Windows 10: After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

Discus and support After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moeismu, Jun 25, 2018.

1. moeismu Win User

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag

Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate' it.

On a first attempt, when I looking around, i can see my hdd partition on disk defragmenter. For illustration, here is a screenshot of my disk management.

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag [​IMG]

Before changed like that, the D: drive only partitioned on the right side (the 700gb part) and the volume is not simple, it was something else, i cant remember the name (I do remember the color is not green like that, it was something blue). And the left side (the 150gb part) is unallocated (before i extending it from disk management) from my recent Windows installation on hdd.

And then on the second attempt of installing new copy of Windows (because my sound driver not working on first attempt), i decided to extend the volume of the D: drive. I did the extend volume by right clicking on the 700gb part and extend it. Right after commiting the disk extend, a pop up from windows showed up and said something like 'not enough space for doing that' (i forgot to take screenshot lol *Sad) and the 700gb part change to basic and the color is green like my screenshot. And btw the unallocated part is still unallocated after i did said no from the pop up. And from that moment i confused, i did not checking the disk defragment yet, and decided to try once again to extend it. And it did succeed, it changed to my screenshot above.

And after i have done configure Windows, i wanted defrag the D: drive, and i cant find the D: drive on disk defragment, i googled it, and still have no idea what's wrong.

After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag [​IMG]

I know there is some kinda way to defrag it manually from powershell (i searched on this forum), but for daily usage, i think is too hard to do. My question is, do you have any solution to my problem, to make D: drive show on defragment. And then, the drive actually on a same hdd, but in disk management, why is it still have like two partition?

Thank you for answering my question.

:)

moeismu, Jun 25, 2018
  2. Ariel Aba Win User

Convert Basic Disk into Dynamic Disk

Hi Charbel,

It would be helpful if you mentioned the things that you have tried to do that failed so that we can skip those steps. You can follow the steps provided in the article:
    How to convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk in Windows 7, to change a basic disk to
    a dynamic one. The instructions are also applicable for Windows 10. You can also check this article:
    Extend a basic volume.

Ensure that you create a back up for your system as well.

Regards.

Ariel Aba, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jun 25, 2018
  4. Jarius Tol Win User

no audio on extended display

Is your computer’s Operating System updated?

How about your Audio drivers, can you check if it is updated and can support HDMI audio output?

If your answer to those questions are yes, then you can check these steps to setup audio for your extended display:

• Connect your laptop to the extended display using the HDMI cable.
    • On the lower right side of your task bar, right click on the Audio icon.
    • Select Playback device
    • If you don’t see your extended display (T.V) you can right click on a blank space on the Playback tab and select Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
    • One your extended display (T.V) is showing, please check if it is enable.
    • Then Select OK.

Do a test and check if the audio is now playing on the extended display, if issue still persists, try to restart your computer without removing the HDMI for both devices.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. After extend, changed to dynamic and not showing in diskdefrag - Similar Threads - extend changed dynamic

2. diskdefrag not showing in extend or dynamic mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    diskdefrag not showing in extend or dynamic mode: Hello tenforums, recently I have decided to buy ssd for my laptop. I ended up installing fresh new copy of Windows after failed to 'clone' or 'migrate' it. On a first attempt, when I looking around, i can see my hdd partition on disk defragmenter. For illustration, here is...
  3. Simple Dynamic Volume Displayed as Two With Same Letter After Extend

Simple Dynamic Volume Displayed as Two With Same Letter After Extend: [img] Is there any way to merge the two "K" volumes / partitions into one? Disk 0 originally looked like Disk 1 (they're broken mirrors actually, with Disk 1 left unperturbed). I wanted to move my data off the C:\ partition and onto a new K:\ partition. So, I resized C:\,...
  4. Windows 10 UAC not showing dialog after change of settings?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 UAC not showing dialog after change of settings?: I selected the option in Windows 10 UAC not to dim the screen (3 step down), now when it is expected to launch it doesn't open a modal dialog box. Task Manager reports Consent UI for administrative applications is running, but I can't see it! I ran User Account Control...
  5. Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk

Partition Change created a Dynamic Disk from a Basic Disk: [Apologies if I have posed this in the wrong place; thanks for moving it if necessary!] - Good morning Folks! *Smile I thought this would be simple: 1TB HDD with Two 500GB Partitions E: & Z:. Having available space in E: and needing more in Z: I performed a "Shrink" on...
  6. Best Dynamic DNS Client Updater and Dynamic DNS service for hostnames.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best Dynamic DNS Client Updater and Dynamic DNS service for hostnames.: Do you guys recommend a DDNS service that will update your own private domain name whenever your ip address changes? Namecheap seems good. It doesn't appear to make you use one of their domain names or charge you for using your own domain name. Registration seems to be...
  7. No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended: I just recently upgraded from an earlier build of Windows 10 to the latest build 11099. That went okay. But the problem was when I decided to extend the system partition (as it had only 3GB free left), after rebooting to extend the partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard (it...
  8. Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk

Cannot change dynamic disk to a basic disk: Running windows 10, due to some personal reasons want to change my dynamic disk to a basic disk.But the option for the same is greyed out in Disk Management.If anyone posts a guide to accomplish the same I would be really grateful*Smile 30309
  9. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement: Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process...
  10. Is there any way to show extended detail in the details pane ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there any way to show extended detail in the details pane ?: Hai Im new here.. *Smile Recently I was trying to add comments to movie folders so that i can keep a brief description about it when i click on it. It was easy to add comment then i had a bit trouble to get the comment getting displayed in the details pane...after playing...