Windows 10: After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

Discus and support After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moeismu, Jun 25, 2018.

1. moeismu Win User

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate' it.

On a first attempt, when I looking around, i can see my hdd partition on disk defragmenter. For illustration, here is a screenshot of my disk management.

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag [​IMG]

Before changed like that, the D: drive only partitioned on the right side (the 700gb part) and the volume is not simple, it was something else, i cant remember the name (I do remember the color is not green like that, it was something blue). And the left side (the 150gb part) is unallocated (before i extending it from disk management) from my recent Windows installation on hdd.

And then on the second attempt of installing new copy of Windows (because my sound driver not working on first attempt), i decided to extend the volume of the D: drive. I did the extend volume by right clicking on the 700gb part and extend it. Right after commiting the disk extend, a pop up from windows showed up and said something like 'not enough space for doing that' (i forgot to take screenshot lol *Sad) and the 700gb part change to basic and the color is green like my screenshot. And btw the unallocated part is still unallocated after i did said no from the pop up. And from that moment i confused, i did not checking the disk defragment yet, and decided to try once again to extend it. And it did succeed, it changed to my screenshot above.

And after i have done configure Windows, i wanted defrag the D: drive, and i cant find the D: drive on disk defragment, i googled it, and still have no idea what's wrong.

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag [​IMG]

I know there is some kinda way to defrag it manually from powershell (i searched on this forum), but for daily usage, i think is too hard to do. My question is, do you have any solution to my problem, to make D: drive show on defragment. And then, the drive actually on a same hdd, but in disk management, why is it still have like two partition?

Thank you for answering my question.

:)

moeismu, Jun 25, 2018
  2. Ariel Aba Win User

Convert Basic Disk into Dynamic Disk

Hi Charbel,

It would be helpful if you mentioned the things that you have tried to do that failed so that we can skip those steps. You can follow the steps provided in the article:
    How to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk in Windows 7, to change a basic disk to
    a dynamic one. The instructions are also applicable for Windows 10. You can also check this article:
    Extend a basic volume.

Ensure that you create a back up for your system as well.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jun 25, 2018
  4. After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

no audio on extended display

Is your computer’s Operating System updated?

How about your Audio drivers, can you check if it is updated and can support HDMI audio output?

If your answer to those questions are yes, then you can check these steps to setup audio for your extended display:

• Connect your laptop to the extended display using the HDMI cable.
    • On the lower right side of your task bar, right click on the Audio icon.
    • Select Playback device
    • If you don’t see your extended display (T.V) you can right click on a blank space on the Playback tab and select Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
    • One your extended display (T.V) is showing, please check if it is enable.
    • Then Select OK.

Do a test and check if the audio is now playing on the extended display, if issue still persists, try to restart your computer without removing the HDMI for both devices.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

1. After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag - Similar Threads - extend changed dynamic

2. Not enough diskspace for completing this operation while Extending Dynamic Disk with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough diskspace for completing this operation while Extending Dynamic Disk with...: Operating System : Windows 10Requirement : I am having 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HDD in my desktop. Both are configured as basic disk. OS is accommodated inside the 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HDD split into 2 partitions. Since I am running out of space in the first partition of 2 TB HDD, I...
  3. Not enough diskspace for completing this operation while Extending Dynamic Disk with...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not enough diskspace for completing this operation while Extending Dynamic Disk with...: Operating System : Windows 10Requirement : I am having 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HDD in my desktop. Both are configured as basic disk. OS is accommodated inside the 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HDD split into 2 partitions. Since I am running out of space in the first partition of 2 TB HDD, I...
  4. Not enough diskspace for completing this operation while Extending Dynamic Disk with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to extend Disk Volume without converting it to Dynamic Disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to extend Disk Volume without converting it to Dynamic Disk?: So my D drive(Storage Drive, OS is installed on C) has 100 GB of unallocated space which I would like to merge with my main partition that has 831 GB. But when I try to do so using the wizard, it tells me that it will convert it into Dynamic Disk. I really don't want to...
  6. How to Extend the Windows partition of a Dynamic UEFI/GPT drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Extend the Windows partition of a Dynamic UEFI/GPT drive?: Hi, Have spent all day trying to figure this out - any help would be appreciated. [ATTACH] How do I extend C: to use some or all of the 237GB unallocated space? I don't need a dynamic drive - basic would be fine if that's an option but I cant find a way of converting...
  7. Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dynamic Volumes - Unable to add/extend my main disk: The main disk where I have my boot and system partition is running out of space. I have an extra disk not used in my computer. In the past, I was able (during installation) to use two disks with stripped partitions (RAID-0-like), now however, I cannot. What I have done...
  8. Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Extend partition creating dynamic disk - problem for image backup?: I have an SSD for my system and a regular (1TB) disk for data. I have a partition on the regular disk for an image backup but when I tried to create a new image backup for 1903, it says I need more room. I shrank the D partition and tried to extend the image backup partition....
  9. diskdefrag not showing in extend or dynamic mode

diskdefrag not showing in extend or dynamic mode: Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate' it. On a first attempt, when I looking around, i can see my hdd partition on disk defragmenter. For illustration, here is...
  10. Simple Dynamic Volume Displayed as Two With Same Letter After Extend

Simple Dynamic Volume Displayed as Two With Same Letter After Extend: [img] Is there any way to merge the two "K" volumes / partitions into one? Disk 0 originally looked like Disk 1 (they're broken mirrors actually, with Disk 1 left unperturbed). I wanted to move my data off the C:\ partition and onto a new K:\ partition. So, I resized C:\,...