Windows 10: After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???

Discus and support After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ??? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have been working with my computer with Windows 7 Pro for manyyears without any problem. My graphics card is the GTX 570 from Asus. It uses Nvidia... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by PatrickVn, Oct 9, 2015.

1. PatrickVn Win User

After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???

I have been working with my computer with Windows 7 Pro for manyyears without any problem.
    My graphics card is the GTX 570 from Asus. It uses Nvidia drivers.
    After upgrading to Windows 10 i am having problemswith the view of Windows menus and pages.

After every restart something goes wrong and inthe start menu i no longer see icons, tiles, names,...
    Also if you go to settings pages of Windows theyhave display problems.
    All applications seem to work fine and everythingis displayed okay in the applications.

I already tried these drivers: 358.50 / 355.98 andnow 355.82

This is what it looks like:

When everything is working

After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ??? [​IMG]
    [/URL]

When it fails after restart

After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ??? [​IMG]
    [/URL]

It is not Windows update that makes it failbecause this happened already 3 times in one day.
    When i re-install the drivers everything turnsback to normal.

Anybody have an idea how to fix this on apermanent basis ???

:)

PatrickVn, Oct 9, 2015

2. Windows Update

I performed both methods. The win explorer restart from the task mgr changed nothing. Using the search option in #2 probably pulled up the exe icon instead of the start menu shortcut. I
    knew it wouldn't work because the issue was not with the pinned tiles. Every tile on the start screen that has no picture is from a "dark" icon in the start menu (One that lost it's picture after the windows update.), but I did try it. Also, the troubleshooter
    found nothing.

Forrest Richardson, Oct 9, 2015
  3. I have lost the start menu and tiles, after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi John,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur, when some of the system files got corrupted.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Perform System File Checker (SFC) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Run DISM commands
    and check if it helps.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a new command line tool that you can use to service a Windows image or prepare a Windows PE image. The DISM tool replaces the Package Manager (pkgmgr.exe), PEimg, and Intlcfg tools.
    DISM consolidates the functionality found in those three tools, as well as delivers new functionality to improve the experience of offline servicing.

Follow the steps to Run DISM Commands:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 9, 2015
  4. PatrickVn Win User

Found out that the problem is also only corrected when using the advanced install mode of the Nvidia drivers and selecting the option that the Nvidia standard settings have to be reset.
    If i use express install then it doesn't fix the problem.

Anybody have this problem also and find a fix ?

PatrickVn, Oct 11, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 12, 2015
  6. PatrickVn Win User
    Hi dalchina, it is not a problem with an app. It's a problem with the rendering of the windows 10 screen.
    So re installing apps is not going to be the solution i'm afraid.
    I will probably just have to wait for the next big update in november to get this fixed.
    Will see if i can live with it for now and if not then will roll back to windows 7 and update again in december.

PatrickVn, Oct 12, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, puzzling as your graphics card is listed as compatible, and it's only the 'new' apps you have difficulty with. But agreed, the appearance of that tile in the second screen is weird. However it's "Asus Direct CuII GTX 570" so maybe there's some odd difference..

Try this: Download and install the uninstaller from here and run the program:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.4.0.0
    Let it remove all of the Nvidia drivers.
    You then have a choice: install the one that worked before in Win 7 and block any update, or reinstall:
    or once back in normal mode, then use GeForce Experience to reinstall the latest driver.

(Some have found adjusting the DPI works for some problems.. not very satisfactory perhaps).
    Noted you've posted here:
    Windows 10 upgrade: after restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ??? - Guru3D.com Forums

Workaround maybe: replace the start menu for now if you want to use the PC- say Classic Shell (which I use, having no real interest in the tiled apps, and I need the expanding menu with columns + a reliable focussed start menu search).

But that still leaves you the new Settings windows (ok, the old control panel is still there for many things, but not new).

dalchina, Oct 12, 2015
  8. PatrickVn Win User

I tried that already. Removed the drivers completely in safe mode. Everything looked same like after a first windows install. Then installed the drivers but did not fix the problem.

PatrickVn, Oct 12, 2015
  9. PatrickVn Win User
    With classic shell you mean the side programm this puts another start menu in place ?
    that would fix the start menu problem, but i also have artefacts on the new settings screens

PatrickVn, Oct 12, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Exactly- I believe I commented on that. Sorry if not clear enough. "But that still leaves you the new Settings windows (ok, the old control panel is still there for many things, but not new)."

dalchina, Oct 12, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Can you confirm the driver was the one you used in Win 7, and that when the problem recurred, the installed driver was still that version and had not been replace by Windows update?

If you install and older (or newer driver than you should have according to MS/your manufacturer) Windows will replace it unless you block that update.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2015
  12. PatrickVn Win User
    Yes i can confirm that it was the same driver that i used in windows 7. I checked the version number in the device manager after my second attempt with the upgrade.

PatrickVn, Oct 12, 2015
  13. After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???

It happens to me too, usually after gaming sessions. There's another topic about it in the gaming section. I haven't been able to narrow down yet if it's a Windows issue or an Nvidia one, but I'm leaning towards Nvidia.

blackroseMD1, Oct 13, 2015
  14. PatrickVn Win User
    Found the topic and posted a comment with my latest info on the topic After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ??? :)

PatrickVn, Oct 13, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just to be sure- did you check the version number of the driver after the restart and the tiles/display corruption was apparent?

dalchina, Oct 13, 2015
Thema:

1. After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ??? - Similar Threads - restart tiles icons

2. The Xbox icon in the Start menu won't dissapear!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Xbox icon in the Start menu won't dissapear!: Hi.I've probably tried every single advice in this Community about Xbox, but to no avail.I am so tired of Xbox and all the other apps I have to live with - Cortana, Edge etc but I have found ways to get rid of these. But the Xbox icon is stubborn, and it simply will not go...
  3. The Xbox icon in the Start menu won't dissapear!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Xbox icon in the Start menu won't dissapear!: Hi.I've probably tried every single advice in this Community about Xbox, but to no avail.I am so tired of Xbox and all the other apps I have to live with - Cortana, Edge etc but I have found ways to get rid of these. But the Xbox icon is stubborn, and it simply will not go...
  4. Icons started dissapear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons started dissapear: Hi! I was searching for an UWP app and then its icon was not there. It was like a corrupted photo icon in the explorer. Im running Windows 10, build 2H02. Only when I search them are like that. When I have in the taskbar pinned, they are normal.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Can someone...
  5. Icons started dissapear

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Icons started dissapear: Hi! I was searching for an UWP app and then its icon was not there. It was like a corrupted photo icon in the explorer. Im running Windows 10, build 2H02. Only when I search them are like that. When I have in the taskbar pinned, they are normal.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Can someone...
  6. Start Menu Tile Blank After Changing Icon

Start Menu Tile Blank After Changing Icon: I have an Access shortcut to my database which I store in the Users....Star Menu/Startup. The tile in the start menu is blank when I unpin it and then repin it with the new icon. I even changed it back to the default icon and it didn't help. Now I must re-create the...
  7. How to change Start menu tile icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  8. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  9. desktop icons dissapear with start menu

desktop icons dissapear with start menu: [ATTACH][ATTACH] when windows loads nothing appears, but when i open something or right click on desktop everything appears. sometimes when i open something and minimize it everything goes off again. some one know how to fix this? thanks...
  10. How to assign icon to start menu tile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to assign icon to start menu tile.: I've got an old app from Everett Kaiser called Sherlock. I've got the app pinned to my start menu. The icon is a smoking Calibaster pipe. Recently the app icon changed to what I would describe as a white page. I've tried to unpin from start and repinned from app on c: drive,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 start tiles dissapear after reboot