Windows 10: After Update , Folder/File Rename issue

Discus and support After Update , Folder/File Rename issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My windows 10 just got an update for v1709, after that, Got an issue , Rename folder/file command is not working in any drive (HDD also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PriSim, Nov 12, 2017.

1. PriSim Win User

After Update , Folder/File Rename issue

Hello,

My windows 10 just got an update for v1709,
    after that,
    Got an issue , Rename folder/file command is not working in any drive (HDD also USB) , but on desktop/userfolder its working fine. i searched google but got no solutions regarding this, everyone is asking about permissions error , in my case even rename box is not appearing against the name, tried right click rename and press f2 also,rename box is not appearing under the icon.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

PriSim, Nov 12, 2017

2. Cant rename files and folders in the Backup & Sync folder

This is happening after I installed Windows 10 creators update 1709.I cant rename files and folders present in Backup & Sync folder elsewhere it is working fine.Now to rename files and folder I have to click properties and then edit file name in the text
    box field. How to re-enable rename function either by pressing F2 or just by clicking on file name for my backup & sync folder?

PrasadMV511, Nov 12, 2017
  3. Renaming local files and folders issue

When I try to rename a folder or file in my local drive on my laptop (in Windows explorer), Windows allows me to rename the folder or file. The issue is that it gives me an inconsistent amount of time to rename the folder or file. Sometimes it will give
    me 5 seconds to rename it or 2 seconds, but it never works properly (no time limit). Does anyone know of a fix?

*I am on the Windows 10 anniversary update

destructor1022, Nov 12, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, @PriSim. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

I wonder if you lost administration rights.

Check in Settings app > Accounts > Your info > Is yours an Admin account?

Tony K, Nov 12, 2017
  5. PriSim Win User
    Checked already , but yes in account info it says "Local Account" "Administrator"

PS: Folder is renaming normally from properties

PriSim, Nov 12, 2017
  6. PriSim Win User
    Any help ? i am totally stuck *Sad

PriSim, Nov 12, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    It looks to be a bug. Many are reporting this in 1709. Try this for grins. Restart File Explorer in Task Manager (Ctrl/Shift/Esc). Locate the "Windows Explorer" process under the Processes tab and left-click on it to highlight. In the bottom right click Restart. Does it work until reboot?

Tony K, Nov 12, 2017
  8. PriSim Win User

Thanks @HippsieGypsie dear for your time.

I did that but nothing happened. same issue. I can rename folder/file from properties but not directly , rename option is not working.

One more thing i want to ask here , can i delete windows.old folder located in c: drive ?

PriSim, Nov 12, 2017
  9. PriSim Win User
    I also tried , permissions settings , but i think its something else

PriSim, Nov 12, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. May be a UI bug. I noticed you have the Enterprise edition. Is that correct? If so, are you part of a domain?

Tony K, Nov 12, 2017
  11. PriSim Win User
    Yes i am using ent. x64 v1709 build 16299.19

No i am using it for home purpose not local or network domain.

One more thing i want to ask here , can i delete windows.old folder located in c: drive ?

PriSim, Nov 13, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Yes you can if you don't want to roll back to previous edition. You might want to consider that carefully. You may want to roll back and update again. It may solve your context menu problem.

Another thought is to run SFC to see if that fixes that problem.

Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  13. PriSim Win User

PriSim, Nov 13, 2017
  14. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  15. PriSim Win User
    PriSim, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

1. After Update , Folder/File Rename issue - Similar Threads - Update Folder File

2. Renaming folders and files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming folders and files: File folders and documents won't rename without refreshing. New folder won't appear without refreshing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-folders-and-files/d173a7c3-230a-4a92-b71b-bb8308c3730d
  3. Update issue: file not found while "renaming software distrib folder"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update issue: file not found while "renaming software distrib folder": Hi, I have an error message after I try to do the Windows update 20H2: Error code: 0x8007000dI tried some advanced steps on the windows page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-updating-windows-10-188c2b0f-10a7-d72f-65b8-32d177eb136cAnd I saw...
  4. renaming pic files in folder.

renaming pic files in folder.: Various numbers and letters. This was easy with a simple right click on each pic and insert saved name+ 0 2,3,4,5,6. Now the operation is predicting and inserting and duplicating??? Thus needing more and more reworking - Why?...
  5. Strange folder renaming issue

Strange folder renaming issue: I'm currently using Windows 10 pro fully updated, I have a shared drive, that 4 other PC's access We have a folder for completed jobs (job folders are named with last invoice number) And one for current jobs When moving job folders between the two Renaming the...
  6. Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders

Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders: Hi, I have a client who uses offline files on a laptop and has Windows 10, version 1803. He is not able to rename any of the files or folders under his redirected Users folder, which is set to use offline files. I have checked permissions and there are no issues there....
  7. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...
  8. Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder: New here and first time posting here so I apologize if Im in the wrong section. So I made a file back up onto a 2TB My Passport external hard drive using Windows 10 File History backup. I later renamed the folder to something other than the standard "FileHistory" windows...
  9. Cannot rename folder or file by clicking after updated to kb4041994

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot rename folder or file by clicking after updated to kb4041994: Dear all, I am using windows 10 64 bit. I found I cannot rename folder or file by clicking or right-clicking after updated to kb4041994. It doesn't give any response if I try to rename. I can only rename the files on my "Desktop", but cannot on other drives. Is there...
  10. Issue with renaming files under picures folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with renaming files under picures folder: Hi there whilst trying to rename a "new folder" I would start typing and then a few letters into the name it will throw me off the new folder icon and take me back to the top of the page with the "new folder" un touched. Same issue in pictures folder on desktop hard drive....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 ent v1709 issue renaming files and folders