Windows 10: After moving Shutdown slow, File Explorer requires manual refresh

Discus and support After moving Shutdown slow, File Explorer requires manual refresh in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After moving this weekend, I came across two issues after setting up my desktop in the new location. As far as I can tell, this is the only major... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KaiserTsar, Jul 27, 2016.

1. After moving Shutdown slow, File Explorer requires manual refresh

After moving this weekend, I came across two issues after setting up my desktop in the new location. As far as I can tell, this is the only major change to my computer that may have caused the issues.

Firstly, before I had internet reconnected, I found that shutdown was taking an exceptionally long time: 2-3 minutes before the blue shutdown screen even came up, and then 5-6 minutes on that screen itself. This has persisted several days now. Restarting doesn't seem to have any delay from before.

Secondly, and more worrisome: File Explorer has started requiring me to manually refresh the view whenever I do any file operation, such as making a new folder, renaming something, copy/pasting, deleting, etc. Otherwise, it shows no difference. Furthermore, after a restart today, I also noticed that right clicking the start menu caused the options that should normally show up to disappear, but not in any semblance of order. Sometimes, right clicking gives one option, sometimes all of them. I've attached several pictures for this (although 90% of right clicking gives only 1 random option from the list).

I'm wondering if something physically came loose while moving. I've moved my desktop around just as much as anyone else and never had these issues before. The only differences in my setup between the old and new place are that I had to add a modem for internet here and that I changed around what pieces of hardware were plugged into the power strip together... but my hunch is that doesn't actually make sense relating to this issue.

Thoughts?

:)

KaiserTsar, Jul 27, 2016

2. Slow refresh of charm/action icons and moving files

I didn't say my computer is slow. I use only standard Microsoft software on a standard i7 Surface Pro.

Everything works fast. Only the first time you open the action centre, the icons are refreshing late. Same as the file refresh in Explorer. This occurs when you move files from one place to another.

So Disk cleanup is not helping here

Edwin de Kuiper, Jul 27, 2016
  3. TiKe75 Win User
    Windows 10 booting / shutdown / disk access very slow

Dear community,

recently my Windows 10 Home is very slow to boot up, takes ages (10-15min) after shutdown is clicked, to start the shutdown process, which takes ages again and is as well extremely slow when opening the explorer after a new usb hard drive is connected. Detecting
    it is as well a question of several minutes.

Do I have to re-install Windows 10 completely? It was pre-installed as I bought this (new) computer, so I don't know the product key or what else is required...

Thanks for your help

Timo

TiKe75, Jul 27, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

After moving Shutdown slow, File Explorer requires manual refresh

Nothing would have come loose on your machine. Otherwise you would not be able to boot up. Sounds like it was just unplugged and not shut down properly, so Windows is having to do maintenance to fix things. I would do a chkdisk, sfc /scannow and run the DISM check. DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

bro67, Jul 27, 2016
Thema:

After moving Shutdown slow, File Explorer requires manual refresh

1. After moving Shutdown slow, File Explorer requires manual refresh - Similar Threads - moving Shutdown slow

2. New files only appear after manual refresh

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New files only appear after manual refresh: Hi. I am using W11 23H2 and I have a question about the issue of manually refreshing the download directory every time I download new files to view them? Isn't there a possibility for those files to appear automatically without my intervention? I should mention that I have...
  3. New files only appear after manual refresh

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New files only appear after manual refresh: Hi. I am using W11 23H2 and I have a question about the issue of manually refreshing the download directory every time I download new files to view them? Isn't there a possibility for those files to appear automatically without my intervention? I should mention that I have...
  4. My PC does not boot after "Restart" is pressed. Requires to be manually shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC does not boot after "Restart" is pressed. Requires to be manually shutdown.: My PC boots up normally as it should when just, booting it up.However, if I choose the restart option in my Windows it does not restart.It shuts down, boots up and 'freezes' on the ROG screen where I should be able to press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS.The F2 and DEL key is not...
  5. My PC does not boot after "Restart" is pressed. Requires to be manually shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC does not boot after "Restart" is pressed. Requires to be manually shutdown.: My PC boots up normally as it should when just, booting it up.However, if I choose the restart option in my Windows it does not restart.It shuts down, boots up and 'freezes' on the ROG screen where I should be able to press F2 or DEL to enter BIOS.The F2 and DEL key is not...
  6. My PC does not boot after "Restart" is pressed. Requires to be manually shutdown.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows Explorer Requires Constant Refreshing?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Requires Constant Refreshing?: My Windows 10 64-bit workstation is very stable, and has been so for at least 2 years. Never crashes or locks up. Easily the best and most reliable Windows workstation I've ever owned. However, recently when I move files or do file-related things in Windows Explorer, the...
  8. How to manually refresh File Explorer? F5 does not work

in Windows 10 Support
    How to manually refresh File Explorer? F5 does not work: How can I manually enforce refresh File Explorer view? If I press F5 key then from the right side a "Project" pane appears with entries like "PC screen only", "Duplicate", "Extend", ....) So whats that? Is F5 (accidentially) false-assigned? How can re-assign "normal"...
  9. File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search: Using Windows 10 Home. This problem only happens if I'm performing a search. If I search within a folder for say *.* and then delete a file, the list of files does not refresh. The file remains listed even though it's been deleted. If I manually refresh then the file...
  10. File Explorer Requiring Screen Refresh to Be Correct

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Requiring Screen Refresh to Be Correct: I am troubleshooting an issue for a neighbor. When using File Explorer (or while on the desktop), if he tries to delete a file or folder, rename it, move it, etc. the open file explorer window (or the desktop) does not change to reflect the action unless he refreshes the...