Windows 10: After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro)

Discus and support After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I decided to do a windows reset on my surface pro 2017 because the digitizer was behaving strangely. I chose the 'deepest' reset option (the one that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChrisBeh, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ChrisBeh Win User

After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro)

I decided to do a windows reset on my surface pro 2017 because the digitizer was behaving strangely.

I chose the 'deepest' reset option (the one that is recommended for when you give away the pc afterwards).

Everything seemed to have worked smoothly, but after it was done, I can't open the start menu (either via the keyboard or the on-screen button). Instead the cursor shows that little blue circle that indicates some loading process I presume.

I also can't type in the search bar, can't open windows settings via the keyboard shortcut (win+i), can't open that side bar menu (button does't work at all and swiping on the touch screen displays a white window, which vanishes after 1 second).

Clicking on the battery symbol and the wifi symbol in the task bar doesn't do anything except the blue icon on the cursor. My Microsoft Defender Security Center displays an icon in the task bar that says that there are some issues. When I click on that icon it opens the blue loading screen titled 'Microsoft Defender Security Center', which vanishes completely after 1 second.

There are few things I can do. I can open the file explorer, windows store and the mail app via the icons in the task bar, I can adjust the loudness via the icon in the task bar and I can open the windows ink menu via the task bar icon.

I have reset windows twice via the trouble-shoot menu that appears after interrupting the boot process twice. I also managed to boot into some kind of diagnosis tool that way which didn't detect anything. I also did an sfc scan via powershell which detected nothing.

So I don't know what to do anymore and need some help from you kind people.

Greetings,

Chris

:)

ChrisBeh, Jul 13, 2018
  2. YOU
    You Win User

Advice required - Post Upgrade - Suspect Pro 2 is Bricked

Before try that, have tried resetting the UEFI options?

To reset the Surface Pro to the default UEFI settings, follow these steps:

• Press the Power button and the Volume Up button at same time while are starting the Surface Pro device.
    • Set Trusted Platform Module (TPM) to enabled.
    • Set Secure Boot Control to enabled.
    • Press Install Default Secure Boot keys.
    • Press Exit setup, and then save the changes.

3. armym3 Win User
    WarRock 3D Detection don´t works

Hello Guys,

i had a problem with my Card. The card didn´t wanted to change in 3D Modus. Ok now i removed the other 2 Pins and now it runs in 3D Modus in 3DMark06 too. The Card is a HD 2900GT. But my Game WarRock don´t runs in 3D Modus. Is there a List where i can start the game in 3D Manual? Because in Automatic it don´t want start because the Card don´t see that it is an 3D Game. Can someone help me?

armym3, Jul 13, 2018
  4. rian30 Win User

After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro)

Nokia 5530 don´t start

Last year I bought a nokia 5530 but a few days ago it don´t start.. It just appear the nokia logo and nothing else... I´ve been trying to hard reset it like you say in here but it doesn´t work... Please help

rian30, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

1. After Reset: start menu and general windows settings don't work anymore (Surface Pro) - Similar Threads - Reset start menu

2. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  3. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  4. Surface Pro - Reset to Factory Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Surface Pro - Reset to Factory Settings: Hi, Since I no longer use my surface Pro for my business, I want to reset the device and start from scratch. I'm not nervous about doing this and understand it might take a while for the system to update the latest patches, but I can live with that. I am twitchy about...
  5. Start Menu and ms-settings don't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and ms-settings don't work: Greetings, When I woke up and turned on my PC everything was normal but, when I signed in everything was black I can move my cursor around and open task manager but nothing else. After a few minutes, the desktop loaded and now I cannot open the start menu and any of the...
  6. 'Settings' icon in the start menu - not working (Windows 10 - Surface Pro 6)

'Settings' icon in the start menu - not working (Windows 10 - Surface Pro 6): Hi, When I click on the 'settings' icon in the start menu - nothing happens. Please provide a fix for this. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-icon-in-the-start-menu-not-working/15b00fb1-ab2d-4e2d-aae1-3898f3e8e6fc
  7. Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro

Start menu inoperable and nothing working after reset of new 2017 Surface Pro: Hi everyone, I have just traded my 2017 macbook pro for an equivalent spec 2017 Surface Pro, and did a full reset to factory with the full disk clean option to ensure there was nothing lurking in hiding on the SSD, and after the reset process finished reinstalling windows...
  8. After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    After Windows 10 Reset, Start Menu, Cortana, Settings not working: After resetting my Surface Pro 4, it's essentially non-functional. I can't bring up the Start Menu. I can't type anything in the Search Bar. Cortana doesn't work. If I do a Win+R ms-settings:, I get "Package could not be registered.". Edge does not open. I've done the...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4: Hi guys, I just got a Surface Pro 4. I was having no issues, until out of the blue, the taskbar and start menu on it stopped working, and now it's an empty, glitched taskbar [img] I tried to restart the explorer process (which made it worse), restart the machine...
  10. Start menu doesnt work anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu doesnt work anymore: Hello. I am using windows 10 since a few weeks now and already encountered a startmenu bug earlier on. This was because of the Teamspeak Overlay which caused the startmenu to be completely unuseable. Ive removed this plugin and ever since everything worked perfectly, until...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu wont work after reset

2. surface pro 4 not working after factory reset

3. reset device now start menu does not work

4. surface settings doesnt start,
  5. surface windows menu doesnt work,
  6. start menu not working after factory reset,
  7. windows doesnt work after reset,
  8. settings on surface dont work,
  9. settings dont work in surface pro,
  10. start menu settings dont work,
  11. start menu and settings dont work,