Windows 10: After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds

Discus and support After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Dell Latitude E6430, which is exhibiting a rather odd problem. I removed the included 5400RPM 500GB hard drive and replaced it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by imrazor, Jul 9, 2018.

1. imrazor Win User

After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds

I recently purchased a Dell Latitude E6430, which is exhibiting a rather odd problem. I removed the included 5400RPM 500GB hard drive and replaced it with an SSD. The first Windows 10 installation attempt failed with a message to the effect that there were no bootable partitions. Following some online advice, I reset the BIOS (which switched from legacy to UEFI mode) and tried to reinstall. This got me further.

Now at first boot, I see a prompt that says "No bootable devices" followed by a prompt to hit F1, F2 or F5. Hitting F1 tries to boot again - and the second attempt succeeded. The laptop booted up and I was able to complete setup.

But now every time the laptop boots, I'm presented with this annoying prompt. So far hitting F1 to retry boot has always succeeded. Not sure what the problem might be. I tried "cleaning" the disk once with BOOTPART from the recovery shell, but that did not improve the problem once Win10 was re-installed.

Any other suggestions?

:)

imrazor, Jul 9, 2018

2. Windows Updates always fail then immediately succeed???

Whenever Windows Updates are downloaded and installed, they always fail on first try and then immediately succeed on the second. This is what appears in the update history list. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Not a big issue, but
    annoying and clutters up the history list.

Donald Eager, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Windows boot logo,

Hi

Tried with suggested steps but not succeed,

still can see HP boot logo

Please suggest

AmardeepBhingardeve, Jul 9, 2018
  4. chideock Win User

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

1. After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds - Similar Threads - install 1st boot

2. KB5028166 pending install but install always fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5028166 pending install but install always fails: KB5028166 pending install after pausing update because it always always fails install. Resulting in a laptop that will not boot anymore.I tried it twice and I can revert it with restore point, but this is the end regarding updates, else laptop can't be used anymore.I paused...
  3. KB5028166 pending install but install always fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5028166 pending install but install always fails: KB5028166 pending install after pausing update because it always always fails install. Resulting in a laptop that will not boot anymore.I tried it twice and I can revert it with restore point, but this is the end regarding updates, else laptop can't be used anymore.I paused...
  4. The 20H2 update always fails, can I solve it or mark it not to retry?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The 20H2 update always fails, can I solve it or mark it not to retry?: Over the last few months, it has failed twice thru auto update, and also once when I tried the manual update (Windows10Upgrade9252.exe). It always fails the same way on this particular PC (Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, i5-7600, Corsair LPX 2400MHz, Asus GTX1060 3GB Turbo). I allow...
  5. 1st Boot Fails, 2nd Boot Works (Bios?)

in Windows 10 Support
    1st Boot Fails, 2nd Boot Works (Bios?): Greetings, So over the last weeks I tried Ubuntu Mate and Zorin. I installed each OS on my Mini PC twice and although interesting they weren't stable enough to switch to. I then installed Win10 again and it's actually zippy and works fine. Except for -- -- a strange booting...
  6. 32b Win-10 ISO install on DVD, fails after 1st DVD boot process reboots

32b Win-10 ISO install on DVD, fails after 1st DVD boot process reboots: I have a fully functional, HP wx8000 system: with a 32b, Tyan S2663 MB'd, updated to the latest BIOS JQ.W1.19US, and 1.022GB of motherboard RAM, running with Win XL, an IDE 80GB hard drive, and an IDE CD-ROM. My BIOS does not support booting from a USB stick, so I have to...
  7. Booting problems. Failing to boot jus after installating

Booting problems. Failing to boot jus after installating: My pc laptop get stuck on "getting ready" just after installation and it has done dat several tyms. I just needed to knw dat myt it that my hard drive is demaged or something else. Can windows actually finish installation, restart itself and then get stuck on, "getting...
  8. Successful updates retries and fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Successful updates retries and fails: KB4020102 was updated successfully on 26/5/2017. I usually have metered wifi. Today I connected to ethernet. Same KB is trying again and again. Now it hangs. Please see pics below. [img] [img] What to do now? 85573
  9. Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat?: I've just clean installed the first computer on our little office network to Windows 10 and I'm seeing some strange and unreliable behaviour for connecting to workgroup shares. We are not using domains or Microsoft accounts. The Windows 10 computer is just using a local...
  10. WiFi not working of 1st boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working of 1st boot: I have quite a few questions, but I will start with this one: When I boot up I cannot get connected to my WiFi. The only way to get it to work is to shutdown and boot up again, then all is well. I never had this problem until Win 10 upgrade. Any ideas? 26804