Windows 10: After new update I can't find how to search for files

Discus and support After new update I can't find how to search for files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since the new update, the ******* at MS have re-installed Cortana, and taken away the search window, except for her. When I try to search for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by therealsimpsons, Sep 24, 2016.

1. After new update I can't find how to search for files

Since the new update, the ******* at MS have re-installed Cortana, and taken away the search window, except for her. When I try to search for a specific file, such as a .jpeg I get Bing on the internet. How do I get my search window back? How do I get rid of Cortana...not interested in any of that crap.

I saw some other responses here saying to get Classic Shell. Is it safe? Where can I get it?

Thanks,

:)

therealsimpsons, Sep 24, 2016

2. how to search to find files n computer after update to windows10

Have you checked the Documents directory? The default save locations for Files is that directory. Since you're the user, then we're yet to know..

You can search files using the Start menu search, by tyoping the file name.

Why not try to get some help from Turbotax? they should be the one who can identify the default save location of your files.

Gina_on_the_thread, Sep 24, 2016
  3. how to search to find files n computer after update to windows10

I cannot find Turbo Tax files on my computer? Where do I look and how do I search?

pilgrim2pipiYF, Sep 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

After new update I can't find how to search for files

Hi: Cortana:
    a. I don't use Cortana. I just hide its search box via a setting you can see if you rt click on the taskbar.
    b. You can try this:
    Cortana - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

It's often worth searching thru and browsing the many clear, practical Tutorials here to find answers.
    Windows 10 Tutorials

- sorry, I don't understand that.
    The search bar in the taskbar is still available, Cortana can be launched e.g. Windows key + S, hey cortana....
    MS has removed 'My Stuff' as such, but there are now Documents, Videos, Photos etc categories.
    Otherwise same in build 1511 and 1607.

Note: searching your files/folders with Cortana is limited to what's indexed.

Classic Shell start menu - just search for it. It's really easy to find. You get it from numerous sites on the internet.
    I use this- it's a very configurable start menu, with a search box whose range is -yes- very configurable (files/folders, start menu, universal apps, settings, internet...) just like its display format, which can expand in columns across the screen like XP's or look like Win 7's. No tiles.

If you install it it's just a program you can exit at any time. With it installed, you can still launch win 10's start menu.
    If you have a categorised folder/subfolder start menu, Win 10's fails badly to express it, extracting all shortcuts in subfolders and arranging them in alphabetical order. Useless- awful.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2016
  5. Thank you for the help. Appreciated. This forum is awesome.

therealsimpsons, Sep 24, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Now if you really want a fast search - find-as-you-type - many recommend (free)
    Everything by void tools ( get the 1.4beta version unless it's been updated since - as this adds useful GUI search options.
    Ultrasearch

I like the older
    Locate32

These quickly build an index of ALL files and folders - much more quickly than Windows search, and then keep it updated.
    Lots of search options (date/size range/extensions....).

One advantage Windows search has is it can index text documents so index content.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

After new update I can't find how to search for files

1. After new update I can't find how to search for files - Similar Threads - update can't find

2. Can't find files after saving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find files after saving: I'm using a program called Film Forth. I saved my project in C:\Users\jenlu\Videos\FilmForth. I'm trying to use WeTransfer.com to send the project via email. When i click Upload from WeTransfer and go to the correct folder, I can see the thumbnail of the project, but when I...
  3. Can't find files after saving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find files after saving: I'm using a program called Film Forth. I saved my project in C:\Users\jenlu\Videos\FilmForth. I'm trying to use WeTransfer.com to send the project via email. When i click Upload from WeTransfer and go to the correct folder, I can see the thumbnail of the project, but when I...
  4. I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.

in Cortana
    I can't search on the Windows Search Bar and I can't search in file explorer.: I have tried so many things, installing Windows 10 again and searched and followed so many tutorials but none of them have worked. Please help me, thank you....
  5. Can't find this update with general Internet search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't find this update with general Internet search: Running Win10 Pro on Lenovo ThinkPad...everything is up to date with Lenovo and Windows. In the "Optional Updates" section of Windows Updates, there's one called: Lenovo - System - Update 9.2.0.3 Don't want to just blindly install it but searched the Internet and can't...
  6. Can't Find Search Box and Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Find Search Box and Files: Good morning/afternoon/evening, Ever since my mom gave me back this laptop, it has been acting very strangely. 1. My screen was upside down, but I fixed that. 2. My settings kept changing without my permission. I don't know if that's fixed. 3. Whenever I try to search...
  7. How to find file location in search function?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to find file location in search function?!: Hey guys, At some point windows has changed the search function. I used to search for a file or folder, then when finding the file or folder. I would hit the 'up arrow' directory function in the explorer window. It used to go to the folder where the found file was stored. You...
  8. I can't find the search box in start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't find the search box in start: I can't find the search box in start https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-the-search-box-in-start/be3945d0-efae-4aa8-bdcf-78a5a5909b79
  9. Can't find files in HDD after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find files in HDD after update: when I upgraded to windows ten I selected keep nothing when it asked me what files I wanted to keep thing it would delete all the junk I don't need on my pc, but after the upgrade my HDD was just as full as it was before. so I tried to manually delete stuff but now when I...
  10. Searching, but why can't I find them?

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching, but why can't I find them?: I have folders that contain daily files of data from my router. I have been trying to files named ConnectionStats that are followed by a date, so the full nam would be for example: ConnectionStats-yyyy-mm-dd-hh.mm.ss. Searches on ConnectionStats-yyyy succeed if the yyyy is...