Windows 10: After start seeing desktop icons flash

Discus and support After start seeing desktop icons flash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Couple times today, I've seen the desktop icons all flash/flicker for a micro second. You know the type when something installs and desktop refreshes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Aug 16, 2016.

1. After start seeing desktop icons flash

Couple times today, I've seen the desktop icons all flash/flicker for a micro second. You know the type when something installs and desktop refreshes. But of course I am not installing anything. So possibly something background happening/updating. Is there some kind of process monitor/log that I can open to determine what happened?

:)

Scottyboy99, Aug 16, 2016
  2. tiffy68 Win User

Untitled messages after start up

Thanks for your help, I have now restarted the laptop only to find a black desktop and flashing icons! These do settle down after a while but appear to start flashing again when file explorer is selected.

tiffy68, Aug 16, 2016
  3. dpepper73 Win User
    Why do my quick launch icons flash when I click on the Chrome quick launch icon? Win 10

Before I start the Troubleshooting, I just wanted to tell you that the Google quick launch icon is the only quick launch icon that causes the other icons to flash. As far as desktop icons go, the Google Chrome desktop icon is the only one that makes that
    quick launch icons flash. Sometimes both Google Chrome icons will cause some, or all, of my desktop icons to flash.

I'll try the Troubleshooting method as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks.

dpepper73, Aug 16, 2016
  4. After start seeing desktop icons flash

Totally speculating but maybe it's Windows defender causing it. I notice the defender icon since anniversary update now sits handily in the system tray. After a login I notice after a few minutes it obtains an exclamation Mark purely because I haven't ran a scan in a while. I wonder if it's that which causes the desktop icons to flash/ re draw in a micro second. I've just ran a quick scan to eliminate that prompt/exclamation to see if it stops this.

woukd be good to know how to see the timeline of updates, events , installations though. I know there is a way where it displays in chart format. Before the recent store update it was the only way to see what apps were updated and when (if the update process was on auto). But I cannot remember or find what it is one has to launch to see it

Scottyboy99, Aug 17, 2016
  5. I found the cause of the flashing icons. There was an office update early yesterday and now this is seemingly running all the time.

i did re enable onedrive to run at Windows start yesterday which in turn also seemed to add icon for office upload centre to system tray. Is it anything to do with that

EDIT : I notice this is happening on our other machine too so it must be to do with the office 365 updates yesterday morning. Question is, is it normal to now run this at every boot/login and what does it do?

After start seeing desktop icons flash [​IMG]

After start seeing desktop icons flash [​IMG]

Scottyboy99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

After start seeing desktop icons flash

1. After start seeing desktop icons flash - Similar Threads - start seeing desktop

2. Icon flashes on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon flashes on start menu: An Icon flashes on my start menu so fast I cannot identify it. There are no new applications running in the "icon section" on the lower right hand corner of the start menu, and in the task manager there are so many running processes, I have no idea what it could be. How can I...
  3. Icon flashes on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon flashes on start menu: An Icon flashes on my start menu so fast I cannot identify it. There are no new applications running in the "icon section" on the lower right hand corner of the start menu, and in the task manager there are so many running processes, I have no idea what it could be. How can I...
  4. Icon flashes on start menu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and taskbar flashing/blinking: Icons on desktop have become enlarged and they flash periodically along with the taskbar. I'm not able to open the start menu at all. In safe mode it doesn't flash but the warning "The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application..." keeps popping...
  6. Flashing Thumbnails and Desktop Icons 2019

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flashing Thumbnails and Desktop Icons 2019: I have this problem when I navigate with Windows Explorer into certain Folders. Desktop Icons flash between outline and picture. File Thumbnails flash between outlines and Thumbnails. Green bar never finishes. Computer is almost unusable and Windows Explorer has to be...
  7. Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10...
  8. Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Blinking/Flashing Icons on Desktop PC: Hi: I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen and icons that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 build 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting...
  9. Desktop flashing icons loop problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop flashing icons loop problem.: I've been away for a couple weeks and started up my desktop with Win 10 Pro 64 a couple days ago. No problems until yesterday afternoon when it rebooted by itself as it sometimes does when left idling. I figure it's auto updating since we can't choose when we can't choose...
  10. Desktop icons occasional flash

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons occasional flash: It's not very often at all but now and then the desktop icons will refresh in a split second, is this normal? I also use fast start/boot. It's very quick, goes through bios and login screen is instant but the icons don't all pop up on my desktop immediately, some of them...