Windows 10: ? After I Moved Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders

Discus and support ? After I Moved Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Question After I "Moved" Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders From SSD to Other Internal HDD Drive ------------ So the process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phaedruspress, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ? After I Moved Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders

Question After I "Moved" Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders From SSD to Other Internal HDD Drive

------------

So the process was simple enough and relatively successful. Everything in the aforementioned folders is now on the HDD under specific names. When I test it and say create an empty folder in Downloads on the SSD it appears in the "Downloads" folder on the HDD. I probably did not understand all of the nuances of the procedure since I was under the impression that now documents, pictures and downloads would no longer be saved to the library folders on the SSD but ONLY to the HDD. That does not appear to be the case. I wanted to relieve the "writing" of files to the SSD and just have them written to the HDD. By moving the folders to the HDD it seems like I have done nothing more then make a back up copy of the folders on the SSD. Is there a way to have downloads, documents etc only be written to the HDD and not the SSD even though I have booted into the SSD? TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, Jan 1, 2018
  2. JP03833 Win User

Migrated c:drive to an external drive, which transformed drive to Documents folder

I recently migrated my C: hard drive to an SSD device. I want to move the Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos libraries back over to a large hard drive I:

I inadvertently moved the Documents folder/library to my I: drive. I expected to see the Documents folder in the I: drive, but it appears the I: is the Documents folder.

Document library folder- Original Title

Now when I try to move the Documents or I: library I get an Access Denied.

JP03833, Jan 1, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Changing Storage Location

Hi Bryan, that will be no problem . . .

You cannot move the Users folder, but you can move all the contained Library folders, like Documents, Pictures . . . etc.

Open Windows File Explorer

In the right hand pane, right click the Documents Library folder and choose Properties

Click on the Location Tab on that dialog

In the Location box, type D:\Documents then click apply and OK, confirm the move

That will move your Documents Library folder and all references to it onto your D Drive in a folder named Documents

You can do the same for all the other library folders (Pictures, Videos . . . etc). I would advise against moving the Desktop folder

Please note for each folder, you must specify a folder, e.g. Pictures will move to D:\Pictures if you do not specify a folder, the files will end up all over your D Drive . ..

DaveM121, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

? After I Moved Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders

I use Preferences or Options in my Browsers to specify a particular Folder on the D: partition, usually named as Downloads, and everything goes into that Folder for manipulating later.

There is a procedure for moving particular Folders in File Explorer. Right-click the desired Folder, click Properties, click the Location tab and follow the prompts. BUT, be sure to create a Folder of the same name on the D: drive first then point to that location.

Berton, Jan 1, 2018
  5. >I use Preferences or Options in my Browsers to specify a particular Folder on the D: partition, usually named as Downloads

Didn't think of that. Thanks. I'll try that for downloads. I am assuming both Firefox and Chrome have that option.

>
    There is a procedure for moving particular Folders in File Explorer...

Right. That's what I did with the Downloads, Pictures and Documents folders (moved them all to the D drive) using the technique you referenced above thinking that everything would now be only written to those folders on the D drive and no longer on the SSD drive but as I pointed out that is not the case. The folders are of the same name but obviously the path is different.

6. essenbe Win User
    When you moved the folders it asks whether you want to move everything from C to the new folder, did you click yes? If you did, that folder should not appear in your C:\Users\Your User Name\ . If you open file explorer and right click on one of the moved files and select properties, it should show you where the file is located. It should be located where you moved it to.

If you clicked no, there is probably a copy of the files in both places.

essenbe, Jan 1, 2018
  7. spunk Win User
    If you were successful moving your user files, When you click on the Documents shortcut, either from the Start Button, This PC, or in File Explorer, it should open the Documents folder on the D: Drive HDD and not on the C: drive. In this Documents folder, if you choose to Create a new folder, it will create it in the D:\Documents folder.

spunk, Jan 1, 2018
  8. essenbe Win User

See if this helps

[youtube]kM1vedqMHew[/youtube]

essenbe, Jan 1, 2018
  9. >When you moved the folders it asks whether you want to move everything from C to the new folder, did you click yes?

I did or at least I believe I did. I must have since all of the files and folders that were currently on C are now on D in their respective folders. Unless I missed an option and I am wondering if there was just an option to click transfer or move if there is perhaps I clicked transfer instead of move. I'm not home now but I did put some info in an email to myself since I knew I would be asking this question tonight.

>If you open file explorer and right click on one of the moved files and select properties, it should show you where the file is located. It should be located where you moved it to.

When I opened explorer when I was home and right clicked on one of the files and the example I emailed to myself is "P51 User Guide.pdf" which is in the docs folder the properties of that file do in fact indicate the location where everything has been copied to which is D:\C SSD\Documents." "D" of course represents the D drive or the internal HDD. "C SSD" was to inform me that the item came from the "C" SSD drive and then the name of the folder which is "Documents" just as it appears on the C drive.

But everything still remains on the C drive and now I have a copy on the D drive : ) I guess I could start over and perhaps see if I missed a step but I thought that I did it right. Thanks for your time.

10. Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned previously I am not home now but will see what happens when I try that tomorrow. Thanks.

11. essenbe See if this helps

snip

Well that looks interesting. I will see if I can figure out what I did when I get home tomorrow by following the vid. Thank you.

12. Kbird Win User
    If it was done properly the Files will all be on D:\ now

Win10 will also I find still keep the Original folder on C:\ eg C:\Users\Pictures etc etc but those folders will be empty

If you Moved the location but Copied the Old files over with Windows explorer you will have two Copies now.... but all new documents / folders etc will be created on D:\

did you see this series of Tutorials from Brink ?

Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Kbird, Jan 1, 2018
  13. Berton Win User

I did forget to mention that I did it from within C:\Users\MY_NAME, not from within Libraries or Quick Access. It really shouldn't make a difference but sometimes????

Berton, Jan 1, 2018
  14. Kbird Win User
    You did but he / she didn't say how they did it and had already done it, so you didn't put them wrong *Smile but you can do it do it from C:\Users or from Quick Access , not from Libraries as you don't get the Location Tab AFAIK.

Kbird, Jan 1, 2018
  15. Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I anticipated getting home this morning to try out the recommendations but have been delayed. Tomorrow or the next day I will have an opportunity to make good use of the help and no doubt get back and mark this resolved. Thanks again.

Thema:

1. ? After I Moved Libraries ie. Documents, Pictures and Download Folders - Similar Threads - Moved Libraries Documents

2. Downloads and Pictures folder is the Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads and Pictures folder is the Documents folder: Hello. I just reset my PC and I was trying to move the downloads, pictures and documents folder from Local Disk C: to Local Disk D:. I clicked properties>location>move and moved them to Local Disk D:, but I think i forgot to create a folder while adding them separately, so...
  3. Downloads and Pictures folder is the Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads and Pictures folder is the Documents folder: Hello. I just reset my PC and I was trying to move the downloads, pictures and documents folder from Local Disk C: to Local Disk D:. I clicked properties>location>move and moved them to Local Disk D:, but I think i forgot to create a folder while adding them separately, so...
  4. Downloads and Pictures folder is the Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder: Somehow my "Pictures Folder" is now in my "Downloads Folder." When I delete my downloads, I also delete my pictures which I don't want to do!. How do I make these 2 separate folders again.?...
  6. Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder: Somehow my "Pictures Folder" is now in my "Downloads Folder." When I delete my downloads, I also delete my pictures which I don't want to do!. How do I make these 2 separate folders again.?...
  7. Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder

8. Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems moving Documents & Pictures folders from OneDrive folder: Hi. I have a new laptop which I am just setting up to my liking and I didn't want OneDrive. This may have been a mistake but I have cleaned out all the files from the cloud and uninstalled OneDrive from my computer. I have been left with a OneDrive folder in my users/name...
  9. Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Documents-Pictures Folders to Separate Partition: I'd like some opinion. I formatted the 16.7 GB RESTORE partition to clean it out to put documents and pictures there to minimize the C: backup size and just keep them separate. Turns out the 16.7 GB is too small for putting a backup but I could put documents. Does it make...
  10. My Pictures and Documents folder are in my Downloads folder

My Pictures and Documents folder are in my Downloads folder: I seem to have duplication of folders. Under "This PC" I have a normal looking folder structure and clicking on those folders takes me to the appropriate files. For example: "This PC > Documents" has "Acrobat, Adobe, and AirDroid" as the first three folders. If i navigate to...