Windows 10: After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu

Discus and support After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folks, My laptop has lost MS EDGE and the start menu. This started after the latest Win updates on 14-Dec. Should I try to restore to an earlier... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rogpill, Dec 15, 2016.

1. rogpill Win User

After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu

Folks,
    My laptop has lost MS EDGE and the start menu. This started after the latest Win updates on 14-Dec.
    Should I try to restore to an earlier date? or maybe remove the update?
    Please advise
    Roger*Huh

:)

rogpill, Dec 15, 2016

2. Windows button,Cortana & search function doesn't work [SOLVED]

Hello All,

Had new Toshiba laptop since beginning of December 2015, came with Win 8 + free upgrade to Win 10.

All worked fine until beginning of January, when I lost Start Menu, Cortana, Action Centre, Edge and Store..

I have the Contextual Menu ( Right Click on Start button).

Have tried all the recommended cures/fixes on this and other forums, including Windows refresh from USB memory stick

Latest run of scannow reports: "resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

Desperate to find solution....

Ken.Denman, Dec 15, 2016
  3. cgene70 Win User
    lost my Edge icon and printer icon on my desktop

Original Title: after latest update in win.10

After downloading the latest update for win.10, I've lost my Edge icon and printer icon on my desktop. I know I can uninstall latest preview built 1511, but is this a wise thing to do. I've tried to replace the Edge icon by holding down shift button & right
    click Edge icon in task bar, but all I get is the blank generic white icon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

cgene70, Dec 15, 2016
  4. After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu

You can try the restore, but you could also delete and recreate your user. Here's a video on how to do it without resetting your system. You will not lose your programs, but you will have to rebuild your Start Menu and desktop shortcuts.

[youtube]jvjP2wSBvHE[/youtube]

OldGuyGeek, Dec 15, 2016
  5. I would first ask, is your data safe?

I would then ask, did any of these suspected updates fail? You should be able to get into Settings, if start is completely dead, by typing Settings in the Cortana Search bar. Settings app should appear at top, click, then click on updates and when that opens click on update history. Note that at top of this screen is option to uninstall updates.

I would then uninstall the most recent updates if you suspect updates. I would go also into the advance options in Updates and shut off give me updates for other products.

If you are a Home user these updates are just going to come back unless you are on a wireless connection and you turn on "Metered Connection".

The restore point would be my next step. You will see it posted in many threads, you need to have an Image backup.

Whether you follow these steps or OldGuyGeek, if this is more serious, a restoration from an Image will save you hours. (Program Installs, product keys you may own, settings, preferences etc) If you are looking for a product Macrium Reflect is free and has a lot of support on these forums. Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu

1. After latest win UD lost Edge and Start Menu - Similar Threads - latest lost Edge

2. Lost start menu function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost start menu function: Keep clicking on start menu but it will not open. I tried to use the shortcut key on the keyboard and it is still the same. How can I open it? I have Windows 10 Acer laptop and it is working yesterday....
  3. Lost Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Start Menu: Open immediately to web login page. Cannot access Shut Down menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-start-menu/659a5a5a-28c6-43ab-93e3-b791b8ebcbab
  4. Lost Start Menu

Lost Start Menu: Open immediately to web login page. Cannot access Shut Down menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-start-menu/659a5a5a-28c6-43ab-93e3-b791b8ebcbab
  5. No start menu after latest Windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No start menu after latest Windows upgrade: Dear Microsoft, After my Laptop (Toshiba Kirabook) updates itself with the latest Windows upgrade the system logging in extremely slow (5 minutes) and have no start menu. Once the PC logged in and running there are no performance issues just the missing start menu (and the...
  6. Start menu inaccessible after latest update

Start menu inaccessible after latest update: I installed an update last night, and I am now running Windows 10 Home, version 1903, OS Build 18362.239. The Start button now does nothing. I always used that access to turn my computer off. How do I fix it? Troubleshooting didn't fix it....
  7. Lost Start Menu

Lost Start Menu: After the latest update, my Windows 10 laptop seems 'stuck' on tiles. I loathe tiles. I want my start menu back, and when the tiles are active, the start menu doesn't work. For some reason, I'm also again back with Cortana 'active.' Cortana is clearly the work of the...
  8. Start Menu, Notifications, Edge not opening since latest update

Start Menu, Notifications, Edge not opening since latest update: Hi all, I'm brand spanking new to this forum, so if this issue has already been posted by someone else, I apologize. Since the most recent update/update attempt (either 10/4/16 or 10/5/16, not sure which day), I can no longer open Start Menu, Notifications, Edge, Windows...
  9. Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.: My machine reboot last night, likely due to an update that got pushed out, and now I can no longer click on the start menu. Windows key does not pull it up either. Also, the volume button in the bottom right of the screen, I cannot click on that either. I can right click on...
  10. Lost Start Menu and Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Start Menu and Search: For whatever reason I have lost the use of my Start Menu and Search function. Is there any way to get the 'Settings' page open without the Start Menu? Winkey + I did it. 6925