usage

2. high disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high disk usage: I am facing high disk usage problems after upgrading to windows 11. PC health check said that my hardware is compatible and my hard drive has around 200 GB free space left on C drive....
  3. High Disk Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Disk Usage: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3576 with the following build Intel core i3 7th Gen1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 HDD12 GB RAMI had two other issues regarding long startup time and high disk usage by SYSTEM process. They were solved with help from the Microsoft Community...
  4. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: My disk usage is 100% during startup making it unusable which settles down after like 5 mins. After it settles down and i open an application disk usage again skyrockets to 100% which settles down ultimately. I have tried every method online without any luck....
  5. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: The Disk usage is almost always 100%. I am unable to do work. Please help. I have windows 10 on Dell inspiron 5559. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/high-disk-usage/9f934320-7fb2-4015-b1ff-d75bb14a50cb
  6. High Disk Usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High Disk Usage.: Today I installed the new windows 10 update for my Laptop which I wanted to do for a while, but when I opened Task Manager and go to Procceses, the disk usage is at 100% and the system is on top with 2-11 MB/s, how can I fix this problem? I have I5 8250u, AMD Radeon 530...
  7. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: hi, i am using windows 10 home, version 2004. i am having high disk usage problem for about a week. even when not using, it is 100%. But,in Task manager, under DISK column, there running "svchost", Tiworker, system. how can these 3 items cause 100% usage? btw, i ran chkdsk,...
  8. High disk usage after Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    High disk usage after Updates: Split from this thread. OK Greg, I get what you are saying. But surely, it is Micrsoft's responsibility to supply a solid Windows 10 update that will work properly and not kill my system by overactive disk usage?...
  9. High Disk Usage

High Disk Usage: Hi, Every Mon. AM ( When I turn on the computer) my computer is very slow. When I check the Task Manager>Processes it is "System" which is causing the computer to barely work. The Disk usage is 49-50%. This lasts for 10-15 min. & then doesn't happen until the next week....
  10. High Disk Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High Disk Usage: I am trying to figure out the cause of my extremely high disk usage. No matter what I do, the usage is anywhere from 80%-100%. I've stopped and disabled the Windows Search, along with Superfetch. [img] I've also tried disabling "Show me tips about Windows" and it...