Windows 10: After Creators Update: Cant open Windows Explorer, themes problem

Discus and support After Creators Update: Cant open Windows Explorer, themes problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I downloaded the new Creators Update over night and in the morning I tried logging into my account. First I had some problems logging in but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djordjenikolic, Apr 15, 2017.

1. After Creators Update: Cant open Windows Explorer, themes problem

So I downloaded the new Creators Update over night and in the morning I tried logging into my account. First I had some problems logging in but I eventually managed to fix them.

Then, as I log in, all that I get is a black screen and the only way to open apps is via Task Manager. When I try running "explorer.exe" through it, a small window called Personalized Settings briefly pops up and a process called "Windows Problem Reporting" as well, but they closed in a second or two and that's it.

I recon this is a problem with with a theme I have installed and that it doesn't support the new update, like a fool I forgot to set up a Restore point before updating. Tried updating the GPU driver, doesn't help.

Windows starts normally in Safe Mode except I cant access Settings/Personalize/Themes. The window closes right away. Tried deleting the themes files and running the standard "aero.theme" but it doesn't work.

Anyone here able to help me reset the theme or you think my only option is reinstalling Windows? Or you think maybe it's a different problem altogether?

Thanks

:)

djordjenikolic, Apr 15, 2017

2. Windows Explorer crashes when loading theme files

Hello.

Thank you for your answer.

The computer did not crash. Only Explorer hung and restarted when this happened. I was still able to use my computer normally after the crash.

The theme that i was trying to use, works with Windows 10, but that is not the issue. Even if i opened the Windows themes folder, explorer would just han and restart. Yes, the built-in Windows themes folder makes Explorer crash.

I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Creators update the day before this happened.

I have tried applying the theme in Safe Mode, and the exact same thing happens.

Anything else i can try other than a reformat?

isakdombestein, Apr 15, 2017
  3. After upgradign from windows7 to windows10, I cant access my explorer, after 30-40 secs after opened explorer its closing automatically

Hi, I updated my PC from windows7 to windows10, now I cant access my explorer, after 30-40 secs after opened explorer its closing automatically. Also settings have same problem. Help me please.

Original Title :windows 10 update bugs

RamizBin Ebrayi, Apr 15, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

After Creators Update: Cant open Windows Explorer, themes problem

Hi, I would suggest you roll back to the previous version.
    Go Back to the Previous Version of Windows in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

A system restore point would have been irrelevant, as these, being useless after an upgrade, are deleted.

Having a disk image (which we strongly and repeatedly recommend) is the way to go - Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external disk for images.

So, try going back to the previous build, and then cleaning up any unwanted programs, themes, GUI modifications.
    Assuming you manage that successfully, create your first disk image ('Windows backup' in Macrium - all the windows partitions should be selected for you.

Then try upgrading again.

I recommend you create a bootable CU medium, for
    a. retries
    b. upgrading other PCs
    c. repair features.
    d. future clean install.

Saves repeat downloads and time.

You can prepare your Macrium Reflect related items and CU boot medium, meanwhile someone else may have a brilliant fix for you.

dalchina, Apr 15, 2017
  5. I managed to go back to the previous build, removed the themes and modifications. Gonna try to reupdate tonight. *Biggrin

djordjenikolic, Apr 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good.. make sure you use Macrium - a few people end up with unbootable PCs on upgrading.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

After Creators Update: Cant open Windows Explorer, themes problem

1. After Creators Update: Cant open Windows Explorer, themes problem - Similar Threads - Creators Update Cant

2. Windows Explorer Black theme problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer Black theme problem: Hello , i have a problem on latest Win 10 update , i have dark mode on and some folders don't have white fonts and are unreadable . i haven't tweaked anything in my system nor installed any theme/visual changing apps . what could the problem be ? thank you in advance ....
  3. Windows Explorer Black theme problem

Windows Explorer Black theme problem: Hello , i have a problem on latest Win 10 update , i have dark mode on and some folders don't have white fonts and are unreadable . i haven't tweaked anything in my system nor installed any theme/visual changing apps . what could the problem be ? thank you in advance ....
  4. Theme section not opening after upgrading to the Creator's Update.

Theme section not opening after upgrading to the Creator's Update.: I was using a custom theme that I downloaded from the internet before upgrading to the Creator's Update But I deleted it in safe mode basically if I go to Right Click>Personalization>Themes the settings crash and the Themes section doesn't open in control panel. Any...
  5. OldNewExplorer problem after creator's update

OldNewExplorer problem after creator's update: Hi guys! when I install the old new explorer , thw folders disappear. I use a custom theme and I have this problem after installing the new update. has anyone else similar issue? Thanks in advance! [img] 82290
  6. Chrome problems after creator update

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome problems after creator update: After installing the creators fall update my chrome wouldn't work any more. I uninstalled it and it wont install either. I get unspecified error. 100058
  7. Windows 10 Creators Update Explorer Not Opening!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Creators Update Explorer Not Opening!: I have just updated my Windows 10 computer to the Windows 10 Creators Update! Now, every time after I log in, my desktop is completely black with only my cursor and there is a blank window in the top right corner that says, "Personalized Settings (Not Responding)" on the...
  8. No text displayed in explorer after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    No text displayed in explorer after Creators Update: I have updated my Windows 10 to the latest version. After update I can't see any text in explorer (no folder and file names), only icons are shown. The same problem is with old Control Panel. On the other hand, the new settings menu is working as well as menu start. I've...
  9. Problems after Creators update on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems after Creators update on Windows 10: Hi, I have attached event log as a .rar file containing Event log.evtx. Problem is that after upgrading with Windows 10 Creators Update I got lots of errors shown in event log. If someone can go through the event log and advise how to resolve some or all problems I would...
  10. Taskbar problems after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar problems after Creators update: I have had the taskbar configured in two rows, with the bottom row being reserved for Quick Launch, for many years ever since the functionality was available on Win98a or XP. It has never failed, through all upgrades and updates. But after the Creators update, the taskbar no...