Windows 10: After hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions

Discus and support After hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I've searched high and low on Google for the specific issue that I'm having, but I can't seem to figure this out. About a year ago,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnhawke, Apr 4, 2017.

1. johnhawke Win User

After hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions

Hi everyone,

I've searched high and low on Google for the specific issue that I'm having, but I can't seem to figure this out.

About a year ago, I built my own computer. I have my OS (Windows 10) installed on a Plextor M6 256 SSD. Today, for about the fourth time in a year, my computer became unresponsive during normal use. After a forced hard reset, I was taken to a black screen with the 0xc00000e error, telling me that a required device was inaccessible. After a quick Google search, I found many answers saying that this problem was because of a corrupted boot record.

I followed the steps recommended by Microsoft. First, I attempted automated startup recovery. This didn't work. Then I attempted to use bootrec to fix the problem. This resulted in the tool telling me that no Windows installations were detected.

I decided then to open diskpart. The disk itself was detected, but whenever I listed volumes, nothing showed up for that disk. No partitions or volumes were listed.

I've since recovered the drive by flashing a Clonezilla image that I had as a backup, so everything is up and running now. However, I am curious as to why this problem keeps happening. I've downloaded the diagnostic tools from Plextor for my disk, and it says that everything is fine. I've also run a Windows memory diagnostic, which has returned no errors.

My assumption is that the hard reset is causing some kind of partition table corruption. But, that still leaves the issue of why the computer is freezing up to begin with unsolved. Any suggestions/possible causes to investigate would be much appreciated!

:)

johnhawke, Apr 4, 2017

2. How to delete partition of hard disk

I had created a 15gb partition of my hard disk. But now i wanna delete it. so from disk management i formatted it then chose delete volume.

After that it says its unallocated.

I cant choose the option extend volume in other partitions

Neither can i do anything in the 15 gb partition

Simorize Thapa Magar, Apr 4, 2017
  3. How do I reinstall Windows 10 clean on the same Drive but with different partitions?

Hi,

My suggestion would be to use the built-in disk management tool to delete the D: partition and expand the C: partition. After you have done this, if you go in to Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> Reset, you can format your hard drive, whilst
    keeping Windows 10 activated.

How to Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions

• Use Cortana and search 'Create and format Hard Drive partitions'
    • Right click on the partition you wish to delete (in this case DAfter hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions :), and select 'Delete Volume'
    • Right click on the partition you want to expand (in this case CAfter hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions :) and select 'Extend Volume'

Please use the instructions in
    this post
    on how to reset your PC.

coreyd_0512, Apr 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Freezes are hard to resolve- there's usually no log entry related to the problem.

What I suggest is
    a. test your hardware -stress test it.
    b. test your drive (Crystal Diskinfo (free) for starters, Macrorit Discscanner (free) for a surface scan

Make sure your RAM is all the same type and meets your system specs.

Do not overclock your PC.
    Check for any overheating.

Use system defaults for your page file.

Unfortunately your freezes are so infrequent, a process of elimination simply isn't feasible.

You can do checks on your file system and Windows files
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

and from an admin command prompt run
    sfc /scannow

Make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Beyond that it could be drivers, installed software, some hardware incompatibility....

To repair the boot problem you encounter, a Macrium Reflect boot medium has a useful tool. Also available on Kyhi's boot DVD/flash drive available from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    What do you mean by the term "hard reset"?

When was the last time you did a clean install of Windows 10?

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. After hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions - Similar Threads - hard reset disk

2. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk Partition: is this fine if i part and keep hard disk in this way? or, do i need to merge the two parts of F? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/d3178c7a-6b68-4ed7-ba97-2e3ff2d5d69b
  3. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Disk Partition: is this fine if i part and keep hard disk in this way? or, do i need to merge the two parts of F? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/d3178c7a-6b68-4ed7-ba97-2e3ff2d5d69b
  4. Partition / Volume disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition / Volume disk: I bought brand new laptopGot a Flash drive to move the Microsoft Windows installation.While I’m in the installation window, I’ve notice that the installer isn’t recognize my Disk.I followed some YouTube tutorials and clear my partition from the command list . Now, while I’m...
  5. Partition / Volume disk

Partition / Volume disk: I bought brand new laptopGot a Flash drive to move the Microsoft Windows installation.While I’m in the installation window, I’ve notice that the installer isn’t recognize my Disk.I followed some YouTube tutorials and clear my partition from the command list . Now, while I’m...
  6. No Partition Access after Hard Reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Partition Access after Hard Reset: I had my old laptop Dell Inspiron 17 5767 partitioned and running Windows ten pro on Drive 1 and Windows Insider Preview Dev on drive 2. After doing a hard reset of drive 1 drive 2 seems to have been perfectly preserved except that it won't boot. The choose operating system...
  7. No Partition Access after Hard Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Partition Access after Hard Reset: I had my old laptop Dell Inspiron 17 5767 partitioned and running Windows ten pro on Drive 1 and Windows Insider Preview Dev on drive 2. After doing a hard reset of drive 1 drive 2 seems to have been perfectly preserved except that it won't boot. The choose operating system...
  8. No Partition Access after Hard Reset

9. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Partition: I had made a partition before reinstalling windows 10 Pro. After installation I wanted to partition my C Drive Windows which I did, but I got 500 gb space without losing any space in C drive, how did that happen....
  10. hard disk partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk partition: please someone tell me solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/908a861d-47ff-4723-aa69-f40e64023410"