Windows 10: after last update: windows shuts down but leaves error message in log

Discus and support after last update: windows shuts down but leaves error message in log in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife's machine works fine. And it shuts fine. But after the last update KB3176938 there is a "not shut properly" message in the event viewer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rboris, Sep 4, 2016.

1. rboris Win User

after last update: windows shuts down but leaves error message in log

My wife's machine works fine.
    And it shuts fine.
    But after the last update KB3176938 there is a "not shut properly" message in the event viewer.

On my own machine there is a new wrinkle too: previously when I shut down I could bring the computer back by tapping on the keyboard but now I have to push the on/off buttom on the computer.

I am adding my machine into the mix because something has happened to the shutdown sequence with this new build. While it affects the two computers differently it is the same process that is at issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

rboris, Sep 4, 2016

2. Shutdown

Since the last update of Windows 10 on my computer it will not shut down. I get the message about the task manager shutting down background files but it times out and returns to the logged in window. Is this a simple fix or what? I keep clicking the shut
    down anyway to ignore the problem and shut down.

GaryMiller19, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 keeps restarting after 2 minutes

My computer also reboots after 2-5 minutes after displaying a blue screen. The blue screen cannot be captured and there is no error code. A message says computer is shutting down and capturing a log file. However, today it displayed additional message,
    "Search for Kernaldata_inpage_" something something. Computer shut down before I could write down entire name. I searched entire OS drive but could not find a match on partial name. I looked in Windows Log and Temp files. There is a Memory Dump file that
    matches the latest shut down time. Where do I find this error file????? Perhaps that info will provide an error code.

Machine will not stay up long enough to switch back to Windows 8.1. Please respond!

MaeLouLarson, Sep 4, 2016
  4. after last update: windows shuts down but leaves error message in log

I have KB3176938 installed and have not noticed any changes in the shutdown of my system(s).

Are you sure that you were not previously putting your system to SLEEP vs SHUTDOWN. As you describe it now, that is what should happen. When I put either of my W10 systems asleep, a single key stroke will wake them up.

storageman, Sep 4, 2016
  5. rboris Win User
    that is possible.
    that the update changed the power settings on both machines.
    my wife's machine is on balanced and mine is on high performance.
    what setting do i need to change to revert to the earlier situation (on mine)?

thanks.

rboris, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

after last update: windows shuts down but leaves error message in log

1. after last update: windows shuts down but leaves error message in log - Similar Threads - last update shuts

2. computer will not shut down after last windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer will not shut down after last windows 10 update: After running the Windows 10 update, my computer will not shutdown but instead goes into hibernate mode when I shutdown. When I open the lid after the shutdown, computer is already on and is at screen where I am prompted to choose the user. I want it to shutdown completely...
  3. User shows last person logged in even after logging off, shutting down, or restarting

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    User shows last person logged in even after logging off, shutting down, or restarting: Hello, I have been managing laptops on both Intune and AD and it seems whenever any user logs off, restarts, or shuts down, when they log back on they see themselves as the last person to log on. Is there a way to disable this on both fronts? Thank you in advance...
  4. Error message keeps popping up after Shut-Down and reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error message keeps popping up after Shut-Down and reset: [ATTACH] So, every time I reboot or shut-down my laptop this error message pops up. I hope you guys can help me. Thanks! https://preview.redd.it/2gouq97lqk561.png?width=412&format=png&auto=webp&s=2ae2ce24c21e854ede31cc9658f45ba7d05437cf submitted by /u/FISH_bucket44...
  5. Error message when shutting down the PC?

Error message when shutting down the PC?: When I shut down my PC I get a message that I can't read because it disappears immediately and the typical Windows sound is also I ask for your help Fehlermeldung beim Herunterfahren vom PC?
  6. Error message saying Flow Will Now Shut Down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error message saying Flow Will Now Shut Down: I get an irritating message every time I boot up the computer saying "Error occurred - Flow will now shutdown. What is Flow and how do I get rid of thisirritating message?? It comes up with an "F" logo on the taskbar but a thorough search in the computer fails to find the...
  7. Windows 10 shuts down with message

Windows 10 shuts down with message: On my laptop, for some reason, at a completely random time, a window that looks like some sort of coding screen (completely black with text being typed in). A quick message pops up in it, with the only thing I can catch before it disappears is something about 32 and shutting...
  8. Blue Screen Message after Shut Down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Message after Shut Down: Posting this issue here due to it being a blue screen pop up. Has anyone experienced this? Upon shutting down within maybe four seconds we get the following blue screen. Smiley Face icon- "Your pc ran into a problem and need to restart. We're just collecting some error info...
  9. PC shuts down seconds after logging in

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down seconds after logging in: It just started happening about 35 minutes prior to posting this. I was burning a dvd and the pc attempted to shut down, but I kept mashing the escape key until the dvd finished burning. I then let it shut down. But upon reboot and login, cmd starts and then pc shuts down...
  10. Logging Out and Shutting Down with Error(s)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Logging Out and Shutting Down with Error(s): Each time I log out of my computer to shut it down, an error pops up and the computer chimes letting me know about the error. I have saved the Error Logs as text files that I am uploading to this thread. I hope someone can help me get this issue fixed. Thanks in advance!...