Windows 10: After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting

Discus and support After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After this second Creators Update (Creators Update 2), the thumbnail cache keeps deleting itself and having to rebuild after I wake it up from sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Konally, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Konally Win User

After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting

After this second Creators Update (Creators Update 2), the thumbnail cache keeps deleting itself and having to rebuild after I wake it up from sleep mode, or just after a few hours of PC use (like maybe about 4 to 5 hours).

Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks for reading.

:)

Konally, Oct 21, 2017

2. WINDOWS CREATOR FALL UPDATE 2

After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting after every shutdown and switching it on !

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup.

RITESHJAYSWAL, Oct 21, 2017
  3. rpsgc Win User
    rpsgc, Oct 21, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

It is Fall Creators update, not CU2. Are you running any kind of third party software and what program is this happening to, if not the OS.

bro67, Oct 21, 2017
  5. First of all try to reset thumbnail cache folder so that it starts storing thumbnail cache files from scratch. Execute the batch script attached to this post.

If the deleting thumbnail cache files method doesn't work for you, try following:

Windows 8 and later operating systems come with a new Automatic maintenance service which regularly deletes unnecessary files and performs system optimization tasks. This service might also delete thumbnail cache files.

. Press Win+R keys together to launch RUN dialog box, then type taskschd.msc in RUN box and press Enter. 2. It'll open Task Scheduler program. Now go to:
    Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> TaskScheduler
    3. In right-side pane, you'll see following 4 tasks:

• Idle Maintenance
    • Maintenance Configurator
    • Manual Maintenance
    • Regular Maintenance

4. You need to disable following 3 tasks:

• Idle Maintenance
    • Manual Maintenance
    • Regular Maintenance

To disable them, right-click on the task and select Disable option.

5. Sometimes "Maintenance Configurator" task may re-enable the other 3 tasks. In such case, you'll need to delete all 4 tasks. Click on each task and press Delete key.

But Windows will not allow many users to delete these tasks right from Task Scheduler program. If you also face this problem while deleting those tasks, do as following:

5. a. Type tasks in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll show permissions related message, click on Continue button. It'll open C:\Windows\System32\Tasks folder which stores all tasks listed in Task Scheduler program.

5. b. Now go to Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler folder and delete all 4 tasks files. If you face any permission related issue, take ownership of the files as mentioned in this guide and then delete the task files.

6. That's it. Now you have disabled Windows automatic maintenance service and it should fix the automatic thumbnail cache deletion problem.

If you use CCleaner or other temp file cleaning utilities, make sure to uncheck options to delete thumbnail cache files.

FreeBooter, Oct 22, 2017
  6. Konally Win User
    I'm not running any 3rd party software, it's all folders and files that store images. It's the thumbnail cache on Windows 10.

FreeBooter, I have reset the thumbnail cache and I checked the TaskScheduler and there aren't any tasks in the folder, it's blank. Resetting the cache didn't fix the problem, though. I don't use CCleaner often and I've unchecked everything in the app.

Konally, Oct 22, 2017
  7. Sorry i forget to upload the batch file use my batch file to delete thumbnail cache.

FreeBooter, Oct 22, 2017
  8. Konally Win User

Okay, I'll let you know if anything changed. Thanks.

Konally, Oct 22, 2017
  9. I just found one of my batch script which disables automatic maintenance in windows 10.

FreeBooter, Oct 22, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Something has to be running to clear the cache. It is not doing it on its own. It does help if you state the mfg and model of the computer in question, or download speccy, run and then post the URL that it gives for you to post on here. That will let everyone see what is running on the computer. Playing twenty questions is not going to solve anything.

bro67, Oct 22, 2017
  11. Konally Win User
    It's a gigabyte custom built PC. I didn't change anything around anywhere. This just started happening after this update. If anything is running that's new, I don't know what it would be. I put my specs now.

Konally, Oct 22, 2017
  12. Konally Win User
    Okay, so I decided to run Automatic Maintenance now, I didn't know it was always running at a certain time because I never had any trouble with my thumbnails deleting with Windows 10, but after this latest update it now magically deletes the cache. Now I will wait to see if the Automatic Maintenance batch file works, FreeBooter. Thanks.

Konally, Oct 22, 2017
  13. rcheung Win User

Please let us know if this works. I have the exact same problem and it only started happening only after the newest creators update. Nothing else was changed.

rcheung, Oct 22, 2017
  14. It’s only happened to me once since Tuesdays fall creators but yesterday all my thumbnail cache rebuilt itself. I don’t use sleep or anything like that. It just did it out of nowhere. Was going into my pictures folder and it just did it. So seems there is something going on that makes it seem a little prone

Scottyboy99, Oct 22, 2017
  15. YLM
    ylm Win User
    Hello everyone,
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm french. I have the same problem too since the last fall update 1709. No 3rd party software, for me it's not a software issue, it's a Windows problem, maybe with the automatic maintenance. Probably something broke during this update. I think it's odd that many people have exactly the same dysfunction...
    I keep looking for a fix. Thanks

Thema:

1. After Creators Update 2 thumbnails cache keeps auto-deleting - Similar Threads - Creators Update thumbnails

2. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  3. Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Thumbnail cache and stop Windows from deleting it: Many users have encountered this issue over the years. Registry tweaks and scheduled task adjustments often fall short after a while. Fortunately I've found a workaround from Windows 7 which is somehow still working on Windows 10 and even 11, by adding the following...
  4. Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache: My thumbnail cache for everything is constantly being deleted. I can open up a folder with a few jpeg's, back arrow , and immediately return to the folder and all of the thumbnails have to reload again. It happens on every drive I have. It's happening on the drive the...
  5. Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer continually deleting thumbnails cache: Hello, I've got many photos to sort on a HDD in numerous folders. I found a software to recursively generate all preview thumbnails. When done, the cache is almost 2go. But when I restart my computer, more than half of the cache is deleted so I have to regenerate the cache...
  6. Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Windows Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: "Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 - How to Stop Windows Auto Deleting the Thumbnail Cache" Updated June 2018 "Revised" I will first explain in a nut shell what I have did in this order to stop the thumbnail cache from being deleted. But, it might be possible to just take...
  7. Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting

Thumbnail Cache - Prevent Windows from Deleting: Hey guys, just made the upgrade from Win7 and I am wondering how to do this as the title suggests, I remember there being such a thing to do this here over at the sevenforums but this method is no longer working for Windows 10, so I am wondering if someone can please help me...
  8. Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache: Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache As most everyone knows, Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people including myself IRATE loading all my...
  9. Auto-cache thumbnails of all images on pc

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto-cache thumbnails of all images on pc: It seems that everytime I enter folders with a large amount of images it needs to reload the thumbnails which can take a while. If I let them all load then come back the thumbnails will be loaded. But if I go back in a few days the same loading will happen. Nevertheless if I...
  10. Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?: I was curious about the thumbnail cache and icon cache. Do these rebuild themselves after a feature update? I have a small issue with some icons. It so insignificant that I won’t bother manually rebuilding the icon cache but just wondered if a feature update forces something...